Soldiers of Jah

by cofty 214 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tec
    tec

Tec, then that's the Lord's fault for not providing enough info to not make him looked like a crazed maniac.

I guess that depends on how you're looking. There seem to be quite a fair amount of people who don't see him like this at all.

Tammy

• In
    In

Wait a sec... forget the morality issues of the Canaanites.

One thing no one has mentioned so far is this: God promised the land to Abraham long before the Israelite nation. Abraham settles there and gets pretty comfortable. He doesn't do a whole lot of fighting. But then his descendants leave and go to Egypt because Joseph is powerful in Egypt, and there is a famine in the ancestral home of Abraham.

Things get bad for them in Egypt after some time, and God says, 'I'm taking you back to the land I gave Abraham in the first place.' And this time he meant for them to stay there.

When they get there, well, lookie, other people have moved onto their land. So, they do what nations have always done when they wanted some land: fought wars for it.

The kids had to die because nations of that time seemed to be extra-fond of holding grudges for hundreds of years. So, these kids posed a threat to the descendants of the conquering Israelites.

It seems kinda straightforward. God led them, but he also made them fight for their inheritance. And, times were much more brutal then.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Dallas is my team, and we need a win. in fact we need wins for the rest of the season

Oh good god, I don't feel bad for you in the least. The Panthers are my team. May whatever god you believe in have mercy on my soul.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

And, times were much more brutal then.

So they were. That doesn't in any way make things right the way it went down.

There seem to be quite a fair amount of people who don't see him like this at all.

Hey, you can find a ton of people that like or justify or ignore ANY whacked out behavior, kid :)

• cofty
    cofty
    The kids had to die because nations of that time seemed to be extra-fond of holding grudges for hundreds of years. So, these kids posed a threat to the descendants of the conquering Israelites.

I find your ethics disgusting.

If you imagine similar brutal war crimes don't happen in conflicts in modern times you need to start getting your news from more reliable sources.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    When they get there, well, lookie, other people have moved onto their land. So, they do what nations have always done when they wanted some land: fought wars for it.

"Other people" (descendants of Canaan) were already living there when the Promise was made to Abraham that his seed would inherit the land. They (descendants of Canaan) were allowed 400 years to do as they pleased.

Cofty, I believe In was being sarcastic.

NVL, I like you quite a bit, too. You, Outlaw, and Gladiator never fail to make me laugh.

Syl

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

When I read the initial post I thought to myself: this is a great thread and makes an excellent point.

Then I read on and see presumably intelligent people defending genocide on the basis of "everyone did it back then" or "invisible sky-daddy commanded it and so it's righteous to do" and it makes me ill.

Are you freaking kidding me? There is NO DEFENSE for genocide. You're looking at it backwards.

Wrong view: If God commits genocide then the genocide is righteous because it was done by God.

Correct view: If God commits genocide then God is an evil PoS.

Even more correct view: If people claim God committed the genocide, they're lying and trying to pass the buck for their evil deeds on to someone who can't be prosecuted for them.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I guess that depends on how you're looking. There seem to be quite a fair amount of people who don't see him like this at all.

Ad populum fallacy.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Mad Sweeney, are you equally or more troubled by the wars and genocides engineered by human leaders?

Just curious.

Syl

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Did Jesus correct or condemn Moses for the "slaughter of women and children" or did he say it was wrong for God to destroy Sodom or that God did not destroy Sodom? Did Jesus say the flood of Noah's day did not cause the deaths of many? I try to let Jesus speak for himself. :)

I don't think anyone asked Jesus about any of that stuff and I don't recall him commenting on it.

We have what Jesus said - Love they enemy for anyone can love a brother, what is the big deal in that? I say love your enemy- and if we take him as the Word of God then we have to see it as either a change from God ( it wasn't), Jesus speaking for himself only ( he wasn't) or Jesus clearing up what He viewed as a incorrect view of what God wants ( which is what he did).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit