The general atheist meaning of life

by mankkeli 106 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

When you nitpick, you start finding little holes in thinking like that, and then those little holes tend to grow.

Technically speaking, from a physical standpoint we're a random mass of atoms. If I have no fear of being killed, why shouldn't I kill you for disagreeing with me?

A hypothetical situation that is possible but highly improbable:
    Lets say I can't be killed, and my possessions are 100% safe for sure. Why shouldn't I kill other people, even if it brings me pleasure? Why shouldn't I steal more?

You get what I am saying? In situations where there won't be consequences, and you can be sure of it, without religion there's no point in stopping.

• jay88
    jay88

@Rob Kardashian

What a pity?, atheists don't believe they need a "purpose", and they dont even try figuring out that purpose for themselves. they only have the self given assignment, (i.e. worker, wife, mother, vegetable grower, etc). That's ridiculous.

You are like a person, that plays darts in the dark,......you do not have a clue.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

ubermensch is misrepresenting what you are saying in order to invalide your conclusion

"Meaning is an essential part of human psychology, though some feel the need for it less than others,"

Incorrect. Contradictory statement. If I say that all triangles are NOT circle-ish but say that some ARE sort of circle-ish I would sound like an idiot. You can't say that meaning is an essential part of human psychology and then say that some people don't need meaning.

• Twitch
    Twitch

In situations where there won't be consequences, and you can be sure of it, without religion there's no point in stopping.

If you say so, but this speaks more about you and your opinion of people than those you attempt to judge.

It could be said that some atrocities in history were not stopped because of religion but were caused by it. The crusades, inquisition, etc

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

"What this thread is to address is the most commonly assumed purpose of living associated with atheism, but is rarely consciously understood: survival."

HA. You just made a generalization about millions of people throughout the world. You think that since I don't believe in God I only care about survival? Give me a break. The subconscious is not concerned with life or it's meaning, that is a conscious thought (read some psychology).

uber - as for your reply above it does not even make sense.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The term "meaning of life" is very subjective to the max, meaning in life is what you determine or perhaps determine not to define. Meaning varies from person to person and changes with time usually.

The only meaning you find is subject to the limits of ones own imagination,,be it an atheist or true believer,,what was one's cultural conditioning, and what type governmental indoctrination remains firmly rooted,,as the famous patriotic,,saying goes : "I regret I have only one life to give to my country"(Nathan Hale). They all play a part in what one would ascribe as meaning in life.

I'm afraid that we have reached the information age and may be the meaning in life is the number 42, I forgot what movie that was but a huge computer was asked the question about the meaning of life and so after crunching the number for god knows how long it spat out 42 as the answer.

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

soft+gentle you have PM

• designs
    designs

Us vegetable growers will rise up against you! Be prepared for Turnip Wars!

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

@ Mankelli

Den minste du kan gjøre er gi tittelen til eders PhD avhandling. Du kan ikke veldig godt si "Jeg har ikke tid til å skrive en annen domar gir deg noen informasjon. Også du er en buffoon." Du synes å oddly och bort fra enhver informasjon som kan bli fort verifisert. Jeg lurer på hvorfor ....

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

uber sounds like you are frustrated with yourself

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit