More Watch Tower Cost Cutting!!! Smaller Magazine to be Announced

by cantleave 230 Replies latest members private

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

It actually surprises me that the brothers & sisters are so conscientous about contributing for the mags.

Even when I was a true believer, after the donation arrangement came in and we stopped charging for the mags on the doors, I kind of adopted a 'sale or return' attitude toward the literature.

I'd take, say, 5 WT & 5 Awakes, per issue for 20 per month, I'd 'place' about 12 on service, and 8 would go on the unplaced magazine pile. If I got a donation for the mags, which was rare since I never asked for money, I would of course put that contribution in the box. I think I viewed it that my contribution was my time.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Only about 33% of the world population has access to the internet ... don't you feel sorry for all of those who will not have access to those important articles that will only be available online? Especially for those in Asia and Africa ... ... sad, so very sad.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

• blondie
    blondie

I did talk to someone in the printing/publishing business in my area and they said

1) half the printing businesses no longer exist

2) paper once was 10% of a printing bid; now it is 50% due to the increase in paper prices

3) even paper companies are suffering, going under or combining with other companies, not being able to market paper at a price they can make a profit at.

The WTS can't use just "cheap" paper but paper that works with their printers and the ink (purchased, not made in house for years....)

When the WTS stopped having the rank and file pay for the publications (full price not reduced as in my days for pioneers), they lost a big source of cash streaming in. It has taken 22 years but they are truly reaping bad for that decision.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Well, they needed to keep their tax exempt status... So they had to switch to donations. How many JW's do you think actually give donations out of their own pocket for the literature they place in Field Circus? I very rarely saw anyone put their own money in those boxes when they picked up their literature order for the month. And people giving donations at the door were very rare. By my estimation, they've lost a lot of revenue by making the decision to go "donation basis". I even saw some of the brothers and sisters take donations that were procured at the door and use it to buy something on coffee/lunch break!

A less lengthy magazine, less magazines per month, equals out to a big savings on printing...which, let's face it, even though they claim to be run on donations, they're not. Most of their money comes from real estate and stocks. Eventually, they'll see that their REAL money is in danger of being eaten up by the "front" that is known as the preaching work because donations don't cover the cost of printing, even with the major cutbacks. At that point, I foresee them closing down all printing and going to electronic media altogether...Which begs the question of who is going to pay for the JW's who have no money for a computer or smartphone or tablet? How will they get their "Spiritual food"?

I really hope this is a huge crack in the Watchtower's foundation.

• mrquik
    mrquik

Maybe they should move the entire organization online. Unfortunately, the current median age of the remaining rank & file has to be about 60. Many of these people have no experience with the "EVIL WEB".

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The majority of the old timers in my parents' congregation don't have Internet access.

• watson
    watson

As Blondie mentioned, next move...1 Monthly Awake (that's for the folks that don't know anything about JWs), Montly secret Watchtower for direct heavenly direction to the congregation. After that, quarterly Watchtower for studies, and the latest on Andre.

• hoser
    hoser

if they totally stopped the printing there would be no busy work for the dubs to do. No busy work and the witnesses might actually start spending time doing evil things like sleeping in or spending time with their families on the weekends.

I think if they stop printing the whole thing crumbles

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Why are they worried about saving money? Aren't they just going to throw it into the streets when the end comes?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit