IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

• Nambo
    Nambo

Still Thinkng, I wondered that question as well, if the JWs where wrong, how come I felt Gods Spirit?

Firstly, I dont think they where wrong on every single count, in fact I still consider they hold more truth than any other religion, but I still also consider that other religions also hold some truth as well.

Now maybe you where in fact recieving Gods Spirit because he could see in your heart that you whwre serving him, not a religion, and that you personally wanted to belong to him, irrispective of what thr religion you happen to be in teaches, what Iam saying is the Holy Spirit doesnt belong to the religion, it belongs to God and he gives it to those he wants irrispective of where they are.

I figured this to be the case when I found people in other religions with far less thruth tha the Witnesses, also experiecing God in their lives, and Iam sure they are not all lying, and also, when I, independant of the Witnesses, tried to get back that relationship with God, I did and recieved the Spirit again.

I feel it is no differant to the days before the Witnesses ever came about, if people wanted to be close to God, he would welcome them, even though the "faithfull and descreet slave" hadnt been chosen and which I still belive is the case.

• mP
    mP

nambo

if god really wanted to help you, he would have changed ypur dads personality in the very beginning. also why is god helping you but ignoring half a dying continent in africa who are literally dying like flies and luving in shit? does god ignore them because they are black and im guessing listen to you because you are white(a guess)¿

• tec
    tec

Now maybe you where in fact recieving Gods Spirit because he could see in your heart that you whwre serving him, not a religion, and that you personally wanted to belong to him, irrispective of what thr religion you happen to be in teaches, what Iam saying is the Holy Spirit doesnt belong to the religion, it belongs to God and he gives it to those he wants irrispective of where they are.

Agreed.

If being part of the jw religion stopped you from hearing God or His Son, then how could anyone hear him to be led out?

No doubt (in my mind) that those within the religion hear as well. Or in any other religion.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

I do hear what you are saying Nambo...and I had to stop and think when you said this....

Now maybe you where in fact recieving Gods Spirit because he could see in your heart that you whwre serving him, not a religion, and that you personally wanted to belong to him, irrispective of what thr religion you happen to be in teaches,

But...(theres that but again)......Why did he not read my heart after I finished with the JW's? Why are there so many stories on here of how painful it was for people wanting god in their lives but not finding him...have you read some of them? My experience was the same. It was painful to let go of the idea of a god...because I wanted to believe. If he is real...he obviously didn't think that was good enough. What did he see lacking in my heart?

Surely, if people are sincerely wanting the truth...which is what I wanted...god would help them with that. Not abandon them. Once I got over that feeling of abandonment...I started to realise that there was a distinct possiblity that the God I thought was in my life only existed in my head.

• Nambo
    Nambo

Hi MP,

Answering your first line would take many pages going right back to issues raised in the first few chapters of Genesis, Iam sure you have read them and now the issues, Suffice to say, God hasnt brought his Kingdom yet and his will wont be done on Earth until he does, so he certainly doesnt go around changing the personalities of the Godless, if he did, we would surely still be in Eden with all the knowlegde of bad erased from our minds with the Devil saying, "see, he knows Iam right".

As for your second question, probably on similar lines, I dont know enough though, I can only surmise, maybe the White West has enjoyed greater blessings because it embraced Christianity and its ideals before the third world?

Maybe God is helping lots of Black people in Africa who genuinely desire to be close to him and you are just reffering to the sufferings of those who are unfortunate enough to not only live in oppressed and poor countries, but dont desire the genuine relationship with God?

I wonder what it wa like in Jobs day, God was looking after him a s Job wanted to be close to God, maybe at the same time there where millions of people elsewhere starving to death in other parts of Jobs world?

And I wouldnt go so far to say, "God is looking after me", I live a lonely and miserable existance, what God did for me that day was a small and easy thing, no more than giving somebody his Holy Spirit, to let them know they have been rewarded by God by him letting himself be found by them due to them having really groped and searched for God as the scripture says.

Even Christians still suffer and die, all God does at the moment is give them the comfort of knowing that he exists and that he will undo all the suffering when his Kingdom comes, he doesnt put a fence around them and serve them like some Genie of the lamp.

• sizemik
  • just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

I think every one of these threads should get one thing straight:

The believers and everyone else make comments like this: "Depends on what you want to belive really."

Here's the problem - believers certainly do believe because that's what they want to do. Non-believers, faithless, undecided, whatever anyone wants to call them, also WANT TO BELIEVE. Many have made prayers of strong undeniable faith and all sorts of pleadings with God, sometimes for years and years, to just have something more than what could be construed as a chemical or emotional feeling inside. They ask exactly in the way that other personal revelationists have told them to with just as strong faith, if not stronger and more patience. All that's needed is something, maybe a connection of some sort, but something different and beyond statistically coincidental that if put to the test, could never be chalked off to an outlier.

But it never happens. That doesn't change the fact that they WANT TO BELIEVE. They're just unable to because there is no evidence of supernatural intervention whatsoever. What the personal revelationists claim as their own evidence can be clinically shown to be emotional, chemical, and/or neurological activity. Add to that the fact that personal revelationists receive their "special insights" that always happen to coincide with their religious/cultural/environmental background and exposure. Western = Judeo Christianity revelations, Mid-east = islamic, far-east = hindu/buddhist, etc. Then of course there is the utter lack of real significant intervention as the following illustrates that point:

So yeah, anyway - HAPPY FRIDAY everybody!

• still thinking
    still thinking

Nambo...would it be fair to say that you KNOW god is real because you attribute good things that happen in your life...to God? Or do I have that wrong? If so, how do YOU know he is real?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Nambo...your last post is like walking into a minefield...I'm now waiting for the explosion!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit