AllTimeJeffs Story

by AllTimeJeff 116 Replies latest members private

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I re-read this for the first time in a while.

I have had a busy time at work, but its good for me to remember that 3 years ago, I was flat on my back in Africa. And I am back home. I could be stuck in a missionary home in Cameroon during the Great Recession, wondering why I stuck with a cult and crazy ex. At least I got out....

I know that probably what I say gets more attention cause I went to Gilead, and to be sure, I have had some whacked out, crappy, no one should have to go through that, experiences.

But truthfully, all the drama was my own doing. I had so many chances to make different choices, but I didn't. And I liked the attention. So no one should think that well of me cause I left. I wanted to help JW's, but I liked all the attention till I got to Gilead. Gilead caused me to look in the mirror and see the track I was on, and I didn't like it one bit.

I have seen that my experiences do benefit some, so that is cool. I hope everyone knows I really respect and admire all who left. It takes a lot of courage and integrity to start over again.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I think it's important to be involved w/whatever you're involved with otherwise you'll never find out what's wrong with it. Your experience as well as that I've discerned in others is indicative of deep involvement. It's a good characteristic to have. It got you and others out.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Narkissos,

Wow, did not know you missed it. I think that part is the most key points or highlights of Jeff's life after leaving the cult. Iam glad it caught your attention.

Thanks

Scott77

• Chalam
    Chalam

Awesome story Jeff!

BUMPING UP

I feel a book coming on. You are about halfway through :)

All the best,

Stephen

• Confucious
    Confucious

Wow.

How did I miss this thread the first time.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Before bed, I just want to point out something. I was attacked twice in Africa at knifepoint. Mark Noumair, a Gilead instructor made reference to occasions when the authorities detained them.

Another missionary couple from Michigan, whom I bumped into at a grocery store and freaked out after I left, had guns pulled on them multiple times in Africa. (Uganda I think) One time, the military had their faces to the ground with guns aimed at their heads.

I bring this up because as you read my story and of my attacks, I want you to know that this happens every year all around the world to missionaries, esp in Africa. It can happen anywhere, I know.

So though I did go through some extraordinary stuff, it is somewhat common.

It pisses me off, but I have no one but myself to blame, and that is why I left. The ones who stay, well, they're the really crazy ones....

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

Jeff, loved your story, painful as it was to write. For me writing has been cathartic. My experience has been painful but not compared to yours. You're a good writer. Looking to hear more about Gilead.

Question on the x-wife...........her response to you was bizarre. In examining mental health issues, Have you ever been able to put a label on it?

• VIII
    VIII

Wow! Incredible story of how you left. Admirable. I am really sorry about your brother. I hope you have hooked back up with your parents and they are OK.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Jeff - I have read your references to your brother and almost being killed in Africa, this is the first time I have actually read the account. I am sitting in here in tears reflecting on how you must have felt when you realised that you gave up so much for a Cult. It must have been so hard for you to have overcome the emotional turmoil you experienced. I am so glad you have survived and have been able to pick up the pieces, many would have found that impossible. I know this sounds shallow and corny but your really are an inspiration.

• wannabefree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit