IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• N.drew
    N.drew

mrquick I love that watch analogy.

Did you see the Iron Giant the children's animated movie? The giant gets bombed. The pieces scatter. But they are "programmed" to reassemble. I believe in God the Creator because I can not wrap my mind around the simplest blind pieces of matter finding the right other pieces to make something that functions at the amazing level that life functions at. How does one piece "know" it belongs to another?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Timebandit....gosh man, thats a lot of anger at something you don't think is real.....

I tend to get angry about religion and the people who push it...it's leaders. IMO thats fair enough...but to be angry at God...since I'm not sure he exists anyway...I just cant find it in me. ..I don't think I've ever been angry at god per se, but I have been frustrated at the contradictions sometimes.

I do find a lot of the bible repulsive...but it still doesn't make me angry...just disgusted.

Or are you angry because you think there IS a God, but you just don't like him?

• mP
    mP

still:

i think you will find the discussion relevant, at the least you will see how xians ignore the text from scripyure and accept stories invented at some later stage to explain absurd stories such as seeing satan being behind everything, such as eve and the snake.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Ok mP...I will go back and read it....but if you make me read those bible verses for nothing.............grrrrrrrrrrr

I would like to point out that I do not think christians are the only ones who believe god is real...which is why I didn't want to limit it to christians and the bible...I'm not sure the bible is relevant to overall belief/knowing...if it was, there wouldn't be other religions that don't use the bible.

• xchange
    xchange

As to the watchmaker analogy, I like this definition from Wiki:

The argument conflates the difference between the complexity that arises from living organisms that are able to reproduce themselves (and as such may change to become more complex over time) with the complexity of inanimate objects, unable to pass on any reproductive changes (such as the multitude of parts manufactured in a watch), the comparison breaks down because of this important distinction. *bold added for emphasis.

• tec
    tec

I can't decide between the two scenarios.

Maybe because neither scenario is right?

Maybe God is shown in a true light by the bible, or the Israelites and the many laws and addendums to those laws that appeared over time.

Maybe God is shown only by One... by Christ.

Peace,

tammy

(and thanks, Loz... I'm feeling a bit better now)

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

Timebandit ....gosh man, thats a lot of anger at something you don't think is real.....

I don't really carry a lot of anger around. I guess I have passionate feelings about God if there is one. No devine purpose should include the unspeakable things done by/commanded to do by 'God'. Usually the only time I even think about it is when I see treads about it on forums. I don't mind if people think I'm mistaken concerning my views about 'God'. It's a free country (maybe not). What I beleive makes me happy and that's all that matters.

Chris-

Thumbs up

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

And this is the problem. Everyone wondering about The Supreme Being when I am right here to talk to.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Still thinking - I only referred you back to my intro thread re the Q&A about the spiritual experience. I do realise that words don't do such experiences justice, but they're all we've got to try and exchange the information. I do think you've hosted your thread with dignity and respect to all, by the way, on a highly controversial topic.

Loz x

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...You are always welcome to comment and share your ideas. ..." Still Thinking

Hee hee hee heee!!!

Under normal circumstances I would, but I would not be able to stay on-topic in this thread...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit