Judicial Committee Preparation

by Marvin Shilmer 157 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Jim W writes:

“My argument is that civil rights are not involved.”

This is only true when it is true, a fact that seems to escape your notice. However, if or when civil rights are violated then what you write is false. I have not stated that civil rights would or would not be violated. I have recommended a stance to better assert and defend such rights when and if they are violated. Hence your argument amounts to nothing more than a complaint in this discussion.

Jim W writes:

“Calling the police is a pointless waste of time, and threats to call the police are likewise a waste of time ... unless a crime is involved.”

“Unless a crime is involved”! BINGO!!!

My recommendations warn against criminal conduct, and in the event a law is broken a firmer footing is established about the elders rules of engagement, so to speak. Civil courts do expect individuals and organizations to keep their word. It’s called a verbal contract.

Jim W writes:

“I also argued that the California case only covers matters of child molestation and abuse or perhaps other crimes.”

And this “argument” was summarily refuted, which apparently you yield by saying “or perhaps other crimes”. You have 1) utterly failed to substantiate your claim that the particular ruling was based on the sort of crime committed in the instance of that case, and 2) have utterly failed to address the actual black-letter law provided you on this forum.

Jim W writes:

“If I get into a snit with the Elders over some lesser issue, I will be hard pressed to use this case law, especially outside of California. That was, and continues to be my argument.”

No one is talking about getting into a snit. We are talking about going into an unfair process (the WTS judicial hearing) with a firmer foundation for later recourse, should it come to that. As for “outside of California,” we see you have failed to address the gravity of the California ruling in relation to other states with similar black-letter law. You have also failed to address the other complications this poses for the WTS’ uniform judicial procedures throughout the USA.

Jim W writes:

“Marvin went off defending other things, and Marvin continues to deliberately ignore my simple and basicv argument because he, like some others I know, are obsessed with being raight at any expense.”

Elsewhere on this very thread I have addressed every single one of what you call arguments above. Every single one. I have also shown how every single one of them is either wrong of irrelevant to the issue at hand. I have no problem with being wrong. In fact, when I am wrong I am glad it is pointed out to me. Where, exactly, am I wrong here? Where? Please show me the words. That is, my words, not your rendition or impression of my words.

Jim W writes:

“In this case, he is giving an impression to ex-JWs that they can willy-nilly take a California ruling and have a go with the Elders over any matter.”

And so there we see it. It is not my words; it is your impression of my words that you complain about. Your entire line of complaint on this thread is based on your impression of my words. I suggest you stick to what I have actually stated and leave off refuting your own impression of my words. When one complains about their own impressions, it is telling.

Jim W writes:

“They are going to find that this may not be as simple as Marvin makes it sound.”

Here we have it, again. The way I sound, to Jim W. Again you are complaining not about my actual words, but rather how it sounds to your ears. Have you considered that perhaps you have hearing problems, or misimpression? Again your complaints are Jim W centric and not toward the actual words provided on this forum.

Jim W writes:

“Marvin has done anything but aptly illustrate how the WTS has been legally weakened in matters outside the child molestation issue ... which issue we are all well aware has been a serious blow to the Watchtower Society.”

Marvin has only repeated what others have attained, which is that penitential communication laws like the one in California leaves the WTS’ judicial processes vulnerable under the law. You have avoided this basic fact over and over again, despite that several Crayola pictures have been drawn for your personal benefit.

Marvin Shilmer

• minimus
    minimus

This has been a most interesting and informative thread,!!! I agree with Jim W's logic and I suppose that puts me in a very very bad place now! Honestly, though, I don't see why the WAY things are being expressed are as they are. Why does a poster have to resort to baiting and name calling and putdowns?? Marvin and Jim are both very bright men. Just because someone disagrees with our point of view, it doesn't mean we should try to belittle them always. That is truly a JW trait. My point from the beginning was that you can call the police, threaten the elders, write a letter to the Society and even threaten to starve yourself to death-----and the outcome will be the same. That doesn't make me happy and if we could change the system and win our freedom and our friends and family back, then it would all be wonderful......I guess there's nothing wrong with hoping.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minimus,

My point from the beginning was that you can call the police, threaten the elders, write a letter to the Society and even threaten to starve yourself to death-----and the outcome will be the same.

And this is where you are wrong.

I personally know of at least two dozen cases where the elders have been threatened with lawyers and the CO has been instructed by the Branch to back off. In fact when I was an active JW I was involved in two such scenarios where I was informed by the Branch to back away for reasons of negative publicity. That is only my own experience and I am sure there are dozens of others.

Which takes us to another point :

I agree with Jim W's logic and I suppose that puts me in a very very bad place now!

It does not take you to a 'bad place' Minimus, but it takes you to a place where you might be called on to explain your views. Jim in part agrees with Marvin, so it follows logically that if you agree with Jim you also aknowledge that you also agree with *part* of what Marvin writes.

Might I ask which part you agree with and which part you do not?

HS

• minimus
    minimus

I'm not going to pleasure you in this way, Hillary, (in answer to your last question). Regarding those days that the Society was threatened with lawsuits and backed off, when was this? In the 90's?? I believe their attitude has changed and when a JW has threatened with legal action, they let the games begin. I know of a JW that played cat and mouse games with the elders for a couple of years. He was still df'd this summer because direction from the Society was to do so. Honestly, don't you think that if the Society knew that being threatened (elders, actually) that they would simply stop the procedures as they have them in place? I think the Society's lawyers are not stupid at all.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Marvin,

This is only true when it is true, a fact that seems to escape your notice. However, if or when civil rights are violated then what you write is false. I have not stated that civil rights would or would not be violated. I have recommended a stance to better assert and defend such rights when and if they are violated. Hence your argument amounts to nothing more than a complaint in this discussion.

You introduced "civil rights" which led to my response. Your comments above are rather senseless. Violation of civil rights is normally a criminal matter, and one so victimized may seek "additional" remedy in civil actions, usually for some monetary award. Besides child molestation, which is a clear crime, what civil rights violation can one possibly allege against the Watchtower, in which case they could use the California ruling? This you have left glaringly absent from your argument.

I stated, "Calling the police is a pointless waste of time, and threats to call the police are likewise a waste of time ... unless a crime is involved.”

To which Marvin replies:

“Unless a crime is involved”! BINGO!!!

Thank you for finally, at last, recognizing what I have been saying all along, which you have ignored up to this time. All of your earlier commentary either failed to address this point, or when mentioned, failed to stipulate that crime must be involved. We can now agree.

My recommendations warn against criminal conduct, and in the event a law is broken a firmer footing is established about the elders rules of engagement, so to speak. Civil courts do expect individuals and organizations to keep their word. It’s called a verbal contract.

Your original posting, to which I responded, never mentioend calling the police only when crime is involved. You simply stated that one should call the police when dealing with the Elders as an act to intimidate the Elders. Here is a copy for your convenience:

Judicial Committee Preparation ... Recently a friend inquired about how to best prepare for a judicial committee hearing from the prospective of the subject individual. At a minimum I recommend the following: ... When invited to the hearing (or to any “meeting” with local elders) make damn sure you question whether this is for a judicial hearing. If it is stated that this is the purpose of the “meeting” then ask: ...

1. Will any documents of record be made of this meeting?
    2. Who will make/produce the documentation?
    3. Who will have access to the documents of record?
    4. Will this documentation contain information about my person, including my name and details discussed during the meeting?
    5. Will I have access to any and all documentation of this meeting? If not, why not?
    6. Will I have opportunity to object to any official documentation of the judicial hearing?
    7. Can you record the meeting with a voice or video recorder? If not, why not?
    8. Ask to have a personal advisor present during your judicial hearing. Reject any notion that sitting judiciaries (elders) will give any advice you might need during the process.
    9. Make notes of answers to these questions and have the elder(s) initial it as an authentic record of thein invitation to your judicial hearing. If they refuse this then just include this refusal in your note.

Make these men go on record on these issues. ... If you choose to attend the judicial hearing then, at a minimum, I recommend that you bring a friend along to sit and wait for you immediately outside the hearing room, and:

1. Do not answer any questions whatsoever, including making an opening statement.
    2. Ask for proof of any accusations made against your person.
    3. Insist that any witnesses testify in person.
    4. Reject testimony given by elders who are also serving as members of the judiciary.
    5. Keep meticulous records. Go with paper and pen in hand. Insist on writing down any questions asked, word for word. Insist on writing down any answers given, word for word. This will be time consuming and laborious. But insist on it. If you are told such documentation is disallowed then ask why, and write down what you are told. Hand this record over to your friend immediately as you leave the room as a witness to your record keeping.

Any witnesses who testify in your behalf should likewise take meticulous notes. If elders deny this then these witnesses should demand the privilege as a constitutional right. If they continue to be denied then they should state that they are reporting the incident to the police and their attorney.

If you are told that you are disallowed from meticulously documenting your own judicial hearing then refuse to be involved with the process and state that you are calling the police and your attorney to report a violation of your constitutional rights. Announce that your lawsuit will seek damages from the Watchtower Society, the local congregation and each elder on the judicial committee.

Marvin Shilmer

What constitutional right does one demand as a privilege? A right is a right! What "right" do you have in mind when you make this argument? What crime did you mention of stipulate to which one would call the police? None! Now you claim that you recommended calling the police when a "crime" has been committed, a notion totally absent from your recommendations until I argued for this for several posts until you finally claim it for yourself. How disingenuous can you be?!

I stated, “I also argued that the California case only covers matters of child molestation and abuse or perhaps other crimes.”

And this “argument” was summarily refuted, which apparently you yield by saying “or perhaps other crimes”. You have 1) utterly failed to substantiate your claim that the particular ruling was based on the sort of crime committed in the instance of that case, and 2) have utterly failed to address the actual black-letter law provided you on this forum.

You are in error and twisting the sequence of events. I have always argued that the ruling was based on child molestation and child abuse alone. If it were to be applied, hence, "perhaps" to other "crimes" then yes, it may be applied. There is no yielding, as this has been my arguement. You, on the other hand, presented in more loosly, in a willy-nilly fashion without stipulating confinement to California or to certain specific crimes. I have not failed to stipulate or substantiant that the ruling was based on the crime of molestation and abuse. Let's see what I highlighted, which you quoted:

From Charissa et al Vs Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: ... “{The WTS} objects to the production of a number of documents requested by plaintiff on the ground they are protected by the penitential communication privilege contained in Evidence Code section 1032. This court finds that the privilege does not apply to communications between the alleged abusers and the Judicial Committee. The evidence presented by both sides establishes that communications with the Judicial Committee do not fall within the scope of the privilege. First, it is clear that the Judicial Committee’s purpose is to investigate sins for which disfellowship is a potential penalty…. Second, the privilege does not apply because the Judicial Committee was under no obligation to keep the communications private. In fact, the evidence establishes that the Judicial Committee was required to communicate information it obtained regarding potential cases of child molestation to the Watchtower Society headquarters.”

How on earth can you possibly argue that I failed to substantiate that the ruling was based on the crime of child molestation? That was in fact the entire point of the ruling and discussing the communications between the Judicial Committee and the Watchtower Society. That crime cannot be protected in this case, in the State of California, in the manner that the Watchtower Socety wishes to protect it. In my postings I allowed for "other" application all along, but that it would be a long and difficult stretch: First, to get the ruling to apply to other types of issues, including crimes, and Two, to get the ruling accepted outside of California in other State courts.

We are talking about going into an unfair process (the WTS judicial hearing) with a firmer foundation for later recourse, should it come to that. As for “outside of California,” we see you have failed to address the gravity of the California ruling in relation to other states with similar black-letter law. You have also failed to address the other complications this poses for the WTS’ uniform judicial procedures throughout the USA.

Jim W writes: “If I get into a snit with the Elders over some lesser issue, I will be hard pressed to use this case law, especially outside of California. That was, and continues to be my argument.”

No one is talking about getting into a snit. We are talking about going into an unfair process (the WTS judicial hearing) with a firmer foundation for later recourse, should it come to that.

I think you are straining over my use of the word "snit." Nothing more needs to be said.

As for “outside of California,” we see you have failed to address the gravity of the California ruling in relation to other states with similar black-letter law. You have also failed to address the other complications this poses for the WTS’ uniform judicial procedures throughout the USA.

I never stated that the ruling was not serious, but rather not as flexible and open-ended as you have alluded in your discussion. You bank a lot on its application elsewhere, and I think you are the one in error. The onus is on you to demonstrate how this ruling can and will be applied elsewhere, and in what other types of cases, and how ex-JWs may run to their attorneys to start law suits. It was neither my purpose nor within the scope of my commentary to go any further than to challenge the implication of your recommendations. The onus in not on me. Trying to turn it around is intellectually dishonest on your part.

Elsewhere on this very thread I have addressed every single one of what you call arguments above. Every single one. I have also shown how every single one of them is either wrong of irrelevant to the issue at hand. I have no problem with being wrong. In fact, when I am wrong I am glad it is pointed out to me. Where, exactly, am I wrong here? Where? Please show me the words. That is, my words, not your rendition or impression of my words.

You may thing you have, but you have not. You have used a lot of false argumentation to side-step the few and brief points I made in the opening and continued to hold to up to this posting. You have the onus of showing where you have addressed every one of my points ... and do so with your postings up to you last one above. I think if you really read what I have written, you will see what you missed. Go ahead, go through every one of my postings here and then show how yours addressed, and refuted my points. Just above, I showed how you finally came around to my argument that one should not call the police unless a crime was committed. I showed how your opening post did not mention crime. You take my position witout recognizing your error, and act as though it was always your own. That is intellectually dishonest!

Jim W writes: “In this case, he is giving an impression to ex-JWs that they can willy-nilly take a California ruling and have a go with the Elders over any matter.”

And so there we see it. It is not my words; it is your impression of my words that you complain about. Your entire line of complaint on this thread is based on your impression of my words. I suggest you stick to what I have actually stated and leave off refuting your own impression of my words. When one complains about their own impressions, it is telling.

You ORIGINAL POSTING as I quoted entirely above, says nothing about crime being involved as the basis to call the police. You have neglected this topic until this latest go around. It is not an impression ... it is a fact of your own writing which you now trying to escape by engaging in my alleged impressions. I merely took you at your exact word, and you are now uncomfortable with that and seek escape.

Here we have it, again. The way I sound, to Jim W. Again you are complaining not about my actual words, but rather how it sounds to your ears. Have you considered that perhaps you have hearing problems, or misimpression? Again your complaints are Jim W centric and not toward the actual words provided on this forum.

I agree, I dislike the use of the word "sound" when dealing entirely with the written word. I will give you that one as a slip on my part. Nontheless, your recommendations are simplistic as one can see by reading them in the original post, either pn page one or here above within this post. That was, and continues to be the basis of my responses to you. Your arguments about my impressions are merely an effort to side-step your own weak, unclear, and generalized recommendations.

Jim W writes: “Marvin has done anything but aptly illustrate how the WTS has been legally weakened in matters outside the child molestation issue ... which issue we are all well aware has been a serious blow to the Watchtower Society.”

Marvin has only repeated what others have attained, which is that penitential communication laws like the one in California leaves the WTS’ judicial processes vulnerable under the law. You have avoided this basic fact over and over again, despite that several Crayola pictures have been drawn for your personal benefit.

There you go again with your crayon remarks. You fail to show respect. You will receive none until you knock it off. Okay, let's see how I have NOT avoided this issue:

I stated on Nov. 22nd:

"You are leaving out the reasons for these rulings which is germane to the issue at hand, and afect your recommendations. First, criminal conduct is the underlying basis, even though this is a civil liability action. Second, the courts are not saying that the JWs cannot have their judicial proceedings, they simply are stating that their style of Church Government is not protected because of the "nature" of the judicial proceedings. If the JWs used the Catholic style of "confession" then it would still be protected." - Jim W.

I further stated on Nov. 23rd.

These rulings have much to do with the child abuse issue. These same rulings may not necessarily work in other situations where the Elders want to meet with a person who, for example, has been inactive, and known to not be in harmony with the organization. Shilmer is making a serious leap that could mislead people on this board into thinking that the case law decisions made in the child abuse cases will now be applicable in other kinds of cases in the JW system. - Jim W.

In another posting on Nov. 23rd I stated similarly:

Shilmer, you are getting funny. Notice that the term "alleged abusers" and "potential cases of child molestation" I have highlighted in red? The case law decision arises out of child abuse issues just as I have stated. Yes these are the rulings and I read them, but apparantly, you fail to understand United States law and how courts operate. The code stipulated is California Code. Thus it does not apply to the other 49 states. Even IF the matter is appealed to the federal level, it will still only apply in that case, and has to be argued again in other state court cases. Then, to take it outside the scope of child abuse, one has to show the court similar issues that make the California ruling applicable in their case. Then the court, if not a California court, is not bound by California case law, but may take it into consideration. - Jim W.

Then, earlier this morning, I gave a case example applying this ruling your way:

Then, if I apply your legal advice, I should be able to go back to the State of Oregon, where I was forcibly disassociated, and make a case for nullifying that action by aplying a California law on child molestation ... an action that also had strong participation by the Watchtower Society legal department. The story was vividly detailed in my exit series. Will you go off board, contact the legal counsel that told me I could not make a case, and set him straight? Will you show that attorney how wrong he is? Please, do this as I would love to sue the ass off of the Society. If after you have so instructed the attorney I have suggested, and you learn that you are full of it, will you humbly come back to this board and publicly apologize? You may answer by PM if you are interested in the challenge. - Jim W.

There were over thirty pages of dicumentation that I wrote in this case, all of which the Society has. The Society and the local Elders all have plenty of documentation of this own, some of which I have, but most of which is held back from me. So, now again, you tell me, by using your legal interpretation of the California ruling, advise the attorney I spoke with as to how this ruling can be used to obtain that documentation and help me build a case to sue the Watchtower Society. Let's hear it, and stop alleging that I have avoided some issue. Let put your legal expertise to the test!

As I have asserted above, time and again, the Watchtower judicial process was rendered vulnerable in the cases involving child molestation. That is its application in matters of case law in California. Go back and read my postings to date and you will see this line of reasoning. Without directly saying it, you argue for a much broader application outside the crime of child molestation. I argued that for now it applies to this crime and "perhaps" other crimes. My emphasis throughout the discussion was about crime, in particular child molestation, and not just any civil matter one might have with the Watchtrower Society. I have avoided nothing, and your claim is intellectually dishonest as I have demonstrated with several quotes from my earlier postings. I simply argue that your application is too broad and could be misleading to ex-JWs who want to sue the Society for other reasons. It is you that deliberately side-steps this clearly stated position throughout my postings in your silly attempt to prove your own rightness, which is not right.

You ignored my first challenge ... even though you say you addressed all of my points. Will you now accept or decline my challenge to talk to the attorney and explain how I can apply this California ruling to my own Disassociation such that I can sue the Society?

Jim Whitney

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minimus,

Regarding those days that the Society was threatened with lawsuits and backed off, when was this? In the 90's?? I believe their attitude has changed and when a JW has threatened with legal action, they let the games begin.

No, in 2002 a good friend who used some of Marvin's suggestions and threatened to personally sue the elders during his JC if they allowed any slander to take place over his good name. The CO was instructed by the Branch to back away. He received assurance from the PO that as long as he stayed away from the Congregation they would 'leave him alone'. I am quite sure that this is not unique case even in the C21st.

Minimus - I agree with Jim W's logic and I suppose that puts me in a very very bad place now!

Hillary - It does not take you to a 'bad place' Minimus, but it takes you to a place where you might be called on to explain your views. Jim in part agrees with Marvin, so it follows logically that if you agree with Jim you also aknowledge that you also agree with *part* of what Marvin writes.

Might I ask which part you agree with and which part you do not?

Minimus - I'm not going to pleasure you in this way, Hillary, (in answer to your last question).

What has happened here is that I have called your bluff on your statement and you have subsequently been unwilling or unable to defend the very essence of your posts to this thread. Your frequent sneering criticism of those you refer to as 'board intellectuals' is misplaced, as actually they would not refer to themselves as intellectuals, but perhaps they merely follow the practice of actually reading the threads on which they post to, and use some level of logic in doing so.

HS

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Jim W writes:

“Besides child molestation, which is a clear crime, what civil rights violation can one possibly allege against the Watchtower, in which case they could use the California ruling? This you have left glaringly absent from your argument.”

Any criminal prosecution or civil lawsuit where the WTS attempts to deny access to judicial committee documents on the ground that it is protected penitential communication under statutes reading similar to California’s Evidence Code 1032. Name your cause of action.

To my response about CALLING police, Jim W writes:

“Thank you for finally, at last, recognizing what I have been saying all along, which you have ignored up to this time.”

No one has ignored the value of CALLING the police except when a crime has either been committed or a crime is suspected. This is no news, but it is irrelevant because my recommendations did not assert one should CALL the police. It asserted that one should threaten to call the police. This has been said repeatedly to you, yet you act otherwise.

Jim W writes:

“Your original posting, to which I responded, never mentioend calling the police only when crime is involved. You simply stated that one should call the police when dealing with the Elders as an act to intimidate the Elders.”

Have taken the time to actually read what I wrote? Please show everyone exactly WHERE I recommended that “one should call the police”. Please. Show us all. Please.

On the other hand, in ANY instance where a crime has either occurred or it is suspected then, naturally, a law abiding individual should call the police, particularly if they are the victim!

Now. SHOW the words, Jim W. Please!

Jim W writes:

“What constitutional right does one demand as a privilege? A right is a right! What "right" do you have in mind when you make this argument?”

Any constitutional right—name one and you have one.

Jim W. writes:

“What crime did you mention of stipulate to which one would call the police? None! Now you claim that you recommended calling the police when a "crime" has been committed, a notion totally absent from your recommendations until I argued for this for several posts until you finally claim it for yourself. How disingenuous can you be?!”

Where did I tell anyone to actually call the police? Please provide the words, Jim W, since you take such great pains to claim I am disingenuous.

Jim W writes:

“You are in error and twisting the sequence of events. I have always argued that the ruling was based on child molestation and child abuse alone.”

Error? Twisting the sequence? What they hell are you talking about? What you state immediately above these words is nothing but corroboration of what I replied to and refuted. You said the California decision at issue was based purely on child abuse and this is NOT what the actual ruling states. The actual ruling cites the Evidence Code in question (Cal. 1032) and THE REASONS it did not apply to JUDICIAL RECORDS. Neither 1) the Evidence Code nor 2) the REASONS provided in the ruling, nor the relevant nature of JUDICIAL RECORDS pertain to child abuse. Child abuse is the cause of the lawsuit/prosecution. Child abuse is not the cause of the particular court ruling in respect to Evidence Code 1032. On this point, you are simply all wet, and I see no reason to continue wasting my time splainin it to ya. Read. Get educated.

Jim W writes:

“I have not failed to stipulate or substantiant that the ruling was based on the crime of molestation and abuse. Let's see what I highlighted, which you quoted:

“From Charissa et al Vs Watchtower Bible and Tract Society: ... “{The WTS} objects to the production of a number of documents requested by plaintiff on the ground they are protected by the penitential communication privilege contained in Evidence Code section 1032. This court finds that the privilege does not apply to communications between the alleged abusers and the Judicial Committee. The evidence presented by both sides establishes that communications with the Judicial Committee do not fall within the scope of the privilege. First, it is clear that the Judicial Committee’s purpose is to investigate sins for which disfellowship is a potential penalty…. Second, the privilege does not apply because the Judicial Committee was under no obligation to keep the communications private. In fact, the evidence establishes that the Judicial Committee was required to communicate information it obtained regarding potential cases of child molestation to the Watchtower Society headquarters.”

“How on earth can you possibly argue that I failed to substantiate that the ruling was based on the crime of child molestation? That was in fact the entire point of the ruling and discussing the communications between the Judicial Committee and the Watchtower Society. That crime cannot be protected in this case, in the State of California, in the manner that the Watchtower Socety wishes to protect it. In my postings I allowed for "other" application all along, but that it would be a long and difficult stretch: First, to get the ruling to apply to other types of issues, including crimes, and Two, to get the ruling accepted outside of California in other State courts.”

Jim W, it is really, really sad to see such a poor conception of what is stated above. The REASONS GIVEN for the court ruling as it ruled have NOTHING whatsoever to do with the particular crime the case involves. The reasons are, again, the nature of judicial hearings and that the judicial committee is required to share its process with the WTS. Nuff said. Get some education.

Jim W writes:

“I never stated that the ruling was not serious, but rather not as flexible and open-ended as you have alluded in your discussion. You bank a lot on its application elsewhere, and I think you are the one in error. The onus is on you to demonstrate how this ruling can and will be applied elsewhere, and in what other types of cases, and how ex-JWs may run to their attorneys to start law suits. It was neither my purpose nor within the scope of my commentary to go any further than to challenge the implication of your recommendations. The onus in not on me. Trying to turn it around is intellectually dishonest on your part.”

The onus is on the courts to apply or not to find similarly to how the California courts found. If the same black-letter law is found in other states then prosecutors and/or plaintiffs have sufficient reason to challenge refusal of the WTS to hand over judicial documents. THIS IS THE POINT.

Another point is that it PAYS to set the stage for litigation if one thinks it is foreseeable. Thus the recommendations posed at the outset of this thread. THIS IS ALSO THE POINT.

This is not called intellectual dishonesty, or disengenousness. It is called PREPERATION. And GUESS WHAT is the TITLE of this thread? And GUESS WHO provided the title? Need a clue? Or, is that a silly question to ask at this point?

The rest of your wordiness and blather neither needs nor deserves rebut. Readers can easily make of it what it is. My crayon is down to a nub.

Marvin Shilmer, who gives respect as it is earned day by day

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

I am going to address the latter statement by Jim W.

Jim W wrote:

“Then, if I apply your legal advice, I should be able to go back to the State of Oregon, where I was forcibly disassociated, and make a case for nullifying that action by aplying a California law on child molestation ... an action that also had strong participation by the Watchtower Society legal department. The story was vividly detailed in my exit series. Will you go off board, contact the legal counsel that told me I could not make a case, and set him straight? Will you show that attorney how wrong he is? Please, do this as I would love to sue the ass off of the Society. If after you have so instructed the attorney I have suggested, and you learn that you are full of it, will you humbly come back to this board and publicly apologize? You may answer by PM if you are interested in the challenge.”

1. Whether your case can be revisited by the courts is an entirely different legal question than whether there was or could have been an opportunity to challenge, in your case, any resistance from the WTS to hand over judicial committee documents pertaining to your case. Assuming Oregon’s penitential communication laws are identical/similar to California’s, this may not be sufficient to have your case reheard by the courts because of other legal reasons, such as legal jeopardy and/or legal prejudice.

2. I have not suggested applying a California ruling in Oregon. I have suggested that IF, in this case, Oregon has an evidence code similar to California in respect to penitential communication that prosecutors and/or plaintiffs have every reason to challenge any related resistance on the part of the WTS to hand over relevant judicial documents.

3. I do not know the evidence code of Oregon, so I have no opinion on whether it is similar to that of California in relation to penitential communications.

I am not inclined to read your long story.

Marvin Shilmer

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Some of the posts are getting long. I read much but not all of the back-and-forth. I chaired a JC in 2005, my last time. Here's some facts that were true up until 2006 (If they changed, it was since this summer). Elders still take and keep a set of notes. All notes are to be collected by the chairman and placed in the envelope with the summary of the events. If there was a DF, there is a form included, with one original sent to Brooklyn. If there is no DF, it's just the elder's notes and chairman's summary. If anyone threatens legal action or complicates things any way at all, the elders call Brooklyn for guidance. While this did not happen to me recently, I have heard that they still tell some Bodies to back off on cases where the person is not acting as an apostate, has no known contact with the congregation (family okay in a non-spiritual way, but not others in cong.).

Precedents are set by small events. A lawsuit in one JC may eventually cause WTS to change it's way of doing things. If you want to be a hard-ass, do what you want to them. It can help others, maybe yourself. If you just want peace, everyone understands that too.

• minimus
    minimus

Hillary, I choose not to allow you to bully me. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for your acerbity.Sometimes, I find you quite charming though. But lately, I see you as one who simply enjoys to antagonize. As far as the intellectuals on this board, I learn a lot from them, you included. But I find your constant harshness to be very unbecoming. you're better than that, I think. And if it makes you feel better about yourself to do this type of stuff, keep doing it. Not everyone is as dumb as you might think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit