Do black Americans claim Obama as one of their own?

by digderidoo 69 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I was watching an interview with a black American recently about Barrack Obama. Interestlingly he said that black Americans find it hard to claim him as one of their own. He said that black people would much prefer to have someone who is from the stereotypical upbringing of a black American to be the presidential candidate. He went on that because he is mixed race and that his father was African rather than American, that he doesn't really represent black Americans.

I can see the guys line of argument but i wondered how black Americans felt about this, especially in light of Jesse Jacksons gaffe that he'd "like to cut his nuts off". I must admit i laughed hard at that one, i'm sure i could see a smurk on his face when he apologised.

But do black Americans feel that Obama represents them. I'm pretty sure that most are pleased to see this possibility of a black president, but on the other side is there a feeling of maybe resentment that he is not from the typical black family.

Paul

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oh pleez Might as well ask if black americans think he's an oreo or not. Black folks who don't fit the stereotypical type within the black community are questioned about being black enough or accused of trying to be white or called an oreo. I, for one who was teased and ignored by blacks all throughout my school career and even tease about the way I talk (hint: it doesn't sound like ebonics) way after being out of school, am tried of this so-called issue. He's black and that's all there is to it.

Jesse Jackson is just jealous he never made it to be the democratic nominee.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Jesse Jackson comes off as a jealous attention-hog. He doesn't want to pass the torch to Obama. HE wants to be the voice of the "Black American Community", whatever that might mean.

I'm a white American, but Obama is 50% Caucasian -- so I'd say that the question "Do White Americans claim Obama as one of their own?" is equally valid. If it isn't equally valid, can someone tell me why not?

In any case, I think that Black American who was interviewed repeated a common tired refrain -- Obama isn't black enough. I really laugh at the notion that his family background is of such great importance. It's what he's became and what he can be as president that should matter, and that's what people should judge.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I apologise in advance if this is an old issue for Americans. But for me, living on this side of the pond, it's not something that gets mentioned much.

Paul

• dinah
    dinah
    He said that black people would much prefer to have someone who is from the stereotypical upbringing of a black American to be the presidential candidate.

This sums up the problem. The stereotypical black American upbringing? Oh, they would prefer he not know who his father is, and his mother in on crack? Before everyone gets all crazy, this is what we are TOLD. It's not necessarily what I've seen.

I've seen both black and white kids grow up without a father, black men don't corner the market on that.

I've seen how the thugs treat the good kids. It's like if you aren't "bad-ass" you ain't black enough. Since when did being Black become equated with being a thug or acting badly? I mean give a black man some credit! If you need a barometer, look up CoolHand, he's got it DOWN!

Mrs. Jones, I've SEEN my own daughter be told that she isn't black enough because she gets good grades and doesn't run around at all hours of the night. We won't even go into the names I've been called because I married her daddy.

Rant over. I'm not even sure if it was relevant. This is just one of my hot buttons.

Mrs. Jones, did you see my neck snapping on that one?

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I've become extremely disillusioned lately upon discovering that McCain is only 96.12% pasty old white man. I could have sworn his percentage would be closer to 112.6% and now I don't know if I can claim him as one of my own. ;-)

• amicus
    amicus
    Do White Americans claim Obama as one of their own?"

That was similar to my reaction. I don't think of people as black or white or yellow. He's a smart, charismatic man who worked hard to get to where he is...that's what I see when I look at him. If the talking heads just left it at that, wouldn't the race discussion just go away? Or at least not be as pronounced as it is now?

• avishai
    avishai

Also, uhh, not all black Americans think alike, OK? Sure, there's some that claim him as one of their own based on race, rhetoric, or whatever. There's some that would call him names based on race, skin color, rhetoric or whatever. There's straight, gay, republican, democrat, christan, satanist and every other kind of "black American."

• Mulan
    Mulan

Whoopi Goldberg said yesterday, on The View, that she objects to the term "African-American", because to her, it implies that they aren't 100% American. She prefers the terms "black" or "colored".

I liked that.

Since Barack's father was African and his mother, American, doesn't that make him a TRUE African-American?

• amicus
    amicus

Not that there is anything wrong with digderidoo's question, but I think sometimes these terms are crammed down our throats and we use them, not because we think one way or another, but almost as knee jerk reactions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit