Still a hard line on DF family members WTApr15 2012

by Gladring 138 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    The sad fact is that it has the opposite effect, including sucide so it cannot be divinely inspired - as that law is based on what is the loving thing to do.

A brother in our area was driven to suicide because his family turned against him, and he wasn't even disfellowshipped. This guy had three brothers, and all of them told him that they wouldn't have anything more to do with him if he didn't start coming back to the KH. He was also losing his house, and he asked his parents if he could stay with them for awhile until he got back on his feet. They told him that his wife could come to stay with them, but he could not.

• steve2
    steve2

It's disgusting - no argument from me. On the other hand - I'm being careful how I word this - how anyone who is disfellowshipped could vainly continue to try to have contact with his/her family over a 10-year period beggars belief. If the stories true, I wonder how many actual overtures he attempted??

Why would any self-respecting person keep approaching flesh and blood who have so completely and utterly scorned him?

Why couldn't he summon the wherewithal to build his own life apart from these cold-blooded zombies? Presumably he's not still in diapers and absolutaely needing parental guidance?

If this man had managed to build his own life, to take responsibility for his life, rather than remaining addicted to familial cuddles, he could have preserved his own integrityand built his own affirming relationships elsewhere. God knows the world is full of people who've had to abandon their birth families for all sorts of reasons, yet who have accrued their own families in response. I've seen people who've gone crazy and/or gone back because their families have so throughly scorned them. Once returned , they remain pathetic, hollow creatures who know damn well they have sold themselves and their personal integrity short.

No, as disgusting as the policy is, it can become one more "incentive" to get out and stay out - and to steadfastly refused to be manipulated by emotional blackmail.

• Violia
    Violia

Steve2

maybe

he's very depressed having grown up in this cult and has no social skills and does not really fit in the "world" . Also, many of us continue to try and keep contact with our family even if they reject us. Let the rejection be on their part -let them never say we did not try and include them as family. They show themselves for what they are, hate filled , when they laugh at our attempts to still include them as family.

The story may not-be true or the attempts may have been as mild as an occ postcard, email, phone call, invitation to a wedding etc. It does not mean they were pathetically sitting on the jws doorstep- although the article would like you to think that.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Why would any self-respecting person keep approaching flesh and blood who have so completely and utterly scorned him?

I don't believe the 'young man' in question is over 30 or even approching 30. I could be wrong but I don't remember the WT referring to people around 30 as 'young', especially where men are concerned because by that age they should bloody well be an elder or at the very least an MS. Probably around 25 or 26 at most and was df'd as a teenager. It isn't even necessary to read between the lines to see how hard core this 'exemplary' family is, so the kid was probably unceremoniously kicked to the curb at 17 or 18 and left to fend for himself with no way of really knowing how to be happy.

Having said all of that, I don't think this is real either - just a happy amalgem of many stories of deprivation and heartache to draw from.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

"Think of that if you are ever tempted to violate God’s command not to associate with your disfellowshipped relatives." - w2012 4/15, p. 12.

This is such bullshit. "God" never commanded such a thing. The best they can come up with is twisting the words of Paul of Tarsus.

I am so angry right now I could ....

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

First off, don't get angry about this. We are all victims. In the time since I left, none of my living family, including my dad, will talk to me.

Sucks.

Take comfort in the fact that many have, and will continue to disobey this idiodicy. When I was an elder, this was a big problem, and it will continue I am sure.

There are borderline families who will follow, but this article will push just as many the other way. Don't worry, the Governing Body can't win this. They are leaders of a type of cult. You have to expect that their #1 play, shunning, will be promoted.

Having said that, I will also say that these idiots more than ever are a CULT CULT CULT!

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

First off, don't get angry about this. We are all victims. In the time since I left, none of my living family, including my dad, will talk to me.

Sucks.

Take comfort in the fact that many have, and will continue to disobey this idiodicy. When I was an elder, this was a big problem, and it will continue I am sure.

There are borderline families who will follow, but this article will push just as many the other way. Don't worry, the Governing Body can't win this. They are leaders of a type of cult. You have to expect that their #1 play, shunning, will be promoted.

Having said that, I will also say that these idiots more than ever are a CULT CULT CULT!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

ATJ: How can I NOT be angry. My two adult sons won't talk to me because of the ungodly lies and emotionally manipulative BS printed in these cult propaganda rags?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Sorry 00DAD. I apologize, you're right. I don't have to deal with it everyday like you do.

What I mean is, there is little anyone can do to change it. We can only change our response.

But I feel bad that I came across as coldly as I did. That's not how I feel about it.

Be patient and loving, and perhaps in time, they will come back to you. :)

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Well isn't this just lovely. I can see my MS brother-in-law showing this to the rest of my family as soon as he can. I'm not even disfellowshipped, but he says I should be. And he already yelled at my father for allowing me to come to a family gathering, "forcing him and _______ to not be able to attend." Poor fella.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit