Class Suit Against the Watchtower -- Anyone?

by Dogaradodya 65 Replies latest jw friends

• notyetx
    notyetx

I think there may be an Establishment Cause issue here. It is hard for a civil court to judge the relative merits of a set of religious beliefs. It would seem that even if the beliefs were harmful (like if someone was a member of the Nazi Party or the KKK), the right to believe and practice such things cannot be punished under law UNLESS there are some discernible damages to an innocent third party due to those beliefs. (Example: If the KKK commits a hate crime against a minority person due to its beliefs in white supremacy, the person (or survivors) have a claim against the KKK.)

Class action suits are even harder because a court has to certify the class under the state (or federal) rules of civil procedure. There is a test about the number of plaintiffs, type and similarity of claim, adequacy of representation and the like.

I think that you should spend your time investing in a public education campaign like this one. It is far more effective and less costly. Besides, the WTBTS is not going to fall down with one great blow. It is fading in its power to persuade and remain credible as a belief system (even to its own adherents). I am so sorry about the personal damage that has been caused to you and your family. Just tell your story to as many people in as many ways as you can. Remember that every day you know the "truth" about the WTBTS you are winning.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

If you were raied in a cult, you may have a cause of action against your parents. Your parents were responsible for your treatment as a child. If they permitted illegal treatment as your guardians, or perpetrated illegal treatment, you may find you have a cause of action against those guardians.

If you experience illegal loss due to leaving the cult, you may have a cause of action against the cult. Sadly, in the US, such cases for unlawful loss of affection or familial ties (due to shunning) have not met with success.

Interesting.

There have been many stories and in fact cult experts often agree that people who are more vulnerable than others will be easily swayed into a cult. How many that were raised as JW's or born into it, had a parent/parents that were emotionally, mentally unstable at the time that they were recruited? If one has a record or history of instability - a mother who had a nervous breakdown for example, being met at the door by the Watchtower sales people who was able to so easily talk her into the society, perhaps there may be cause there. Someone who is not in their 'right' mind would be incapable of making rational decisions for herself or her children and therefore should not and most likely would not be responsible. Could charges against the society be laid by the mother against the society for coercion? This could happen in the case where the mother then wanted to become free of the society and having not understood the contract when she entered into it, was unable to get out without her children being held hostage.

I believe there are laws that protect the mentally ill against people or companies that would exploit them. sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

On an added note - the society actively recruits people by establishing contact at the persons residence. A person contacting the society of their own free will because they choose to engage in the teachings of that group, are on a different playing field from the person at home who did not choose that contact but instead were singled out for recruitment. We aren't talking vacuum cleaner sales men going door to door - we are talking cult recruitment in an organization that demands you hand over not only yourself but your family and your life to them. That might be interesting to look into. sammieswife.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I believe there are laws that protect the mentally ill against people or companies that would exploit them. sammieswife.

Now that is interesting...the WTS creates an environment that exploits the mentally ill, or that produces or aggravates mental illness...

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    creates an environment that exploits the mentally ill, or that produces or aggravates mental illness

...although it creates an environment that feeds on this, for the purpose of recruitment, I'm pointing toward the actual door to door recruitment of people that would otherwise not be either capable or desirous of communication with this group. A mentally unstable person who is delusional already and who faces a person, experienced in recruitment by promising that they will be healed and live forever, has been intentionally sought after by the society. Should that person become mentally and emotionally stable a few years later and decide to leave, they now find that to do so is to lose perhaps their financial, mental, emotional and physical support in the form of their family. Should that same person, unstable at recruitment, lose a child to the societie's no blood policy - an act that they would never have considered prior to recruitment, they may be able to file suit of some sort against them. The issue here is door to door recruitment - which is different to a person picking up a phone on their own or driving down in search of a KH.

The WTS, because of their disfellowshipping policies, has made it impossible for anyone to get in and then leave with any sanity and removed all choice from them. They appear to be trying to make nice in applying 'conscious matter' phrase to the issue of blood transfusions, however, until they remove the act of shunning within the organization, at the same time as recruitment, they just leave themselves wide open. I recognize that a few religious sects also practice shunning, however, as in the case of the Amish etc, they are not going door to door recruiting people into the organization and it is widely recognized that there are few if any other religions that practice the act of severe shunning to the extreme that the JW's do. sammieswife.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I would completely support a class action suit. I think it would definitely be a major challenge, considering that the WT Society is experts at whoring off the constitution. It would take a few things though to win.----A darn good team of lawyers, and dedicated people such you and I, and a few others on this board.

I dont see it as something impossible, but I do see it as something that would take alot of effort and determination on our part.

• freedomfighter
    freedomfighter

I would like to sue their pants off too.I have lost my childhood. Or am i just ANGRY at getting older and looking back on what i think are wasted years?

I think they will cave in on themselves. As many of us know they have dug alot of holes.

One fine day the WTS will fall into one of them. ( It would be nice to giv'em a shove though! )

FF

• restrangled
    restrangled

Your complaints no matter how legit.....will not fly in any court here in United States. Freedom of religion covers a whole lot more than just JW beliefs unless they break the law.

Move on and put your energy into something else. How about a teaching degree based on bogus religions.

The key is education.

r

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

I agree a child born in has no control.

What if one of the children of the Branch Davidian cult survived the fire in Waco? They would have a bevy of lawyers looking after their intrests especialy if the BDcult had any assets.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Restrangled, as time goes on the general feeling towards religion will change, in fact it already has in many parts of the country. If alot of Atheists have their way, then religion would be outlawed anyway.

I dont see this as something impossible, but something that could transpire if the general consensus towards religion changes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit