Social Networks giving strength to JW protest in Canada!

by koolaid-man 76 Replies latest jw friends

• mouthy
    mouthy

When I picketed at Brooklyn Bethel. We were able to talk to the Police that
    were standing guard...They told us,that the reason the WT was getting so
    many converts ( this was 1988) was because they were such WONDERFUL
    landlords to the folks they rented the apartments on the street too.They did
    there own Garbage pick up,But they also told us,they had STRICT rules for
    the tenets,No partying,no smoking,no noise,they said they were their own
    Police....Our bus load would go every Oct 19 for years,Then the WT got on
    to us & the next year,they were out there digging up the pavements with
    so much noise ,the Police said....They knew we were coming got the permit
    and told the Police WHY!!!! T shut us up.
    The Cops....Didnt agree with the WT at all. But said if every religion
    kept their Parishoners doing as they were TOLD to do.The Cops would
    not have work...Utopia!!!!!Paradise earth!?But the cops we spoke to
    admitted they were going to heaven....And was glad they were not
    so foolish as to believe all we were taught.Asked MANY Questions,
    as to WHY???? would you do as MAN teaches????

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I'm pretty sure that there are no openings for clowns in Rick's "Greatest Show on Earth" considering he's the mayor of clown town. I thought he was bumped from the forum. My faith in God is shaken again!

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Hello Paralipomenon , the last time I was counseled for my attire was by an elder. I will try to dress better for my next protest, hope I did not stumble anyone. Sorry my suit and tie is unbecoming of a protester.

Your first website was over the top, poorly designed and hard to read. It's obvious that marketing isn't your strong point. You did end up changing the format of the site and now it's a bit better, though the color scheme does cause strain on the eyes to read.

When putting together a message you need to consider who your target audience is. If it is non-witnesses, then scope the protest site out before hand on a similar day (ie. previous Saturday before protest) and note what people are wearing. If they are in three piece suits, put a three piece suit on. If they are in khakis and golf shirts then dress the same. People are more receptive to a message from someone they consider their peer.

For a witness watching, if you blend into the casual foot traffic, then the natural place for their gaze is to look at what's different, that being the signs.

If you look like a used car salesman and stick out like a sore thumb, people will focus on you. For non-witnesses they will look at you and at the smartly dressed witnesses and wonder if you lost a barfight. For witnesses you look like their least favorite elder which isn't endearing to the message either.

There's ways of protesting and making points. Protests are a dime a dozen and mostly lead by people that have no idea how resonate with their target audience. If you don't care how your message is perceived, then why should they?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

If you don't care how your message is perceived, then why should they?

Exactly.

• Quandry
    Quandry

There's ways of protesting and making points. Protests are a dime a dozen and mostly lead by people that have no idea how resonate with their target audience. If you don't care how your message is perceived, then why should they?

Now I get it. I went back and read your "story." You are young, with a college education, and are adept at using a computer. I really must point out, however, that your narrative had several grammatical errors. If you are planning on using any computer programs to help JWs out of the organization, please be aware of this and perform thorough spell and grammar checks before you publish any information. I can tell you that many people are very put off by reading information that hasn't been correctly spelled or uses poor grammar, so if you want to "resonate with your audience" and "care how your message is perceived" then please be aware of this.

It might help you to know that a large segment of the population is still not completely computer savvy, including, of course, JWs. Obviously, this may not apply to all younger ones, but as a whole, it does. Take me, for example. I am 59 years old, and so know more people in my age bracket and older, many of whom are computer illiterate, or know only how to navigate their e-mail or facebook accounts. Therefore, to grab their attention, protests with placards are sometimes effective. Not all should be assumed to be "people that have no idea now to resonate with their target audience" as evidenced by the current picketing going on in Austin, Texas, by teachers seeking more money for education. They know their target audience, and are reaching them. They've garnered a lot of press coverage, much of it on the front covers of newspapers, and have been featured on television.

As to the dress, I'd like to point out that even Presidential candidates will take off their coats to be perceived as "the common man" while seeking to identify with people, so it doesnt' necessarily follow that all the folks will only take someone seriously if they look like an investment banker. Grooming is important, but the latest style may not be. Rick appears to fall somewhere in the middle-certainly the peer of the majority.

It follows, then, that you might look to technology to help JWs out of the organization, and so does Rick, but your styles would differ, as evidenced by Rick, who also feels that placards and protests still work. Rick may be "resonating with his target audience" by leading protests and attempting to make person to person contact, which is the way we older folk sometimes like to do...that is, engage in conversations with real live people, instead of always communicating through an impersonal computer message. Both can be effective; they are just different modes of reaching people. I think this is his "way of protesting and making points."

Hope this helps you to see that there is room for both avenues of contact with that "target audience."

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Quandry:

You are right that I have horrible grammar. Most of my online posts are merely opinion or experiences. If someone were to point out gramatical errors, I would thank them and try harder in the future. That said, if I were to launch a public initiative I would recognize my weakness in spelling and grammar and get any written material proofread first.

With that as my weakness, if I disregarded it and posted a picture of myself holding up a sign with a glarring gramatical error in it, would you defend me and say that it is my way of making a point?

I considered letting this slip, but I always delight when a person chastises someone else for spelling and grammar while missing some in their own post. :)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

So far 14 are attending:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=211106648922175

I am not the biggest fan of protests but I would like to see this one grow into something. For some reason I feel like there is potential in Canada.

• Quandry
    Quandry

With that as my weakness, if I disregarded it and posted a picture of myself holding up a sign with a glarring gramatical error in it, would you defend me and say that it is my way of making a point?

I considered letting this slip, but I always delight when a person chastises someone else for spelling and grammar while missing some in their own post. :)

Glad you could "delight." Whatever you have to say about me is probably true...I was "in" for over thirty years....didn't get an education as that wouldn't be an example to others in the congregation. I am trying to make up for that now, and am in college. Plus, when I was in my 30s and before, I looked pretty good...at 59, I don't pretend anymore.

Yes, I chastised you for your spelling and grammer, because you are setting yourself up as above others and their methods, stating that your views are the only correct ones, hence downing theirs. You didn't bother proofreading....yet you think nothing of letting others know that such a petty thing as their appearance doesn't meet your approval. The issue is that Rick, Mouthy, and others are willing to get out and try to help people to think for themselves, not display the latest and most expensive fashion designs. Just as you are not proficient in spelling and grammar, they (and I) are not appealing to people on the basis of their outward appearance, but on their genuine concerns for their lives and futures.

I personally never saw people picketing in front of a Convention, even in over thirty years, but I can't help but think that seeing "regular folks" that were dressed normally and seemed sincere might have caused me to question, if only briefly. How I wish I could have spent the last thirty years differently; if anyone is able to help others "out" by doing what they are, I applaud their efforts.

At this point, let's just agree to disagree. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Everyone.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

At this point, let's just agree to disagree.

I have the feeling that you didn't really read my whole post because it sounds like we agree on several issues. :)

However I'm glad to read that you are in college though. I am a major proponent of people reaching for their dream job. Too many people settle for what's the easy or comfortable.

• koolaid-man
    koolaid-man

The message is obvious, we are not in agreement with The Watchtower Org.

One must wonder ... "WHY"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit