What a mess here in Florida!

by restrangled 46 Replies latest jw friends

• TopHat
    TopHat

Have you seen any alligators in your yard yet?

• undercover
    undercover
    Please. If you have no potable water and food who's fault is that? If you have not prepared and have no way out of the neighborhood who's fault is that? If you buy a vulnerable house and fail to reinforce it who's fault is that? If you don't maintain backup power and cooling who's fault is that? If you live in an area prone to flooding and storm surge and don't build accordingly who's fault is that? There is plenty that can be done. This is a tropical storm. BFD This is hurricane central, you people come from up North knowing this and still completely unprepared and whine, whine, whine, about the weather and the bugs. Guess what, we didn't always have air conditioning down here and we did just fine. Give me a break.

Maybe Dubya should put you in charge of FEMA since you're so prepared to handle these situations...

but then again...you probably thought all those people in New Orleans deserved what they got after Katrina...

• White Dove
    White Dove

Burntheships,

Even if we were face to face, I'd still tell you to GO FUCK YOURSELF!

Not having compassion for others makes you non-human.

Getting your jollies off of others' tragedies makes you a sadist.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Even if we were face to face, I'd still tell you to GO FUCK YOURSELF!

Not having compassion for others makes you non-human.

Getting your jollies off of others' tragedies makes you a sadist.

Please, tell me what you really think?

• restrangled
    restrangled
    Have you seen any alligators in your yard yet?

No, I'm not close enough to the local lakes and am in a No Flood Zone (supposedly). The water has drained out of the yard since last night. I am worried about snakes though! Sometimes they wind up in the swimming pool. r.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    but then again...you probably thought all those people in New Orleans deserved what they got after Katrina...

No. All I am saying is people should BE PREPARED.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Thinking of you.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    No. All I am saying is people should BE PREPARED.

And you are assuming they haven't prepared just because they are in your opinion, 'whining' about the effects mother nature can have. Sometimes the best laid plans prove futile. You can't control falling trees, or flying debris, flooding, etc. And regardless of your prepared status, a horrible storm can wipe out all your hard earned assets before you can say, boo. I don't live in Florida but I did live through Hurricane Juan all the way up here on east coast canada and although we prepared, had water, food, set aside, still wasn't pleasant whatsoever.

No power for a week with two kids is something to whine about, it was not fun. The flooding made it impossible to get to stores (they weren't even open, hello, no power!), you couldn't cook, everything in the fridge went bad within a couple days, no lights, downed power lines everywhere, with two kids, oh yeah, that was just a walk in the park. My empathy goes out to those who have to deal with that more than once in life.

• abbagail
    abbagail

BurnTheShips wants Gator Stew for din-din, lol. He/you also said:

"Guess what, we didn't always have air conditioning down here and we did just fine."

I don't know which Florida you are from, but we sho' didn't do fine w/o A/C where I'm from... HOT AS HADES... not just HOT, but sweltering sweaty drippy hot... used to leave the windows open at night back in those days, hear the crickets (and frogs after a rain), no blankets just a sheet, maybe a fan if you were lucky, and still couldn't sleep for the sweating humidity all night. YUK! It was ghastly!

Thankfully my Dad eventually got into the A/C business and we ended up with a big central A/C unit by the time I was a teenager, but it would "Freeze up" all the time, and boy did we all whine and gripe then!

-------

I'm all for restrangled warning people away from F-L-A! I'm still stuck here for now, but hope to escape within the year. Her descriptions (on the first page) of life in Florida are right on! Once you get over the "oooh ahh" over the beach/ocean if you've never seen it, the rest is misery, heat/humidity unrelenting, for waaay tooo many months out of the year, plus the horrendous summer storms, lightening, and now tornandos, not to mention the always annoying and sometimes frightening hurricanes (Charlie, Francis, Jeanne were my "best friends" of 2004 = NOT!). The humidity alone is all it takes to drive me away, esp. if you know the "difference" from other areas of the country w/o humidity.

And we, too, always had the lights flickering off incessantly where I was for 20 years (100 miles S of where I am right now in N. FLA, temporarily), so much so that I eventually quit resetting the clocks altogether, the microwave clock, the answering machine time/date stamp, etc. I got a battery clock instead for my bedroom!

Try living thru a hurricane when the lights go out... (Charlie and Francis 2004), your fan won't work, no A/C, nothing to "cool you down" except getting in the tub, as the EXTREMELY OPPRESSIVE heavy air/humidity will not only make you sweat to death but suffocate you as well, you feel like you can't even breathe. It was miserable!

So hang in there restrangled! We feel your pain!
    /ag

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hey Abbagail! ..... Fellow Floridian who understands the misery of this place!!!

The sun finally broke through, Dogs and cat went out, but there is still rain in between. I've pumped more chemicals in the pool and pulled out enough foilage to cover a large tree. It also had large drowned frogs.... their bodies the size of my hand with all fingers spread. I have days of cleanup ahead of me....none of which is covered by insurance.

I will have to pay some one to cut up the fallen tree limbs.....I am lucky.... my neighbor had a 100 year old plus Oak tree that just ripped up out of the ground and fell in front of his house, thankfully not on it. He was out today with a chain saw, but he couldn't cut the trunk even after going through each side so he was using a wedge and sledge hammer to break it up. Raw wet wood is not easy to deal with.

My brother's septic system quit working.....he lives across the street from a lake. It filled up and then filled up everyones septic system in the area. He is about 10 blocks from me.

As you know, once the sun comes out, then come the bugs, and stink. There is nothing like it.

After the 2004/05 hurricanes through Florida, (3 of them).....all of us are always prepared with extra water, flashlights, batteries, ice, radios, etc, but it is still barely liveable. The hours tick away like days when you don't have power.

I count myself very lucky this time....no power outages except at night, and even then, these storms are stiffling.

Thanks all for your concern....it is much appreciated! Like I said the sun is emerging.....things are looking up but send us some dry air if you can!!!

Abbagail....Hope you are OK! (All my clocks and electronics flash too! No one knows the time around here!)...ever! It's pointless to reset electronic clocks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit