Who wants to see this year's DC invitation?

by sir82 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Audio drama? WTF is that? Perhaps it's just the soundtrack for that stupid YPA video they released. Nothing like going backwards with technology. That's real motivation for taking that Friday off from work! Also, my farts would probably make better audio dramas than anything the WTS puts out.

I agree that the invite makes them look VERY mainstream. It's like watching a Morris Cerullo commercial, except it's been captured in time on a colorful piece of toilet paper.

Oh yeah, don't forget to order a bible teach book too - gotta move stock!

• sir82
    sir82

Thank you Atlantis!

Also note the 2nd chnge from the past, in addition to the "voice drama": The Sunday public talk hs been moved to the morning, while the costume drama goes to the afternoon. I guess too many were cutting out at lunchtime on Sundays....

• blondie
    blondie

Actually this is called a "handbill" not a tract which explains it being 2-sided.

I wonder if each "publisher" will be required to hand write the congregation's address in the spot provided or if the congregations with stamp that info in?

Interesting phrasing:

"fast-moving" symposium--right!

"real" followers of Christ--only JWs, all other religions are false and part of Babylon the Great soon to be destroyed and all its members

even the baby has a badge on

Sound drama on Mark 4 and 5--the same thing as the current type of drama without "taking up valuable service time" with a live cast lip-synching the words

Drama--Colossians 3:12: Finally NT but only one verse.

Accordingly, as God’s chosen ones, holy and loved, clothe yourselves with the tender affections of compassion, kindness, lowliness of mind, mildness, and long-suffering.

(Why not: (Colossians 3:13-14) 13 Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely if anyone has a cause for complaint against another. Even as Jehovah freely forgave YOU, so do YOU also. 14 But, besides all these things, [clothe yourselves with] love, for it is a perfect bond of union.)

With a theme like "Follow The Christ" even the WTS would be foolish to use the OT this time. Mark 3 and 4 and the chapters used...why those chapters?

Actually Mark is the abbreviated account/shorthand version of Christ's life. I wonder who gets to play Jesus?

Blondie

PS I think the WTS has handed out handbills for the DC public talks for years but not in towns where the DC is not being held. Imagine inviting someone to go to a DC 200 miles away when they haven't even come to the KH 2 miles down the road.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    "fast-moving" symposium--right!

If the symposium is fast-moving, why has my arse fallen asleep?

even the baby has a badge on

I wonder if they have warnings on them that say "This badge is not a toy"

I wonder who gets to play Jesus?

The Elders of course!

The Sunday public talk hs been moved to the morning, while the costume drama goes to the afternoon. I guess too many were cutting out at lunchtime on Sundays....

For me, it got to a point where I could care less if I missed the drama. I'd rather be at home, enjoying some time outside, listening to music, and basically ANYTHING instead of sitting in those metal chairs for an entire day.

• blondie
    blondie
    The Sunday public talk hs been moved to the morning, while the costume drama goes to the afternoon. I guess too many were cutting out at lunchtime on Sundays....

That's a big change...the public talk has historically been in the afternoon and was supposed to be the BIG attraction.

Blondie

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I'm tempted to go to the convention this year. . .just to see how they spin the sermon on the mount. And of course to get info on the true followers of Christ. AND to see how they portray "The Christ." Just curious.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Did anyone note that this is the first time they included 'Jesus' or 'Christ' in the title of a DC program in more years than I can count?

I looked back to at least 1969 and they NEVER did this before. This seems to be part of a later-day movement to the mainstream to me.

If I didn't know better, I would never believe this was an invite to a Jw event at a glance. The only other time they hightlight Jesus is around Xmas time every year with the Watchtower and offering the 'Greatest Man' book. Of course even that title is an insult to Him.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Drama-
    On Sunday afternoon, a cast of over 25 characters will present this drama based on
    Colossians 3:12

Col. 3:12 says in NWT:
    Accordingly, as God's chosen ones, holy and loved, clothe yourselves with the tender
    affections of compassion, kindness, lowliness of mind, mildness, and long-suffering.

This allows us to speculate, along with the other talks mentioned.
    Chosen ones need to be lowly of mind. Obey the Governing Body and don't think
    much of yourself as an anointed one.
    Chapter 3 of Colossians says "the Christ" over and over. They can get everyone
    starting to think "the Christ" and "the Governing Body" are synonymous.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Its pleasing to see so much emphasis on Jesus. This is extraordinary for JW's.

The theme of the public talk is disappointing though. Obviously it is going to be a rant about how JW's are so much better than other 'Christians'. They cannot resist bashing other Christians and elevating the organisation.

Using the words 'the Christ' instead of just Jesus or Christ is very suspicious. No doubt they are going to apply this term to the FDS/GB and use it as a submission tool.

• sir82
    sir82
    "PS I think the WTS has handed out handbills for the DC public talks for years but not in towns where the DC is not being held. Imagine inviting someone to go to a DC 200 miles away when they haven't even come to the KH 2 miles down the road."

Just an FYI, last year the JWs handed out invitations to DCs all over the world, not just in the convention city. It had so much "success" * that they are repeating it this year - all over the world, whether the convention site is next door or 1000 miles away (very possibly the case for some remote or foreign language groups).

I would expect this to be a yearly feature of the JWs now, invitations to the DC & Memorial by "special campaign".

* "Success" in this Orwellian world has nothing to do with how many people "from the field" actually attend the convention - in fact, the Society probably prefers they stay away, due to the loaded language and frankly weird ideas presented. No, "success" is measured by how well the JWs are kept going in meaningless busywork that appears "important" somehow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit