New Yearbook stats for 2007 now out!

by Dogpatch 111 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bud2114
    bud2114

To me, the 3.1% growth for 2007 is not surprising considering the strategic moves WT leadership has made in recent months. After years of hardly an announcement or change of any significance, in fairly quick succession over the last 18 mos. several changes were announced and either have already or will be soon instituted. Note:

1) Late in 2005 it was announced that the Awake! magazine would be monthly instead of semi-monthly and the articles would be less generic and more pointed in "announcing the kingdom message". This was instituted in Jan 2006 and the magazines even began to look different. There have been several key articles (Oct 07 "Keep Your Children Safe") and there have been two "special" editions and distribution campaigns (Sept 06 - "Is There a Creator" and Nov 07 - "Can You Trust the Bible?"). This created some intitial excitemet among the friends although the newness is wearing off quickly.

2) The April 06 KM announced a special campaign to advertise the "Deliverance at Hand" district conventions. This was a global campaign wherein each publisher in each congregation was to distribute up to 50 special full page invitations to the convention. This was the first year of this type of campaign and while it was generally a bomb with the public, it did generate some excitement among the friends and it was an easy way to make time in service.

3) The Sept 06 KM announced the special campaign to distribute the Kingdom News #37 "The End of False Religion is Near". This was a global campaign that ran from Oct 16, 2006 to Nov 12, 2006. While the campaign was generally a flop (and you could say has even backfired considering the recent pedophile lawsuit settlements), to most Witnesses this kept them busy, was an easy way to make their time, and the "doom and gloom" message was effective in instilling more fear and trepidation in them.

4) The Nov 06 KM announced that in Jan 07, each bookstudy will be studying the "Revelation Climax" book. There was a front page article and a full study schedule on p.7 which showed that this study will continue until July 2008. The Sept 06 KM contained an insert of the adjustments to the "Revelation Climax" book, but then it was announced that a new "revised" version was being printed - both of which generated much discussion and anticipation. Make no mistake, each time this book has been studied there has generally been a spike in urgency among the friends - especially newer ones who have never studied it before.

5) The Feb 07 KM insert announced a "Special Campaign to Advertise the Memorial" using a full page colorful invitation (instead of the small handbill) with a striking illustration of a tortured Jesus with a crown of thorns on the front. This was the first time a campaign like this has been used - similar to the campaigns used the past two years for the district conventions. A pure stroke of genius on the part of the WT leaders to institute such a blowout campaign during the memorial season when there are more auxilliary pioneers than any other time of the year. No wonder the memorial partakers went up by 348 from the 2006 year! Expect this campaign and a similar increase in partakers in 2008.

6) The April 07 KM again announced a special campaign to advertise globally the 2007 district conventions. This was the 2nd year of this global campaign wherein each publisher in each congregation was to distribute up to 50 special full page invitations to the convention. From all indications this campaign bombed with the public even more than the previous year, and unlike the 2006 campaign, it generated even less excitement among the friends.

7) The July 07 KM front page article was entitled "Exciting Changes for The Watchtower!" where it was announced that beginning in Jan 08 there will be two different editions - a "public" edition and a "sudy" edition both of which would be monthly instead of semi-monthly. There has been much discussion about this among the friends for months and the excitement is high going into 2008.

8) In late fall of 2007, a letter was read to all congregations stating that beginning in Jan 2008 the public talk will be shortened to 30 min (from 45 min). Not much else has been said on this, but the impending change has created much discussion among the friends.

9) Most recently, as announced at the annual meeting in New York in Oct 2007, beginning in 2008 there will be a week- long Elders school conducted at Patterson for all elders with a special program for P.O.s. At least here locally there has been much discussion and anticipation by some elders, while others are less enthused. I figure this whole thing is less about instruction but about gaining more control over the minds of those who attend. I sense desperation on the part of the WT leaders here.

These successive announcements & campaigns have been particularly effective on the most zealous JW's - especially the newer ones in keeping them stoked up. Still, there is a level of discontent among the long-timers that I have not seen since the 1975 era - especially among elders and their families. Expect this to continue as we get further from 1914, the annointed numbers go up, and the WT leaders explanations of things gets more implausible (the Rev. book is almost comical), the hidden scandals of the WT Society (UN and Pedophile issues) become more widely known, the realization by more and more that the "faithful & discreet slave" is really the GB, and that increasingly the world-wide work donations are being used for legal expenses and to pay settlements.

As far as future growth, here in my city in central North Carolina USA, things are not going well for English speaking congregations at all. At least two english speaking congs have been dissolved (due to poor attendance) and merged with other congs, one KHall project has been cancelled even after the land was paid for, and the shortage of English speaking elders and servants is higher than I have ever seen. Locally, there have been several new foreign language congs and groups formed and this is where all the growth is and I see this trend continuing for 2008.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

At the rate shown for this year increase in partakers, it won't be long before over 144,000 are partaking. What sort of 'new light' will the old bastards come up with for that?

It looks like mostly fabrication to me - the jumps are too great across the board.

Jeff

• Open mind
    Open mind

There's a JW lady in my congo who is very well-known for her long-winded, sappy, utterly brain dead comments. Even by JW standards.

Not too long ago, there was a Q&A part that somehow veered into the topic of "growth". This dingbat actually commented on how nice it is to see the "LOCAL GROWTH" with much larger attendance numbers at the meetings in congregations throughout our county.

Hello!?! Anyone home? It's all due to freakin' MERGERS lady! Overall English numbers in the US are goin' down or flat-line at best.

I did see a couple of smirks and raised eyebrows after her comment, but of course, no correction was made.

Open Mind

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"9) Most recently, as announced at the annual meeting in New York in Oct 2007, beginning in 2008 there will be a week- long Elders school conducted at Patterson for all elders with a special program for P.O.s. At least here locally there has been much discussion and anticipation by some elders, while others are less enthused. I figure this whole thing is less about instruction but about gaining more control over the minds of those who attend. I sense desperation on the part of the WT leaders here. " REPLY >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Actually, i'd venture to guess they have all sorts of policy on how elders will be handling child abuse scandals from now on. I couldn't imagine anything else that would be so important for them to bring elders back to Patterson for special "training."

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I haven't read all of the comments here, but does anyone else find it strange that essentially all of the countries that have shown negative or minimal growth over the last several years all of a sudden are showing positive numbers???

In the past several years the growth in Europe, especially northern Europe, the US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan and Korea has been flatline.

Now, with this report, there is ONLY ONE COUNTRY (Lichenstein) out of ALL of those, that has negative growth! Japan, Denmark and Poland report no growth, but all the rest are in positive numbers. The US had an increase that amounts to about 3 new publishers in each congregation. That really surprises me.

I've never had any reason to think that the WTS 'cooks the books' as it were, but these numbers, even though 3% is limited "growth" for sure, seem very odd to me. Could there possibly be a new way of looking at the figures? I agree that using the "Peak Publisher" numbers is bogus, but it looks like they figured this again using the "Average" figures, which should be fairly accurate.

It's hard for me to believe that with 10 years of the Internet, the access to huge amounts of reliable, accurate, negative WTS info online in 1st World countries, and the idiocy of WTS policy and lack of leadership during this time, that there would be a positive shift like this.

Very odd.

S4

• justhuman
    justhuman

It seems interesting how do they show their statistics. I'm not sure but Randy can confirm this if I'm correct or not, that Ray Franz said that the figures of the WT are correct...but of that was in the 80's, before Franz or Randy they left Brooklyn

But the point is simple: If they want to be honest with their statistics they have to make the follow adjustments:

1.Number of Baptized Witnesses

2.Number of Unbaptized Witnesses

3.Summary of the Total Number of the above

4.Total Number of disfellowshiped ones every year

5.Bible studies that they are unbaptized publishers

6.Bible studies that are not yet unbaptized publishers

So if they like to be honest let them follow the rest above, and we can see the real figures of the Watchtower

• Sherlock
    Sherlock
    It's hard for me to believe that with 10 years of the Internet, the access to huge amounts of reliable, accurate, negative WTS info online in 1st World countries, and the idiocy of WTS policy and lack of leadership during this time, that there would be a positive shift like this.

And what about the demography in the World ?

And you know that a lot of JW make websites to preach now. More than the ones who are Ex-JW.

Now, with this report, there is ONLY ONE COUNTRY (Lichenstein) out of ALL of those, that has negative growth! Japan, Denmark and Poland report no growth, but all the rest are in positive numbers. The US had an increase that amounts to about 3 new publishers in each congregation. That really surprises me.

It's mathematic. When you have decrease for many years, a short increase shows you a + but it doesn't mean a big change. For example : In France, the figures stay the same for many years (around 120 000 publishers) but 600 disapeared in the wild this year. And think about that a lot of teenagers were engaged to baptism. It's endogenous.

Compare to the Pentecotist's growing, JW are kids. You can't stop the preaching, but you can save your reason...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Where and why does the Watchtower Society grow?

Analyzing the 2007 statistics, I dearly wanted to know how the society managed to achieve a 3% increase this past year. I also wanted to confirm if internet usage has had an appreciable damper on growth. Internet usage does not seem to have had a significant impact.

After settling that question, I asked myself, since the Jehovah’s Witnesses are essentially an anti-religion (they are largely defined by what they don’t believe), what might affect WT growth? Could it be evangelical growth (riding on the labor of others), high proportion of Catholics (easy target), population growth, persecution (martyrdom), national instability (disaffected citizens), or atheism (damper effect)? Also, how does this year’s trend compare over a longer period, say, seven years?

I went back to the drawing board and selected nineteen nations who boast 100,000 average publishers or more. It turns out that these countries are the major drivers for growth. They make up 71% of the publisher population, and every one of them experienced an increase last year.

In these top Witness nations, three publishers can be found per 1,000 population. This is compared to the world average of one publisher per 1,000 population. The highest proportion of Witnesses can be found in Zambia, which boasts 1 publisher per hundred people.

I also compared the % increase against % population growth for each country. This comparison yielded a net decline for Congo, and a lower reported increase overall against the general population, these declines highlighted in yellow. For Germany, Japan, Poland, Russia, and Ukriane, the comparison yielded a higher increase against population growth.

Nation

Net Increase (Average Publisher versus National Population Growth Rate)

Less or more than stated increase

% increase, last seven years

Argentina

1.19%

Less

13.4%

Brazil

3.10%

Less

1.1%

Canada

0.39%

Less

10.3%

Colombia

2.78%

Less

27.9%

Congo, Dem. Rep.

-1.16%

Less

23.5%

France

0.92%

Less

34.0%

Germany

0.78%

More

6.8%

Italy

1.23%

Less

21.6%

Japan

0.43%

More

26.3%

Mexico

2.20%

Less

0.1%

Nigeria

1.08%

Less

3.6%

Philippines

1.75%

Less

-1.2%

Poland

0.16%

More

22.3%

Russia

4.86%

More

10.8%

Spain

2.16%

Less

4.6%

Ukraine

4.44%

More

28.2%

US of America

2.28%

Less

3.6%

Venezuela

2.55%

Less

26.6%

Zambia

1.59%

Less

17.8%

The nations that experienced decreases from 0 to 20% are nominal nations that make up only 1% of the publisher population, or 35,000 people. For example, Palau and Rota each declined from 10 to 8 average publishers. Even though the decline in those countries was 20%, the relative size of the sample group means it has a nominal effect overall.

Riding on Evangelical Growth

I found the Witness distribution to be largely similar to the Christian population around the world. If regular Christian evangelists and missionaries have failed to make large inroads, neither have the Witnesses. The Muslim, Buddhist, and Hindu nations are largely untouched by the Witnesses. I found in every case where the evangelists have declared the country "evangelized", there is a consequently large population of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Some of the most spectacular growth areas also shadow the growth of evangelical Christian groups, notably in Central and South America.

High Proportion of Catholics, Low Proportion of Atheists

Thirteen of the nineteen nations have the largest proportion of Catholics by religious affiliation. Nations that are exceptions to that rule include Germany, Italy, Japan, Nigeria, Russia, and the U.S. Proportion of Atheists has a negligible effect. Japan, France and Germany, in that order, have the highest proportion of Atheists, yet they also have a large proportion of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Population Growth

Population growth is a definite factor in the increases. That is, the society is keeping on par with deaths and births. This means also that the society is not collecting many new converts. The Congo experienced a decline over population growth this year. Over the past seven years, congregation growth has not kept up with population growth in Brazil, Mexico, Nigeria, Philippines, and in the US.

Persecution

Persecution could certainly be one of the factors helping the Witness cause. Russia and France have been in the news for their legal attempts to curtail the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

National Instability

I used two factors; GINI Index and HDI Index to compare these top Witness nations. GINI and HDI are described at www.wikipedia.org . The lower the GINI, the better. This indicates a smaller gap between the rich and the poor. It is expected that a country with a low GINI index would experience greater trust amongst its citizens. HDI or Human Development Index, measures several factors in determining the health of a nation.

Nation

% Increase

GINI Index (lower is better)

HDI Index (higher is better)

Russia

4.4%

Colombia

4.2%

Brazil

4.1%

Venezuela

4.0%

Ukraine

3.8%

Philippines

3.5%

Nigeria

3.5%

Mexico

3.4%

Zambia

3.3%

US of America

3.2%

Spain

2.3%

Congo, Dem. Rep.

2.2%

Argentina

2.1%

France

1.5%

Canada

1.3%

Italy

1.2%

Germany

0.7%

Japan

0.3%

Poland

0.1%

There does seem to be some correlation between GINI and Witness growth. The Ukraine is an exception. They have a low GINI (small gap between rich and poor), but a high growth rate this year, 3.8%. Perhaps the overall poverty of the country compensates. Their HDI is 0.788 (medium) which means their nation needs to do some work.

Countries with Medium to Low HDI experienced the highest growth. The US is an exception. In Africa, the Congo, Nigeria, and Zambia rated HDI in the 400’s, which is a very poor rating. Brazil, Columbia, Philippines, Russia, Ukraine, and Venezuela all rated "medium" (700-800) on the HDI index, while experiencing growth rates from 2% to 4%.

Sources:

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/

http://www.internetworldstats.com

http://www.strategicnetwork.org/index.php?loc=kb&view=v&id=4262&fto=1062&

http://www.momentum-mag.org/200611/200611-article1.pdf

http://www.wikipedia.org

• juni
    juni

wow jgnat! I have to come back to this tomorrow... it's too late for my brain to digest all of this right now. Thanks for sharing your research.

Juni

• david_10
    david_10

I have always felt that the Society is basically honest in compiling and publishing their statistics. The reason I believe this is because of the Anointed numbers: the fact that this number went up again, as it usually does, looks real bad. It proves that Jehovah is either a poor judge of character, or that the whole doctrine of a diminishing anointed remnant is a big crock. It's one or the other, pick one. If the Society was going to lie about their stats, then I would think that they would lie about that one. And it would be real easy: Just report a 1% or 2% decrease every year and they could go for decades and no one would be the wiser. But when it shows an increase, then they report it as such.

So I think that the society is basically honest with their numbers. Where the big discrepancy comes in is the raw data that that is sent in by the individual congregations. Having been an appointed servant in 3 congregations in my time, and having seen the numbers that were tallied and sent to Brooklyn, I know for a fact that they border on the absurd. I suppose that the actual publisher count might be hard to fake, but everything else--------the hours, placements, studies, return visits, etc.-------------------is ridiculous. And I guess that it wouldn't even be that hard to fake the publisher count. Just have your 6 year old child fill out a time slip. That's pretty phoney, in my opinion, and it used to happen all the time. I'm sure it still does.

Excellent post, GaryBuss, as always. But I would also disagree with that one point: I seriously doubt that the governing body will ever do away with the field service requirement. That one single activity is the main way they have of keeping the flock under their thumb. They know that it doesn't work, just like the sound cars don't work; they know it is a useless waste of time; they know that riding around in a car for 2 hours and wasting gas and sitting in Duncan Donuts is not zealous Kingdom preaching. But it's the main measuring stick they have of gauging the spirituality of the flock. For the brothers, it is the "cash" that is used to buy their way up through the ranks. It supplies the guilt trip needed to keep the R & F in line and under their control. It also keeps the witnesses on an adversarial footing with the world and gives them a reason to push a lawsuit to the Supreme Court every few years, thereby kicking the devil into a corner where he belongs. No, field service is just too powerful of a tool to be dispensed with, and I doubt if they ever will. So everybody will just keep on playing the game, which is riding around in the car, dumping magazines at the laundry mat, sending the numbers to Brooklyn, whereupon the Society chortles about "Jehovah's rich blessing."

Great work, jgnat--------------------------very impressive. You know, I also would've thought that the internet has been having more of an effect, but it might not be as much as we thought. Maybe we can figure out a more plausible explanation.

David

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit