What a mess here in Florida!

by restrangled 46 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

been flooded twice.

about $90k in damage between them both.

know how it feels like, wish all the best.

people, please donate to the red cross,................. they help!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thinking of you all. Wow.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks everyone, but feeling very lucky the power has not gone out...that is the absolute worst possible scenerio, and believe me it goes out in every little storm here, many hours at a time. All the lines are overhead battered by trees or squirrels getting fried. No underground wiring in most of FLA.

So in the hottest, most moist atmosphere, a house goes into shutdown. No breathable air, just hot, wet misery for hours. Can't open windows or doors...most times it stinks worse outdoors, (rotting foilage). The pool goes into pond mode, filling with green algea within 24 hours along with 200 pounds of blown in debris. The filter motor starts burning out unless you go out and shut it off until you can get everything out.

Ahhh, the joys of Florida.....so many think it is the place to retire....not so....consider North Carolina, Denver, or more temperate regions.

Forget the ocean or anywhere near, .....insurance is more a month than a house payment if it is available, State Farm, All state, Travelers, Farmers, etc., have all washed their hands of new home owners in most of the state. If your home is over 25 years old....no one wants to insure you!....so you get to take the state version which is about double what anyone else is charging.

ARE YOU READY TO RETIRE IN FLORIDA!!!!??????? Come visit, but don't buy here!

r.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, roll up your pants legs and start bailing! I heard on the news today that some parts of Fl got more than 2 feet of rain in a day. That's a real gully washer - if it happened out here, we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves! I hope you stay safe and I hope it is over soon.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

We are just looking forward to getting all of the rain. Oh it sounds like it just started here in north Florida. We just might make it though.

MTM

• KingArthur
    KingArthur

Last year this part of the world was drier than a popcorn fart. I would have asked you to send some of it up this way, but not today. Lots of donner unt blitzen. Take care and don't forget to tie a small boat to your chimney. --- Art

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hortensia, I'm laughing because we might just have to be doing that here in the house.....The dogs refuse to go out after 10 hours.....I may be bailing dog pee in a few hours!

How big are the bladders on two 100 pound dogs?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Sounds like it's pretty risky to go out....and especially after dark.

This is from newspaper:

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Tropical storm Fay continued to hover just offshore Thursday as it poured more rain on Florida’s central Atlantic coast.

Hundreds of homes have been flooded, trapping residents and leaving much of Florida a soggy mess.

Meanwhile, authorities say alligators, snakes and other wildlife have been spotted in some flooded neighbourhoods after high water drove the animals from their normal lairs.

Forecasters expected the storm to continue a zigzag course by hitting the state for a third time in a week, along with Georgia, but didn’t think it would strengthen to a hurricane over the Atlantic.

The storm flooded hundreds of homes in Brevard and St. Lucie counties, some with up to 1 1/2 metres of water, forcing dozens of rescues.

Gov. Charlie Crist, who said the storm is becoming a “serious, catastrophic flooding event.”

Water was still high Thursday in much of southern Brevard County and officials feared the northern sections would be inundated next.

Emergency management spokeswoman Kimberly Prosser said wildlife officers have received several calls about alligators and other animals spotted in flooded neighbourhoods, but only two small alligators had been captured.

“In the past we’ve usually had flooding in pockets. I have not seen anything this widespread throughout the county,” Prosser said.

About 10,200 homes and businesses in the county were without power early Thursday, and about 134 people spent the night in shelters, she said. The county is home to NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, which has been closed to most workers and all visitors since Tuesday. The centre reported no significant damage.

“We can’t even get out of our house,” said Billie Dayton of Port St. Lucie, as waters lapped at her porch. “We’re just hoping that it doesn’t rain anymore.”

Fay could dump 75 centimetres of rain in some areas of Florida and the U.S. National Weather Service said nearly 65 centimetres had already fallen near Melbourne, just south of Cape Canaveral.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/World/2008/08/21/6526886.html

I just don't know why they are giving us measurements using the metric system. Has USA changed to metric now?

• restrangled
    restrangled

I agree, but here it is: 1 inch equals aproximately 2.54 centimeters. So any way its reported.....damn it, we need more paddles! It still pouring and I can no longer tell where my deck ends and the pool begins!

r.

• junctions-wife
    junctions-wife

I'll keep you my prayers and thoughts! It doesn't sound like much fun down there.

Amanda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit