Theists, why does God allow suffering..

by The Quiet One 754 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Sarcasm: missed

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

What???

You people don't accept the insightful answer provided by Fred Franz??? He was a member of the faithful slave!!!!

The all powerful God, creator of heaven and earth, has decided to watch his precious children tortured, maimed, handicapped, raped and murdered for century after century................because HIS name is so important.

What?? You mean, you wouldn't want to watch your children be raped and killed over and over and over and over again......just to make sure you had a good name in your neighborhood?

Yeah..........uh............the absurdity knows no bounds, huh? A human wouldn't DREAM of such a course, but a perfect God would???

Absurd doesn't even define it.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Apog: Guess you might be right there. But seeing as this creature replaces the fish's tongue and supposedly causes no other damage, it didn't sound like the best example of suffering when I read it. Anyway, I'd still love for someone to ask a Jehovahs Witness this question the next time they knock on your door..

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

God allows suffering because it is not possible to have good without bad, pleasure without pain and up without down. One logically necessitates the existence of the other.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

So an animal couldn't enjoy it's life without the possibility of dying of cancer for example?

• cofty
    cofty

Seraphim I have been a careful observer of theodicy in all its forms for the past 10 years.

Your remark is the most facile I have ever encountered.

Tell this lady that everything she ever loved has just been destroyed because she could not have "pleasure without pain".

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I’m not sure it would be a very tactful thing to say to this lady in the picture! However it would not be untrue to say that without evolution and all its tooth and claw, over millions of years, she and her beloved child would not ever have been born in order for this sad occurrence to have ever happened in the first place. Would you say to her that it would have been better if she or her child had never been born, or that evolution is best if it had not ever happened because of this picture? Is that facile? When many die in an earthquake it is due to a natural mechanism that allows life to exist on earth, which also allows many to enjoy aspects of life. This poor ladies suffering cannot be separated from what all experience in this life both good and bad.

Pointing to this emotive bad picture is an attempt to side-line the logical connection between good and bad.

Even evolution demonstrates that good comes with bad and with bad good!

When it comes to animals, I would certainly agree that an animal couldn't enjoy its life without the possibility of dying of cancer generally speaking, because mutation of cells is one way evolution works.

• cofty
    cofty

I have no patience for your ivory tower responses to human suffering.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I wouldn’t concern myself with one less virtue than you have already cofty. My responsiveness to human suffering relates to real people, not pictures taken from the internet as a tactic to try and win a point in a discussion.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Seraphim said: "When it comes to animals, I would certainly agree that an animal couldn't enjoy its life without the possibility of dying of cancer generally speaking, because mutation of cells is one way evolution works."

What kind of a God would require His creation to go through so much pain and horrific deaths, in order to develop? An incompetent one or a callous one?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit