IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik
    It your neighbor has a manager for his estate and that man has brought it to ruin, then you're not likely to hire this man to then manage your estate, right? So it is possible to know if someone is going to go their own way, or your way, based on what you have seen them do. . . . tec

I see . . .

In applying your analogy then, all those who God reveals himself to have a pre-existing track record of good management practices that God approves of. All of us who remain in the dark have a ruinous past record and are not worthy of him. God knows in advance we're not "qualified"

Or does your analogy mean something else?

• still thinking
    still thinking

iCeltic...

I think that's what the OP was asking for, proof. I have no proof whatsoever to say God doesn't exist, I've also never seen proof that he does but I'm willing to say that I don't know.

In a way yes, although I know that trying to prove god is real is nigh on impossible. So on this thread I do not require anyone to provide proof. I simply ask, how you know? The thing with that is, that for an individual to KNOW god is real it must be an intensely personal experience. And I am interested in what those experiences are. NOT to dispute them. Simply to hear them.

tec....

It was about what you said about the feelings associated with 'hearing' God that got me thinking last night...and I have experienced those feelings, exactly as you described. The problem I have, is that when I was experiencing them, it was when I was deeply involved with the JW's....was nearing baptism and I was praying to Jehovah! Directly asking Jehovah for his help...and from where I was standing, I got it. This is what makes me uncomfortable about the experience you describe. How do you know it is God? I thought I did, but since then I have not experienced it again. When I stopped praying to Jehovah...the experience also stopped. Although my belief in god did not. This is why I wonder if it was more a matter of my will than his.

I am not in any way trying to say that your experience is NOT real. Just trying to clarify mine.

N.drew...

Thanks for continuing with the discussion, the lack of bible and wibble is truly refreshing for me. The one comment of yours that stood out to me was that you heard a voice say 'I love you' and I think you said it was in another language. I can honestly say I have never experienced that. But if I did I don't know how I would react.

Thank you all for contributing...I'm going to continue reading my way through.

I am hoping that others with belief in God will still contribute and will not be put off or afraid because they don't want their belief picked apart. I am looking forward to hearing more opinions.

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

No you are not incorrect.

I believe god to be my higher self.

It is the only logical way I have been able to reconcile myself with myself.

Our conscience is the way we determine right and wrong, what is right for me may be wrong for you though. I can accepy that.

• still thinking
    still thinking

tornapart...thank you for sharing that. I can see that to you it all makes sense and adds up and it is very personal for you. From the bottom of my heart that was how I also felt so I can relate to what you are saying. I used to look at the world and see the beauty God created, I was in awe. Unfortunatley I do not feel that way anymore...hense my question to people who still do.

again. thank you.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I am a believer in the existence of God, at least for now.

However it continues to boggle my mind, why God wouldn't make it apparent that he exists, and also why he, seeing the religious confusion today in the world regarding different beliefs, wouldn't clearly state in present time exactly what he wants and how he wants it. It would clarify things once and for all, instead of leaving us to our own confused minds.

• tec
    tec

In applying your analogy then, all those who God reveals himself to have a pre-existing track record of good management practices that God approves of. All of us who remain in the dark have a ruinous past record and are not worthy of him. God knows in advance we're not "qualified"
    Or does your analogy mean something else?

Okay, I'm not feeling the most clear-headed at the moment, but I'll try to be clear.

Some people show themselves to be trustworthy in very small and completely unrelated matters. God has a bigger view than we do.

Personally, all I think it takes is a willingness to want to do God's will... then follow Him, and the One He sent to show us the Way. If we cannot listen to Christ, or truth, or love... and if we do not even try, then how can we listen to God?

I think you got the gist of what I meant with my analogy in regard to those who DO hear, or receive a gift of the spirit.

But I don't attempt to say anything at all about those who do not 'hear', in any sense of the word. The only thing I know about that.. is that without faith you will not hear. And if you have no intention or desire to do his will, then I think it unlikely that you will receive any gift meant to build the body of Christ.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

WTWizard...

Just because God is real doesn't make him benevolent

I am going to think on that comment. Thank you.

I the mean time you have asserted that he is in fact real...How do you know?

• tec
    tec

It was about what you said about the feelings associated with 'hearing' God that got me thinking last night...and I have experienced those feelings, exactly as you described. The problem I have, is that when I was experiencing them, it was when I was deeply involved with the JW's....was nearing baptism and I was praying to Jehovah! Directly asking Jehovah for his help...and from where I was standing, I got it. This is what makes me uncomfortable about the experience you describe. How do you know it is God? I thought I did, but since then I have not experienced it again. When I stopped praying to Jehovah...the experience also stopped. Although my belief in god did not. This is why I wonder if it was more a matter of my will than his.

I hear you. I am trying to be as clear as I can in my responses to help you in your self-examination.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

panhandlegirl...welcome, I don't think I have read any of your posts before.

I have a question for you though...is that enough for you to believe? Or do you have other reasons that confirm to you that god is indeed real?

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

@Tec

How onerous it can be sometimes to do His Will. Judas is the perfect example; afterall somone had to hand Jesus up, it was God's Will and just consider the bad rap he got for doing it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit