IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking
    The test from diamondiiz seems more like trying to get God to do tricks on demand, even though the result would be inconclusive... no matter the particular result. ...tec

I don't see this as a test on God...I see it as a test on your claims...god is not claiming it...you are...You are claiming to know which are scripture and which aren't...it would be interesting to see if you all came back with the same result...wouldn't that support YOUR claims? You all already claim to hear from god, you all quote scripture...you must already know which is or isn't. Just interesting to see it....on your own... would you all get the same result?

There are so many interpretations of the scripture...and the interptetors all claim to have some insight. If that is true...some must be wrong. The question is....WHO?

By the way...preachers of all types don't like to be questioned or back up what they say and use the blanket statement that you are questioning god. Lets not confuse the two...no one is qustioning god...he is not on this forum discussing this. He is not making any claims here.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Tec, you seem to be grasping at branches that disintegrate as you touch them. I can't help but feel pained at your words, the posters smell blood and I see you on the ledge of a long hard fall. Your reasoning and mental gymnastics seem less convincing and more angry in hidden tone than I have ever heard from you before. Please bare in mind people are trying to show you the reality of misbelief not tear you to shreds.

It is ironic that to point out the fallacy of someone's faith, to tear down their belief system is seen as such a callous act, cold and quite evil. Yet in reality it is done with care and concern for the person under misbelief....and the irony.... Well the person with the faith thinks its perfectly fine that all non believers get mushed up by their god for not believing. That's cold, callous and evil.

I can see you faltering Tec, you are realising the folly of it all, accepting verses that sound good to you and rejecting those that disagree. You could do that with the Quaran, hell.... You can do it with shakespeare. But none of these methods equate to these scrolls as being holy texts. Come on tec, take a breather and examine your world view. Your answers are becoming more convoluted and confused, some don't make sense at all, almost as if you have to reply with something for your own appeasement.

Bless ya tec, but none of it is true, none of it, you are a good person, it's as simple as that. A nice, humble, friendly human being. The verses you read in these Jewish scrolls that fit your personality feel right to you, the ones that don't..... dont. Tec you are MORE moral than the god of the bible, a nicer person. Quit defending a beastly deity, for he/she can't even here your defence.....

All the best Tec, please think this over xxxx

Snare x

• still thinking
    still thinking

bleccctttccchhh....Bible.........this is why I didnt want to specifically discuss the bible on this thread....it just goes round and round.

And if it is not how you know tec...lets stop discussing the bible.

I think I have got a pretty clear idea of 'how you know'....it's because god/Jesus whoever....speaks to you personally. I can't argue that. And don't really want to.

I am glad to have gotten Wizards interpretation...via PM...and everyone else's that have taken the time to share their personal feelings here.

That is why I asked the question...I can only assume that people who have different beliefs than christian know the same way...either they are believers in a god within the self...a type of self knowlegde...or an external god who somehow communicates with them and supprts their knowing. Then ther are the believers who do not seem to need the contact...they see god in the beauty of 'creation' and gradual revelations and clarity. As I said...knowing seems to be a very personal experience not necessarily supported by tangeable evidence.

I know this seems simplified....but I haven't really gotten any other reasoning from this thread.

• tec
    tec

You are claiming to know which are scripture and which aren't

I know some that is, and some that is not, according to how they are presented... and also according to how they agree or conflict with Christ.

But this information is there for anyone to see. So 'we' probably would come back with the same info.

I don't see this as a test on God...I see it as a test on your claims...god is not claiming it...you are

But the test requires God to either cooperate or not.

bleccctttccchhh....Bible.........this is why I didnt want to specifically discuss the bible on this thread....it just goes round and round.

Sorry, I forgot what thread we were on, lol.

But I could not answer the question without them.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Actually...I found Wizards the most interesting reasoning of all so far...shame it was a PM...but wizz...out of respect, didn't want to post scripture..Thanks Wizzz.

Maybe, wizard would be game to post the PM here.......maybe not... But it was quite interesting.

*edit* I have just seen you're thread Wizard... http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/223648/1/THE-KINGDOM-OF-HEAVEN-an-esoteric-existential-point-of-view no need to post PM here.

• still thinking
    still thinking

But the test requires God to either cooperate or not.tec

It does not.

Your own reasoning says it doesn't....

I know some that is, and some that is not, according to how they are presented... and also according to how they agree or conflict with Christ. tec
  • diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Most people with problems don't admit to having a problem - especially when it has to do with mental illness. Some can live normal lives while others end up on the street. One thing worse than not seeking professional help is when a group of people with similar symptoms get together and support each other to believe that their condition is normal.

If Jesus/God spoke to people He could easily reveal things about the unknown without taking offense to being questioned. Stories of Abraham, Moses, and others we read in the bible show that Jehovah has been questioned (you can imply it's like a test to question God) on matters and God didn't simply strike them dead. If a voice can't reveal something unknown about external world it can be assumed that the internal voiced being heard feeds on the hearer's memories/ideas. Since a hearer of a voice doesn't know me, it's unlikely for the voice to tell the person my real name or anything personal about me that I haven't posted already here. Obviously God/Jesus/Satan could pass that information to the hearer.

Bible is a book of myths and fables and without it we wouldn't know the fable of Jesus Christ which again means that without past knowledge of the bible there would be no voice from Jesus in someone's head but rather a hearer most likely would imagine the internal voice to be someone familiar to them, maybe a dead grandma, dead mom, or maybe a smurf :)

• tec
    tec

Snare, you have kindness, and I know that you mean well. But you do not see me, even though you think you might. I'm not angry; no hidden tone. You are reading something that is not there.

It is ironic that to point out the fallacy of someone's faith, to tear down their belief system is seen as such a callous act, cold and quite evil. Yet in reality it is done with care and concern for the person under misbelief....and the irony.... Well the person with the faith thinks its perfectly fine that all non believers get mushed up by their god for not believing. That's cold, callous and evil.

I have no such belief or thought.

I also DO think that it is careless to tear down the faith of someone who might have nothing else, and if you cannot offer something to replace it. I would not do that to someone whose faith I thought was false either; though I believe that someone else's faith is their business, and between them and their god. (As long as it hurts no innocent person)

I can see you faltering Tec, you are realising the folly of it all, accepting verses that sound good to you and rejecting those that disagree.

No, love, I really am not. In truth, I cannot understand at all, how some would think that any other words should take precedence over Christ's words. Makes no sense to me at all.

You could do that with the Quaran, hell.... You can do it with shakespeare. But none of these methods equate to these scrolls as being holy texts. Come on tec, take a breather and examine your world view. Your answers are becoming more convoluted and confused, some don't make sense at all, almost as if you have to reply with something for your own appeasement.

I could. The Qur'an makes quite a case for showing mercy and that being most important to Allah. I haven't read it all though, and some tets seem to contradict it. But I do not pretend to understand a book written in another language, and what meaning might be derived from it.

But my faith in God is not based on the bible. It is based on Christ, and also the world around me.

I think you want the above things that you have said to be true, and I think you project them onto me. But I am calm. I am at peace. My answers (concerning Christ and the bible) are no different than they have always been, and you could check my very first thread on this board to see this for yourself.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

If Jesus/God spoke to people He could easily reveal things about the unknown without taking offense to being questioned. Stories of Abraham, Moses, and others we read in the bible show that Jehovah has been questioned (you can imply it's like a test to question God) on

matters and God didn't simply strike them dead. If a voice can't reveal something unknown about external world it can be assumed that the internal voiced being heard feeds on the hearer's memories/ideas. Since a hearer of a voice doesn't know me, it's unlikely for the

voice to tell the person my real name or anything personal about me that I haven't posted already here. Obviously God/Jesus/Satan could pass that information to the hearer.

Anyone can question God. Ask him anything you like.

You wanted to know if me and others who hear Him would rewrite the bible in the same way. That wasn't a question. That was a test, to see if we (or He) would perform in unison. Since looking at the bible to base your faith upon, instead of Christ and in spirit, is backward from what Christ taught, then this 'test' is wrong. Plus, it would not prove anything.

But anyone can look at the individual books and see which are based on investigation or a simple account of history, and which claim to be inspired.

Same with the 'tests' of what you might be wearing, or listening to, or whatever. These are designed to trip someone up. They are not a sincere request for a sign (which is a lack of faith). You don't believe for a moment that God is real or that anyone hears anything in spirit.

So why should God or Christ answer to such a 'test'?

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking
    No, love, I really am not. In truth, I cannot understand at all, how some would think that any other words should take precedence over Christ's words. Makes no sense to me at all....tec

We don't have christs words tec...we have mans words...it's called the bible and it is written by men. From my understanding, nothing was actually written by Jesus himself. If I had christs words....I mean...If he actually spoke to me, of course I wouldn't take anyones over his...but I don't. And apart from you on here, no one else seems to at this time either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit