Still a hard line on DF family members WTApr15 2012

by Gladring 138 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

the burning desire to be
    with them became one motivating factor
    in his restoring his relationship with
    Jehovah.

Its disturbing and perhaps disgusting as well in how the WTS. loads up their own laws with gargantuan

amount of self induced lies to curtail their power and control over people.

The self supporting suggestion that the only way one can perceivably establish a relationship with god

is through them and only them.

The newly constructed GB thats sitting at the top power position are incredibly more cultish in using their

persuasion to control people and make sure no one slips away from their grasp.

Of course playing god does this for these guys.

Quite frankly I'm not at all surprised being that there is so much open and revealing opposition

that is getting spread around this cult these days. In view of this the cranking up their diversionary control among their followers

has become of even more of relative importance.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Do more DFd people return because of shunning?

They don't shun to get people to come back.

They shun to keep people to KEEP the other people in.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

What is really upsetting about this propaganda from the WT is that it implies that a person can NOT have a relationship with God if they are disfellowshipped. That is so WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

As probably most of us here know, when a person requests reinstatement one of the questions that the elders are instructed to ask is if the DF'd person prays. How can a person pray to a deity they have no relationship with? They can't. A scripted follow up question is "What have you done to repair your relationship with Jehovah?" So the DF'd one is expected to have a good relationship with Jehovah BEFORE being reinstated.

So, once again, WT theology is shown to be inconsistent and illogical.

What a bunch of mind-controlling, manipulative crap. The person(s) that wrote this article and anyone that approved it for publication this should have it forcefully shoved down their throat. And, NO, I'm not speaking metaphorically!

• flipper
    flipper

I agree with Poopsiecakes that this is definitely emotional blackmail. The WT society just isn't being subtle about using it anymore. The quote that, " the burning desire to be with THEM became one motivating factor in his restoring his relationship with Jehovah. " Correction : It became THE ONLY motivating factor in restoring his relationship with the WT society, not God.

The emotional blackmail, manipulation, and control the WT society has over Jehovah's Witnesses is deplorable , insane, unethical, inhumane, gross , and just plain evil. I have an 84 year old JW mom who won't come to visit us because she has no control over her own decisions and life. My elder dad controls her as does my elder older brother. They are just puppets or tools used by the WT society. I expect the elders will be enforcing these rules even more now that it's in print . I wish this organization would just go away like a bad dream. The roblem is : It's reality. It won't go away anytime soon

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

They shun to keep people to KEEP people in.

Yep. With shit like this being forced down the throat of the average JW, anyone who is considering an exit will think long and hard about it. No wonder we see people here day after day trying to figure out how to leave without getting shunned like they are the antichrist himself.

Also brings this quote to a new level of hypocrisy: July 2009 Awake p29:

“No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family.”

• Azazel
    Azazel

Know i understand how Jesus felt sitting on the Mount of Olives and looking across the valley at Jerusalem.

(Matthew 23:37-39) 37 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent forth to her,-how often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks together under her wings! But YOU people did not want it. 38 Look! YOUR house is abandoned to YOU. 39 For I say to YOU, YOU will by no means see me from henceforth until YOU say, ‘Blessed is he that comes in Jehovah's name!'"

That article actually makes me sick. Ive already told my JW family that anyone who says they came back to be a JW because of the shunning by familiy members is a liar . For them (WTS) to commend family for acting contrary to Jesus and crushing people even more is deplorable. I hope this has been a step too far.

Does this constitute a hate crime?

My parents would talk to me because i was coming to all meetings and not associating or posting on apostate websites so i was classed as a better DF person.Guess this will blow that association away as now the WTS is advocating total severence. They have become an evil , cruel and unscriptural organization.

Jesus felt sad for what was to happen to Jerusalem and the people in it. Likewise i feel sad for the WTS, not for it but the honest hearted people in that organization who are trapped- unknowingly- and will just accept this as from God! The WTS is well known for fighting in courts worldwide to protect freedom of religion and association.How can they turn around and discriminate against the freedom of some to leave this religion? Fair enough if the person is a rabid apostate , but what of the people who are no threat ?Telling members to not even have the slightest association with DF relatives is breaching the Freedom of its members.Cruel ,hard and plain wrong.

God has abandoned the WTS and they just wont accept that. "Jehovah" is now terminology for the GB . Jesus rarely gets a mention except for the last sentance of prayer on the platform.

enough is enough.

Azazel

• blondie
    blondie

Regarding prayer and the disfellowshipped I found this; even jws in good standing cannot pray for a df'd person. (Apparently)

*** w01 12/1 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***

Does God’s direction recorded at Jeremiah 7:16 mean that Christians would not pray about someone who has been expelled from the Christian congregation because he is an unrepentant sinner?

After pronouncing his judgment against unfaithful Judah, Jehovah said to Jeremiah: “As for you, do not pray in behalf of this people, neither raise in their behalf an entreating cry or a prayer nor beseech me, for I shall not be listening to you.”—Jeremiah 7:16.

Why did Jehovah forbid Jeremiah to pray for the Israelites? Clearly, it was because of their flagrant transgressions of his Law. Openly and shamelessly, they were “stealing, murdering and committing adultery and swearing falsely and making sacrificial smoke to Baal and walking after other gods.” Consequently, Jehovah told the faithless Jews: “I will throw you out from before my face, just as I threw out all your brothers, the whole offspring of Ephraim.” Certainly, it would be out of place for Jeremiah, or anyone else, to pray for Jehovah to reverse His judgment.—Jeremiah 7:9, 15.

In line with this, the apostle John wrote about proper prayer to God. First, he assured Christians: “No matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us.” (1 John 5:14) Then, regarding praying in behalf of others, John continued: “If anyone catches sight of his brother sinning a sin that does not incur death, he will ask, and he will give life to him, yes, to those not sinning so as to incur death. There is a sin that does incur death. It is concerning that sin that I do not tell him to make request.” (1 John 5:16) Jesus also spoke of sin that “will not be forgiven,” that is, sin against the holy spirit.—Matthew 12:31, 32.

Does this mean that all who are expelled from the Christian congregation for sinning unrepentantly have committed sins that “incur death” and thus should not be prayed about? This would not necessarily be the case because in some instances such transgressions are not sins that incur death. In fact, it is difficult to tell if they are. A typical example is King Manasseh of Judah. He erected altars to false gods, offered up his own sons in sacrifice, practiced spiritism, and put a carved image in Jehovah’s temple. In fact, the Bible says that Manasseh and the people did “what was bad more than the nations whom Jehovah had annihilated from before the sons of Israel.” For all of this, Jehovah punished Manasseh by sending him as captive in fetters to Babylon.—2 Kings 21:1-9; 2 Chronicles 33:1-11.

Were Manasseh’s sins, gross as they were, the kind that incur death? Apparently not, for the account goes on to say about him: “As soon as it caused him distress, he softened the face of Jehovah his God and kept humbling himself greatly because of the God of his forefathers. And he kept praying to Him, so that He let himself be entreated by him and He heard his request for favor and restored him to Jerusalem to his kingship; and Manasseh came to know that Jehovah is the true God.”—2 Chronicles 33:12, 13.

Thus, we should not jump to the conclusion that a person must be guilty of sin that incurs death solely because he is expelled from the congregation. It may take time for the true heart condition of the individual to be revealed. In fact, it is often stated that one of the purposes of disfellowshipping is to cause the sinner to wake up and hopefully to repent and turn around.

Since the person is no longer in the congregation, any change in heart and attitude may be observed first by those close to him, such as a marriage mate or family members. Those observing such changes may conclude that the transgressor did not commit a sin that incurs death. They may be moved to pray that he may draw strength from God’s inspired Word and that Jehovah will act toward the sinner in harmony with His will.—Psalm 44:21; Ecclesiastes 12:14.

While some may be in a position to observe sufficient evidence to believe that the sinner has repented, this may not be the case with the congregation in general. They would be puzzled, troubled, even stumbled if they were to hear someone praying publicly about the erring one.For this reason, those who feel moved to pray about the sinner should do so only in private, leaving any further development in the matter in the hands of the responsible elders in the congregation.

----------

Yet five years earlier:

*** w01 10/1 pp. 16-17 pars. 12-15 How Can You Help a “Prodigal” Child? ***

12 What if a minor who lives with his parents gets involved in serious wrongdoing and because of his unrepentant attitude is expelled from the congregation? Since the child lives with his parents, they are still responsible for instructing and disciplining him in harmony with God’s Word. How can this be done?—Proverbs 6:20-22; 29:17.

13 It may be possible—indeed, it would be best—to give such instruction and discipline during a private study of the Bible. A parent must look beyond the child’s hardened attitude and try to see what is in his heart. What is the whole range of his spiritual sickness? (Proverbs 20:5) Can the tender part of his heart be reached? What scriptures can be used effectively? The apostle Paul assures us: “The word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints and their marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12) Yes, parents can do more than simply tell their offspring not to get involved in wrongdoing again. They can try to initiate and nurture the healing process.

14 An erring youth needs to restore his relationship with Jehovah. The first step he must take is to “repent . . . and turn around.” (Acts 3:19; Isaiah 55:6, 7) In helping the youth in their home to repent, parents must ‘keep themselves restrained under evil, instructing with mildness’ the child who is not favorably disposed. (2 Timothy 2:24-26) They need to “reprove” him in the Biblical sense. The Greek word rendered “reprove” can also be translated “give convincing evidence.” (Revelation 3:19; John 16:8) To reprove, therefore, involves showing enough evidence to convince the child of the sinfulness of his course. Admittedly, doing so is not easy. Where possible, the parents can appeal to his heart, using all means Scripturally appropriate to convince him. They should try to help him to appreciate the need to “hate what is bad, and love what is good.” (Amos 5:15) He may come back to his “proper senses out from the snare of the Devil.”

15 In restoring one’s relationship with Jehovah, prayer is a must. Of course, no one should “make request” concerning blatant sin that is clearly being practiced unrepentantly by any individual once associated with the Christian congregation. (1 John 5:16, 17; Jeremiah 7:16-20; Hebrews 10:26, 27) Yet, parents can ask Jehovah to give them wisdom to deal with the situation. (James 1:5) If a disfellowshipped youth gives evidence of repentance but does not have “freeness of speech toward God,” the parents might pray that if God finds a basis for pardoning the child’s error, that His will be done. (1 John 3:21) Hearing these prayers should help the youth to see Jehovah as a merciful God.—Exodus 34:6, 7; James 5:16.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Notice these points regarding repentance from the STFOG book, p. 91:

• Some indications of repentance:
      • Has he (the accused/df'd one) contritely prayed to Jehovah and sought his forgiveness and mercy?
  • jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Notice he didn't come back because he decided they were correct in their theology after all.

For those tempted to join them:

Verging on the macabre in this 21st Century, the Jehovah's Witnesses draconian practice of disfellowshipping and shunning current and former members is one of the most controversial aspects of this religion and has caused untold psychological and physical harm to thousands. The Watchtower Society mislabels the practice of shunning and disfellowshipping, as an act of love and a means of enforcing conformity.

Scriptural justification for shunning is weak, at best. It is considered by many on the outside as one of the most offensive and unbiblical tools in the Watchtower Society's arsenal of weapons used to enforce rigid conformity to their multitude of rules and regulations. Grounds for disfellowshipping, a radical form of excommunication, are legion. The list includes adultery, fornication, greed, accepting blood transfusions (with modifications), drunkenness, associating with the disfellowshipped ... the list is very extensive and subject to wide interpretation. Many of those shunned or disfellowshipped are guilty of apostasy - abandoning the religion and turning away from the teachings of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. Similar to the Mob, once you're in there's no easy way out without suffering severe consequences.

A significant amount of judging and attendance at judicial committees is involved. The act of shunning and disfellowshipping as implemented by the Jehovah's Witnesses has caused untold pain and suffering among friends and family members. Families are routinely destroyed and broken up, forever; siblings are separated, often for life, parents lose their children, children lose their parents. Grandparents are ostracized and cut off from their grandchildren for the sake of keeping members 'in.'

Most often the simple act of saying hello to a disfellowshipped person, or one who has disassociated him or herself from the organization, is forbidden. The horror stories told by the disfellowshipped, thousands of them, are ghastly and heartrending. The ancient practice of disfellowshipping and shunning causes profound psychological damage, and has led to suicide. As practiced by the Jehovah's Witnesses, their extreme form of shunning in most cases is simply cruel, nothing more.

Anyone considering joining the Jehovah's Witnesses is advised to pay close attention to the consequences and repercussions for not living up to the Watchtower Society's standards, or questioning their doctrine. The ultimate price might be unbearable and irreversible. To assist you in making the right decision and help you learn more about this practice, visit the websites listed below for additional information.

Many anti-shunning resources here:

http://www.144000.110mb.com/directory/shunning_disfellowshipped_shunning_disfellowshipping.html

• discreetslave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit