Do black Americans claim Obama as one of their own?

by digderidoo 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Mincan
    Mincan
    I have to ask... that "Red Green" fella... we see him on TV down here. Is he "conservative" or "liberal" by Canadian standards?

Haha, you can't place him anywhere, he's too random. That is a favourite show of mine though. He is considered an old school nerd... whereas harold is new school nerd.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    I want to see if my great-grand parents', my grandparents', my parent's, and my own family fits in...I have a feeling it won't if I correctly guess what your answer will be. MJones

As a white guy I'd figure your family fits in. I bet your folks were slaves once upon a time.... maybe some of them went through reconstruction and Jim Crow down south.

Maybe at some point your folks followed some relatives north... say Kansas City, St Louis maybe Detroit? I bet your kin and most of the neighbors lived "separate but equal" in a 2 parent home for a few generations. If they did stay in the south they lived in a 2 parent family and worked hard despite it all.

At some point maybe some of your family got a little lost ...lots of black family stability was hurt during the 60's. Welfare and single parent homes became common on both sides of the color line...

The typical black American family could have a 1000 variables to be typical... as the typical white american family.

Obama's black side didnt live the experience. That's why folks dont think he's black or white enough...as if the lable the matters. He is really pushing the Kansas angle right now..really hard. How much time did young Obama spend a horseback or on the combine,,, or playing in the shadows of a Wichita airplane factory?

The publicist are trying try really take a guy who was raised offshore... raised by Bohemians intellectual types... until the money ran out and blue collar grannie took over ...and some how ends up in law school ............ sorry...I am glad for him but his story just doesnt resonate with me or many other Americans. At least not the way his PR department spins it.

Hill

• dinah
    dinah
    What is a typical black family? I want to see if my great-grand parents', my grandparents', my parent's, and my own family fits in...I have a feeling it won't if I correctly guess what your answer will be.

That's what I want to know, Mrs. Jones! Someone define typical so me and Mrs Jones can figure this one out.

You can't put people in a box. You can't fully label people. I've never found a label that quite fits me and I'm sure most of you guys haven't either. I've had numerous names hurled at me.

I absolutely loved living in a black neighborhood, but I also absolutely love the neighborhood I live in now. People are what matter with their hearts and blood and feelings. If you can be so heartless that you can look at the package which holds the heart and declare it inadequate--that is BAD.

It makes me so sick what is happening now. Who gives a leap at a rolling doughnut what color the man is? Small minds elect small-minded leaders.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Down the decades

1948 First West Indian immigrants arrive on SS Empire Windrush at Tilbury docks on 22 June

1951 The Times thunders: 'The result [of immigration] can be measured directly in terms of more food for workers, more coal for vital industries, more cloth for export, more bricks for housing'

1952 Sprinter Emmanuel McDonald Bailey becomes the first black athlete to win an Olympic medal for Britain with a bronze in the 100 metres

1956 The peak year for immigration from the West Indies to Britain. That year 30,000 immigrants make the journey

1957 Cy Grant becomes the first black person to regularly appear on TV, singing the news in calypso on the BBC Tonight programme

1958 Riots orchestrated by white extremists hit Notting Hill and Nottingham

The Black and White Minstrel Show starts its 20-year TV run. Featuring white men with blacked-up faces it is indicative of lack of change in approach to TV programming

1959 The high arts find such change less difficult. The Theatre Workshop in Stratford East produces the play A Taste of Honey by Shelagh Delaney which tells of a Salford girl made pregnant by her black lover

1961 The Army puts an upper limit on the proportion of ethnic minority personnel. This 'quota' (about 4,000) was never reached

1962 Commonwealth Immigrants Act brings in first restrictions, cutting immigration from the New Commonwealth, thus clearly marking ethnic minority immigrants from others of white skin. Laws follow in 1968/71 and 81 restricting entry for non-whites

1963 Working men's clubs bar or place a limit on 'coloured' entry. Tories accused during elections of sending children around Smethwick in the West Midlands chanting: 'If you want a nigger for a neighbour, vote Liberal or Labour'

1964 Labour victory sees a more progressive government, prepared to embrace the new population of Britain

1965 First Race Relations Act is passed

1966 Roy Jenkins, Home Secretary, proclaims: 'I define integration not as a flattening process of uniformity, but cultural diversity, coupled with equality of opportunity in an atmosphere of mutual tolerance...'

1967 Rainbow City , a six-part BBC1 drama starring Errol John, is the first drama series to give a leading role to a black actor.

1968 Enoch Powell proclaims: 'I am filled with foreboding. Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood".'

1969 Sir Nicholas Learie Constantine becomes first black life peer

1970 Abdul Malik (Michael X), (leader of the Black Muslims and Racial Adjustment Society, calls meeting of all black militant groups in London including Black Panthers and Black Eagles. 'Black people are going to take matters into their own hands because we have been unable to get justice anywhere'

1971 Refugees from Uganda land at Stansted airport, after President Idi Amin expels the entire Asian population

1972 At Mansfield hosiery mills, Loughborough, 500 striking Asians say they are barred on racial grounds from the best-paid knitting jobs. This in a year when the trade union movement is accused of 'indifference to race relations'

1973 Trevor McDonald becomes ITN's first black reporter

1974 A bleak report finds failings at every stage in preparing young black people for adult life in Britain. Figures show twice as many blacks as whites jobless. David Pitt becomes first black chairman of the GLC

1975 Lenny Henry, aged 17, wins New Faces , the first black winner. Paul Wilson makes his debut for Scotland, the first and only Asian to play football for any of the home nations.

1976 Race Relations Act established 'to tackle racial discrimination and promote racial equality'. Commission for Racial Equality set up

1977 Race bias in the Civil Service revealed in a telling report. After interview stage, only four per cent of black people are offered a job compared with 15 per cent of white people

1978 Margaret Thatcher: 'People are really rather afraid that this country might be rather swamped by people with a different culture...'

Nottingham Forest fullback Viv Anderson becomes the first black footballer to play for England

1979 Anti-racist protester Blair Peach is killed after being struck on the head with a police truncheon after a National Front rally in Southall. The first of what become 22,000 Vietnamese refugees arrive in Britain, fleeing the communist regime after the fall of Saigon. Thatcher welcomes the immigrants as people who love freedom and enterprise.

1980 Police raid on the Black and White Cafe in Bristol triggers one of the most serious riots in Britain since World War II

1981 Years of the Riots. In January 15,000 people march in London - the biggest black demonstration yet seen in Britain - to complain about press indifference to black deaths. Riots break out in Brixton in April after the Met launches Operation Swamp 81 to tackle burglary and robbery. In six days, officers stop 943 people, arresting 118. Violent distur bances follow in Liverpool's Toxteth over four nights in July and police use CS gas for the first time in Britain. Then 1,000 people besiege the police station at Moss Side, Manchester and new riots erupt in Brixton with disturbances all over UK

1982 First edition of The Voice, Britain's first black newspaper. An unprecedented six black players are chosen by Bobby Robson for the England squad to play a friendly against West Germany - described by the Daily Mail as 'Our Black Magic' .

1984 The Police and Criminal Evidence Act aims to provide a new code for police behaviour. It also sets up an independent Police Com plaints Authority in 1985 in an attempt to restore public confidence in the police

Daley Thompson becomes only the second competitor in history to win the decathlon at two Olympic Games

Bradford Headmaster Ray Honeyford suggests that white children suffer in schools with large Asian numbers, and that to become proper citizens of a western democracy, Asian children should be able to think, speak and reason in English.

1985 PC Keith Blakelock is killed during rioting on Tottenham's Broadwater Farm Estate

1987 In May's general election, three black MPs, Diane Abbott, Bernie Grant and Paul Boateng, and one Asian MP, Keith Vaz, are elected

1988 Black and White, a BBC documentary records the attitudes of people in Bristol to a black and white man of similar age and ability as they attempt to find a job, hail a taxi, and generally get on with life. The white man is more successful

1990 John Taylor is elected as Tory candidate for Cheltenham after being called a 'bloody nigger' by local party member Bill Galbraith and facing a vote of no confidence

1992 Taylor loses the seat in the general election - to the sound of cheers from his own party members

1993 Paul Ince is the first black player to captain England's soccer team.

Bhaji on the Beach is the first feature film directed by a British Asian woman, Gurinder Chada

Stephen Lawrence is stabbed to death by a gang of white youths as he waits at a bus stop in Eltham, South London

1994 Bernie Grant, the black Labour MP for Tottenham, proposes 'voluntary resettlement' whereby the government would give financial support to anyone making a move to the Caribbean country from which they originated or were descended. This year the Jamaican government estimates some 2000 people returned from Britain

1995 For two nights young Asians in the Manningham district of Bradford riot.

Joy Gardner, an illegal immigrant in Britain since 1987, dies when police overpower her, gag her with 13 feet of sticky tape and handcuff her

1996 Neil Acourt, Luke Knight and Gary Dobson deny murdering Stephen Lawrence in a private case brought by Stephen's parents. Evidence is ruled inadmissable, and the three men go free.

1997 The inquest into Stephen's death decides he was killed unlawfully.

At the general election, the number of Black and Asian MPs increases to nine.

Linford Christie retires, as Britain's greatest ever athlete, having won gold medals at all the major championships.

Supermodel Naomi Campbell claims that it is twice as hard for a black woman to make the cover of a fashion magazine than for a white model.

1998 The CRE is accused of wasting money on a deliberately racist advertising campaign. It commissioned three posters suggesting that black people are rapists, orang-utans and deserving of domination. The CRE says the posters were 'a teaser to test public attitudes about racist stereotyping'

1999 The Macpherson inquiry into the killing of Stephen Lawrence six years earlier states that the police is infected with institutional racism.

East is East, a film about British Asian life, takes more than £10m and wins Best British Film at the Bafta awards.

Nail-bomb attacks on three ethnically diverse areas of London: Brixton, Brick Lane and Soho. Three people are killed, and 139 injured. BNP member David Copeland later convicted of the attacks

2000 Jack Straw upholds a ban on Louis Farrakhan entering Britain on the grounds that the Nation of Islam leader expresses 'anti-semitic and racially divisive views'. The ban is overturned the following year by the High Court.

2001 Race riots hit Oldham, Burnley, Stoke and Bradford.

The race issue takes centre stage in the general election. Conservative MP John Townend remarks that immigration has allowed the 'mongrolisation of Britain'.

Racial tensions rise follow the 11 September terrorist attacks on America.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/nov/25/race.world16

"Tell the truth and shame the devil."

</form> </form> </form>

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

A) there is the DNC vs DLC battle, in which Hillary is DLC and Obama is DNC. Both on the democratic side, but definitely two factions. IMO the good guys won, and the DNC under Howard Dean's leadership had a smart new direction in 2006 with his 50 state strategy. It happens to fit right into Obama's style and beliefs, and that's why Obama is keeping Dean on as chairman. You can see the difference by looking at the "old school" way that Hillary ran her campaign, vs Obama's strategy and tactics.

I was hoping it was not some Marxist rebels from South America who had bought off a chunk of the Chicago Democratic Machine. Thanks... I will send mail my NRA check in with a bit less on the PAC fund now that I know Obama is under the Howard Dean seal of approval.

This has been a red letter week. Jesse Jackson said something dumber than anything Strom Thurmond ever said ...ironic...they buried Thurmond this week, too.

Hill

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Oh, so you don't think there are just as many black writers that completely write something different or that there aren't white writers that denounce how biased and judgemental many whites can be when making assessments of blacks? I mean where does it end? That's my point.

Where did I ever say that there aren't black writers who may not feel the same as the one I referred to? That's why I said I'll let the reader decide for themselves.

I find that if it is to be an "us" versus "them" mentality, then you will never ever have peace. No one wants to be sermonized on who they are just because of their color of skin. You wouldn't like it if someone sat there and wrote a bunch of heaping observations about White Americans and used one supposed "authority" as their expert opinion. It's silly.

I don't think that my observations were heaping or preachy. And again, I never claimed to be an expert on this subject, why do you keep saying that I did?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Among the opponents of Mr. Taylor's candidacy was Bill Galbraith, who was quoted in the press as saying that Cheltenham should not "give in to a bloody nigger even though central office have foisted him upon us" and that "we are here to repel the invader." Elected on 'Classless' Platform

Contrast with:

A nation which claims to be the pinion of 'democracy in the world, so much so that it tries to export this democracy to other lands, (normally using aggressive tactics) gets into a frenzy at the thought that a black man, or heaven forbid a woman, might be a future president. A black female President would no doubt break the machine.

Heh. Those "enlightened" Brits are full of shit when they point the finger, aren't they?

Playa Haters.

LOL

BTS

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I was also in the gifted program from grade school to high school, with a few black kids who were bussed in. But was I gifted or just a normal kid in class with her educational peers?

My daughter had an IEP at the age of 9. She didn't think she was with her peers. Everytime the instructor would bring up a question about the Black race everyone would look at her...She didn't like it at all.

I hated being in classes with older children whether they were White or Black!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Strum Thurmond kills me! Had sex with his family's Black maid and fathered a child by her. He had been sending child support to her; and mentioned how she was a beautiful child; but he hated Black people. Something's wrong with that picture!

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Ms McDucket,

Those quotes you have given about John Taylor are representative of a number of people in the tory party. Please don't think that those right wing tory views represent the general population. As for John Taylor, i don't like the guy. But only because he has the attitude of well if he can do it, so can others. He has done little to help those from less priveleged backgrounds. He is one of those guys who when he reaches the top pulls the ladder away in not helping others climb it. A bit like M.Thatcher, you would have thought being the first female prime minister that she would help other women to achieve what she did, when in fact she did nothing.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit