The general atheist meaning of life

by mankkeli 106 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheUbermensch
    TheUbermensch

^^^^^^ exactly what I was going to say

• cedars
    cedars

Mankkeli's silence in the face of questions is quite telling. I'm bored of this already, goodnight everyone...

• ReallyTrulyAthena
    ReallyTrulyAthena

@ Jay88 - "Rob Kardashian" - LOLZ

Sooooo, MankyPanky -

I have posted this on another forum where I mentor on Spirituality

Fo' REALZ? You're a mentor now, too? And on Spirituality, to boot! OY. You are "something else", that's what you are.

Like others on this thread - I too have found meaning of my life without a belief in God. I respect those who chose to believe in God, even though my own path has brought me to atheism. So, why say my life has no meaning, or I'm unable to find meaning unless I think just like you, just because I believe differently? And don't throw out the whole "you hate God" or "you're bitter" or "atheists don't believe in ANYthing". I do "believe" (in a lot of things), it's just my belief system is different than yours. That's it in a nutshell.

You can keep your pity, thankyouverymuch. I need no title to define who I am. I need no "self-given assignment" to feel better about myself. My purpose is to walk this life as I see fit. Your purpose obviously is to go tell other people who to be...and how to live their lives...and to hand out labels..........as your life much be oh so unsatisfactory, that you have to go "fix others".

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

bohm: Teemu was my student, I mentored his doctoral research.

unfortunately they are all in finnish, I am strongest at finnish, my mother tongue.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Shame your tongue isnt spiritual with all the name calling you seem to relish in! NASTY.

• bohm
    bohm

okay, so what did you write in finnish which actually got into a journal? (and which one) I am merely asking for something with your name on in an academic journal.

I am *extremely* surpriced that you claim you can write a phd without publishing anything in english. What about conference proceedings? finnish to? what about abstracts? finnish as well?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    I am stongest at finnish, my mother tongue.....Mankelli

................... ...OUTLAW

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

I love the display of high morals by our dear Mankeli Salmela (PH.D.), especially in the replies to disagreeing board members. Unfortunately I was not able to find any publication for this author either... One might expect that there was something read all over Europe, it would have to be translated in something else than Finnish or Norwegian. I hope sooner or later we get a title or picture of the publication.

Back to topic, one might question what is the purpose of life of an atheist. Most probably there is no one-fits-all answer, there are so many possiblities. People engage wholeheartedly in so many things, with almost a "religious zeal"(nature-activists like Greenpeace or sea-sheperd, music, sport clubs, politics, charity organizations, etc...), that it becomes as fulfilling as religion is for others. Many do not have a "spiritual void" in life that needs to be filled, but are entire satisfied and balanced without religion.

It should also be recognized that not everybody who does belief in God, has found a purpose in life connected to that belief. As fading JW, I know that the JW meetings have gotten very low on the spiritual level, I was not getting any spiritual satisfaction out of it. The same can be said about the current output of the watchtowers printeries. To make the purpose in life dependent on it, is almost a guarantee to get spiritually exhausted. Unfortunately many find this out, when they are depressive and burned out.

The lack of moral barriers in the atheist-mindset, is a very weak argument, as the history of religion is full of deeds by people who did the most cruel things in the name of God. And unfortunately it is still going on. The criminal record of the Scandinavian countries, which are predominantly atheist, is way better than in many so-called more religious countries (e.g. Mexico, USA or Brazil). I believe you must be aware of that, if you live in Stockholm, or studied in Tromsö.

So I am afraid the ideas of our dear Professor do not have many legs to stand on. But that is just my 0,02 $.

Hoffnung

• Heaven
  • JonathanH
    JonathanH

And that article is about punctuated equilibrium in evolution. So you're also an evolutionary biologist now? Why isn't this person banned yet? Who is the administrator around here?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit