"Feeling sorry for yourself" about being hit by your husband is not Christian 2/15/12 WT Page 25 P 12

by yourmomma 449 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I haven't heard back from any I have sent out yet. I am blaming it on the holiday. I spent a day envelope stuffing, I still need to get stamps, but I am snail mailing as well. I made about 500 copies to "place" docs offices, laundromats, bulletin boards, telephone poles, anywhere I can think of. As soon as the holdays are over, I plan to troll downtown see if I can find any JW street witnessing. (looking forward to that one actually) I have given to some friends, will give to more as I see them. I plan to put this in as many hands as I can.

If I can't get anyone to listen to me, maybe someone I hand it to will have the right connections. I am just planning on trying for snowall if nothing else. I am just about telling and showing everyone.

• Gayle
    Gayle

What if this kind of article was printed and online by a U.S. 'Muslim' church with global readership, wouldn't it cause quite a stir/uproar in this country?

• libby1985
  • clarity
    clarity

{And if the WTS knew this and had the quote "watered down" in order to not create issues locally in those areas, it shows an attitude that is even more sinister than what is on the surface in reading the English version.}

Very disturbing that the 'borg' knows exactly how far they can push it with certain geographically located slaves.

A little heavier here - a little tweak there ... whatever the market will bear.

It's all about the business!

clarity

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Form letter to send to your local women shelters and abuse help groups:

Hi,

I recently read an article in a recent publication of the Watchtower, a magazine that is published by Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide.

I was appalled by the advice it gave to battered women on page 29 of it's February 15, 2012 internal circulation of the publication (not intended for the public since it publishes doctrinal issues) but still available publicly here: http://jw.org

I'll share the portion here:

Consider the case of Selma. When she began to study the Bible with Je- hovah’s Witnesses, her husband, Steve, was not pleased. He admits, “I be- came angry, jealous, possessive, and insecure.” Selma observes: “Even be- fore I got the truth, living with Steve was like walking on eggshells. He was hot-tempered. When I started studying the Bible, this characteristic intensified.” What helped?

12 Selma recalls a lesson she learned from the Witness who studied with her. “On one particular day,” says Selma, “I didn’t want to have a Bible study. The night before, Steve had hit me as I had tried to prove a point, and I was feel- ing sad and sorry for myself. After I told the sister what had happened and how I felt, she asked me to read 1 Corinthi- ans 13:4-7. As I did, I began to reason, ‘Steve never does any of these loving things for me.’ But the sister made me think differently by asking, ‘How many of those acts of love do you show to- ward your husband?’ My answer was, ‘None, for he is so difficult to live with.’ The sister softly said, ‘Selma, who is trying to be a Christian here? You or Steve?’ Realizing that I needed to adjust my thinking, I prayed to Jehovah to help me be more loving toward Steve. Slowly, things started to change.” After 17 years, Steve accepted the truth.

What I was appalled at was the advice that her abusive husband was somehow more "Christian" and the advice of the article to 'help' such individuals by staying with them in order that they "might" win them over as a convert for their particular faith even if they are treated badly.

I know this may be very specifically geared towards this particular group and I respect anyone's decision to adhere to certain religious doctrine but I do believe that this sort of advice should not be perpetuated by churches and church leaders.

Hopefully the awareness of these types of articles can help you in your goal of helping women locally.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Anony Mous wrote:

the advice that her abusive husband was somehow more "Christian"

I didn't get the impression they were saying the husband was more Christian. I gathered they were saying that since the wife is the believer and the husband is not, she should be doing the supposed Christian thing which is turning the other cheek and being more loving. Since the husband is not a believer, she should not expect much from him. She, on the other hand, should hold herself to a supposedly higher standard which may help inspire him to change his ways. The whole thing is still warped IMO, but I don't think they were saying that the husband is more Christian.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@InterestedOne: I take my interpretation from this quote: " Selma, who is trying to be a Christian here? You or Steve?" so yeah, as a "worldly" glossing this over: somehow Steve is a better Christian than Selma.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Anony Mous - I'm confused. What do you mean by a worldly glossing this over?

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Anony Mous - I think I see what you mean by "worldly glossing this over." I think you were referring to yourself. Forgive me, my brain sometimes goes off track - I thought maybe you might have meant that Steve was the worldly glossing the situation over and therefore somehow being more Christian. At any rate, I think the quote "Selma, who is trying the be the Christian here? You or Steve?" was meant to say that Steve is not even trying to be a Christian, so she should not expect him to be loving, but she on the other hand -is- trying to be a Christian, so she should be the one to step up and be loving. I didn't gather anything from that quote to mean that Steve is the better Christian.

• irondork
    irondork

Anony Mous, thanks for the format. I tinkered with it a little and am gathering addresses for the U.S. Carolinas areas.

Nice idea.

I recently read an article in the latest edition of the Watchtower magazine, a periodical published by Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide. I was appalled by the advice it gave to battered women on page 29 of it's February 15, 2012 internal circulation of the publication (not intended for the public since it publishes doctrinal issues) but still available at: http://jw.org

I will share the portion here:

Consider the case of Selma. When she began to study the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses, her husband, Steve, was not pleased. He admits, “I became angry, jealous, possessive, and insecure.” Selma observes: “Even before I got the truth, living with Steve was like walking on eggshells. He was hot-tempered. When I started studying the Bible, this characteristic intensified.” What helped?

Selma recalls a lesson she learned from the Witness who studied with her. “On one particular day,” says Selma, “I didn’t want to have a Bible study. The night before, Steve had hit me as I had tried to prove a point, and I was feeling sad and sorry for myself. After I told the sister what had happened and how I felt, she asked me to read 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. As I did, I began to reason, ‘Steve never does any of these loving things for me.’ But the sister made me think differently by asking, ‘How many of those acts of love do you show to- ward your husband?’ My answer was, ‘None, for he is so difficult to live with.’ The sister softly said, ‘Selma, who is trying to be a Christian here? You or Steve?’ Realizing that I needed to adjust my thinking, I prayed to Jehovah to help me be more loving toward Steve. Slowly, things started to change.” After 17 years, Steve accepted the truth.

The thing that struck me as appalling was the insinuation that domestic violence should be tolerated in order for this woman, and all women reading this article, to be considered “Christian”. The scriptural account referenced says, in part: Love…does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury… It bears all things…endures all things. The motivation behind this counsel was stated as being the eventual conversion of the husband into the Jehovah’s Witness religion; with recruitment apparently being a far greater goal than the safety and protection of the women inside that organization.

This is an obscene manipulation of bible counsel for the sake of gaining more members into their organization and a blatant disregard for women, and likely children in that kind of environment, around the world.

I realize the article in this magazine may be specifically targeted towards this particular religious group and I respect anyone's decision to adhere to certain religious doctrine, but I believe that this sort of advice should not be perpetuated by churches and church leaders.

It is my hope that awareness of these types of articles can help you in your goal of helping women locally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit