"Birthdays rob the glory of God"

by sabastious 202 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Isaac

Hey, didn't the Watchtower celebrate its 100th birthday!

Yea, I just had lunch with Kieth last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCbPq-H96WQ

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

AH birthday threads...LOL !

To argue agianst birthdays and to be for anniversaries, the sheer silliness of it all !!

• carvin
    carvin

Nowhere does the Bible say the Jesus or any other person refused to celebrate birthdays. And the absence of the Bible say that Jesus did celebrate a birthday is not reason to ban them, and DF people who do celebrate them. The Bible also never said Jesus went to the bathroom, never told a joke, never wore pants, etc. By that "reasoning" should not all those thing as well as others be concidered a DF offence?

• designs
    designs

Maybe Jesus placed a stone on the graves of his family and friends (Jewish custom)

• undercover
    undercover
    Jesus didn't celebrate Birthdays (despite being fully aware of them! His cousin being beheaded at one) So we Christians don't celebrate Birthdays.

Jesus didn't go to Super Bowl parties either. okay, okay, they didn't have Super Bowls back then. But they did have "games". They had gladitorial and other violent games in all the provinces under Roman rule. Jesus obviously did not approve of such violence, nor the praise and worship of the sportsmen and gladiators of their time. Therefore Christians today would not be entertained by the modern violence of sports or cheer for modern gladiators. Hosting and attending Super Bowl parties would be akin to Jesus or his followers attending the coliseum and cheering for the violence of that day.

Stupid analogy, isn't it. No more stupid than the "Jesus didn't celebrate b-days, so we Christians don't celebrate b-days" argument.

Some people are just fucking stupid...

• sabastious
    sabastious
    To argue agianst birthdays and to be for anniversaries, the sheer silliness of it all !!

Yes, my OP was about birthdays, but I didn't wish for this thread to get this way. I wanted to talk about the specific aspect of JW birthdays about robbing the glory of God.

But debator seriously hijacked this thread and turned it into a flame war lol.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

But then again, you can't have too many debates like these. Lurkers are getting a good dose of JW conditioning and how they CANNOT stand on their own two feet in debate.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Therefore Christians today would not be entertained by the modern violence of sports or cheer for modern gladiators.

The GB DO imply that sports are not a wise choice of entertainment. All the "devout" dubs I knew didn't watch sports even though they loved them.

-Sab

• undercover
    undercover
    The GB DO imply that sports are not a wise choice of entertainment. All the "devout" dubs I knew didn't watch sports even though they loved them.

Yea, the GB has railed against violent sports from time to time...but they've never listed avoiding violent sports an official "rule" like birthdays. B-days are listed as one of the cardinal sins. Dubs are known for avoiding b-days and b-day celebrations. They're not known for refusing to go to NFL games or NASCAR races.

For every devout JW that spurns sports, there are 5 or more that are obsessed with sports, including elders and pioneers and Bethelites.

But my point was that just because Jesus didn't do something didn't mean that it becomes church law that people can't do that same thing.

But you are right...the thread did get hi-jacked from its original thought. On that point...about b-days robbing the glory of God... if God is that jealous that he can't let people have one day a year to celebrate the miracle of life that he gave them, then he's prick...

• watson
    watson
    Jesus didn't go to Super Bowl parties either. okay, okay, they didn't have Super Bowls back then. But they did have "games". They had gladitorial and other violent games in all the provinces under Roman rule. Jesus obviously did not approve of such violence, nor the praise and worship of the sportsmen and gladiators of their time. Therefore Christians today would not be entertained by the modern violence of sports or cheer for modern gladiators. Hosting and attending Super Bowl parties would be akin to Jesus or his followers attending the coliseum and cheering for the violence of that day.

I can hear Brother Loesch now...

Thanks a lot Undercover...you just loaded the lips of the GB!! LOL.

Watson

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit