Why I will NEVER be an elder again

by stillajwexelder 138 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lrkr
    lrkr

Outrageous!! Amazing!!! I am in shock that they went that far. I have never been much of an "avatar" kind of guy but I would like to borrow OTWO's.

I think this may be the start of a great implosion. Or the furthering of a great dumbing down.

I am more resolved than ever to make sure and innoculate my kid against this mind control cult (There I said it- been resisting for a year- but this is really shocking to me.)

• wednesday
    wednesday

How long before some members of our families will be living in secluded compounds and breeding new jws?

They are weeding out all but company men.

• flipper
    flipper

I guess they'll have to dig Albert Schroeder out of his grave and discipline him for sending his son to college as he was a member of the governing body. Oh- I forgot the same rules don't apply to the governing body as the normal rank and file witness members. Rest in peace Albert. Jeez

• watson
    watson

Since Buicks aren't selling too well anymore, Judah Ben may be looking for grants now.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Wow, that is incredible. I would love to see if we can get hold of any official document ie "letter to elders" that states as much.

I second that! Anyone help?

Here in Sydney I would have special interest in this. I know, for example, of one prominent travelling O/S who would be compromised on this one - I wonder how he's handling it when he does his C.O. visits?

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Goodness, I didn't realize that the WT had turned on higher ED so hard as to off elders for encouraging college. Removal? Disqualification? What scripture did they sight to justify that?

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

This policy is contradictory on so many fronts.

First of all, if you study all of the writings of the apostles as they pertain to qualifications for "older men" in the congregation, one will find that this kind of policy is an arrogant overwriting of those qualifications. There is nothing in the Christian Greek Scriptures to support invalidating qualifications to eldership based upon personal education decisions.

Remember that the organization continuously criticizes Christendom for going beyond Scripture and enforcing human traditions with the authority of law (i.e. Catholic Church’s ban on contraception, Mormon church’s ban on alcoholic beverages). This was actually a sticking point in the latest tract they printed on false religion.

Second, I can cite numerous examples of JW youth who went to college and then were accepted to the World Headquarters based upon those educational qualifications. I know personally of a young sister who went to law school and became an attorney. She was accepted to Brooklyn Bethel and immediately began doing legal work.

There is no Scriptural justification for this whatsoever. Policies such as this reveal a mindset that is hopelessly out of touch with reality, deluded with self-importance, and arrogant.

• loosie
    loosie

Way to go stilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    Second, I can cite numerous examples of JW youth who went to college and then were accepted to the World Headquarters based upon those educational qualifications. I know personally of a young sister who went to law school and became an attorney. She was accepted to Brooklyn Bethel and immediately began doing legal work.

I know a few folks that were invited to Bethel because of their special skill set (aka college degree). Some accepted. Some declined.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

This "policy" is insanely riduculous and just another example of a WT flip-flop, because just a few years ago, the decision to pursue a higher education was considered a personal one. Apparently, too many witnesses took advantage because I know people who were in the org for decades and went back to school and pursued their BA's and even Masters degrees. But the last study ed. of the WT harped on higher education and so does the next one, when it talks about youth wisely avoiding higher education and pursuing spiritual goals. What a load of bullcrap. I also agree with the poster that stated if such policy is to be widely enacted, the WTS is just hastening its demise.

Jeremy stated:

First of all, if you study all of the writings of the apostles as they pertain to qualifications for "older men" in the congregation, one will find that this kind of policy is an arrogant overwriting of those qualifications. There is nothing in the Christian Greek Scriptures to support invalidating qualifications to eldership based upon personal education decisions.

Of course! And soooo many other policies,( read: burdens) the society puts on the backs of the r & f have no scriptural backing whatsoever. FS reports, no beards policy, no prom or sports activities, don't toast, no yoga, etc, etc.... None of these have any scriptural backing. These are organizational rules, not scriptural doctrines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit