Any of you folks from the awesome state of Colorado??

by SweetBabyCheezits 82 Replies latest jw friends

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

I'm a thinkin magwitch likes where she lives! Geez you ever think about selling timeshares? LOL

We've been tossing around a few different areas. Colorado is on our "wish-list". I've also thought about the Pacific Northwest too. Possibly Tennessee if we didn't want to move across the country. It would be far enough away to have a bit better of a climate and yet have all the seasons. My wife still wants some snow on occasion...But I hear Tennessee gets a lot of ice. Don't like that idea.

The bad thing is the housing market is CRAP right now and we would need to sell our place first, so until then it's simply wishful thinking! But one day........

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Colorado Springs here. I might move more toward Denver eventually... but it is really affordable here (compared to California, at least... my previous home). I've found good work here with nice, normal people. Local stores suck.. you usually have to drive to Denver if you want to buy anything that isn't Walmart/made in China crap.

The whole state is a great place also if you're into outdoor activities. Off-roading, hiking, skiing, etc. Lots of amazing places here that are simply off the map and unknown (I can literally drive for an hour and camp in a spot where nobody else is within a 10 mile radius most summer nights. No park fees, nothing. National Forest for as far as you can walk... People you meet on the trail are generally quiet and respectful.)

There's a surprising amount of really creative people here, as well, considering it's a sort of military-based sleeper/family town. I am usually tutoring at least 1 person in game development from local collages. And I'm having a TON of fun with the local amature film groups. Lot of meetup.com activity here.

- Lime

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Yes, Colorado Springs is pretty conservative...but why let that bother you? Your family would be too busy with outdoor recreation to care what a few uptight folks in the north end of the city are chirping about Focus on the Family. Just fish, camp, hike, and breathe deep the fresh mountain air.

But if conservatism does bother you, you can find the outdoor, healthy lifestyle in Boulder.

• WhereWasI
    WhereWasI

Lived there for about 6 months after leaving the Motown (Detroit) we thought Colorado High ala John Denver. h-m not so much. Every time we went camping in the mountains....it was rainy. Went away thinking Mountains=Rain. Well we moved on to the Pacific Northwest. Still it rains. I did like Bolder though. And I remember Estes Park and liked it. Seriously though you just have to try it, you never know what you might like. Of course having a job wherever you go is most important.

• zoiks
    zoiks

I just saw this thread, SBC...our fam has been casing the joint, too. We're staying put for now, but Fort Collins is very high on our wish list for the reasons already stated.

We really like where we are in general, but the climate and cost of living give us some serious wanderlust for several months out of the year.

You'll just have to pave the way. Get in your covered wagon and go west, young man! We'll crash on your couch once you're settled.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    MTS: The bad thing is the housing market is CRAP right now and we would need to sell our place first, so until then it's simply wishful thinking! But one day........

I feel your pain - the recession caused us to abort a similar plan to move last year.

Then again, we've seen similar houses sell in our neighborhood this year and that's given us the hope and confidence we need to put ours on the market. Granted, we're looking at significantly less ROI than we might have collected two years ago. But based on our circumstances, we're willing to take a smaller profit to get out of Dodge.

If anyone could reliably predict that the housing economy would bounce back in the next couple of years, we could tough it out. But I don't expect that. And we've decided this is one of those things in life where waiting for ideal conditions may prevent us from ever acting on it.

For the moment, we have a pseudo-Chris McCandless (Into the Wild) philosophy... not to any extreme but a little more daring:

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure."
    — Chris McCandless

And then on the other hand, we want to be rational and make sure we're not just romanticizing the idea. That's a tough conflict, though. We've sacrificed a lot at the altar of rationality but we're not machines. So now should we go with the most logical, rational move? Or roll the dice?

Of course, I'm saying "roll the dice" but this is a 1-2 year plan and, if nothing else, I'm pretty thorough. A long list of requirements must be met before we set sail, not limited to gainful employment, zero debt, and school applications accepted.

After much discussion with my wife (who desperately wants to move), it comes down to this: We might regret moving to Colorado. We certainly would regret never even trying it out. At least if we go and have to bail, we'll have the satisfaction of knowing the outcome. There are too many questions in life that do not afford us the luxury of an answer. This is a question I'd like to mark off our list. At least, that's what I'm telling myself right now... in my sultry, romanticizing voice.

Of course, there are always an infinite number of derivative what-ifs.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Lime and Virgo, we're not totally against the idea of Colorado Springs. It sounds like a great location as well, we'd just like to find the town that fits us best. I'm sure we could be happy in the Springs. I've actually got a good friend/mentor who just bought his retirement house out there. The views from his place area incredible.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Every time we went camping in the mountains....it was rainy. Went away thinking Mountains=Rain. Well we moved on to the Pacific Northwest. Still it rains.

Where, um... I'm not trying to be a smartarse but... are you saying that the abundant rain in the Rockies bothered you so you moved to.... the ... desert region of the Pacific NW?

I have to consider that I might be glorifying this whole idea and find myself disillusioned when we get there. But only one way to find out, eh? I do appreciate your experience, nonetheless.

Zoiks, my friend, your family will be at the top of our list to host. We will clear the dryest spot in our tent for you! Seriously, though, I hope someday we can share an ice cold "locally-brewed" Fat Tire and re-read this thread and say, "Damn, we should've thought of that sooner!"

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Boulder is awesome, I could happily live there. Thunderstorm in the Flatirons was one of the cooler things I've experienced.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aaaaaarrrrgh!!!

MORE people moving into Colorado???

Give it a rest, guys!!

HOLLYWOOOOOD has already discovered us; isn't that enough punishment??? And then there's the Texans...

Makes me mad enough to dig up that blabbermouth John Denver and lynch him all over again...

Zid the grumpy Colorado She-Devil...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit