Judicial Committee Preparation

by Marvin Shilmer 157 Replies latest jw friends

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

this is how i would prepare if they ever told me they wanted to put me in a room with three of their "elders"....

1. a clown nose (so they know i think theyre ridiculous)

2.a metal chastity belt (cuz i know those buggers are all trying to gang bang me)

3.three pistols hidden in strategic places (look to the reson for my last preparation)

4. a pitchfork (cuz theyll need it where im sending them)

5.devil horns and red contacts (i want them to know why theyre df'ing me)

i think thats about all id need

--the infamous one

• Amazing
    Amazing

In case Shilmer has not noticed, the WTS changed its JC note taking policy many years ago. The first was in the 1980s when we were limited to a 5-year holding time, or the local statute of limitations, whichever is shorter. The second was in the early 1990s, when we were instructed to keep not notes after an action was taken. The files were moved from the home of the Secretary to the Kingdom Hall. The only records allowed were to have a copy of the card sent to the Society stating the person's name and breif reason for the action taken. Some Elders who retain the files do not get the clue right away, but most do. In some cases, when correspondence with the Society was involved, then such material becomes vulnerable, especially in child abuse cases. But, if a JW sues outside the scope of child molestation, it may not be as easy to utilize California precedant as Shilmer insists on implying.

Please, for your sake, anyone considering any legal action, contact an attorney in your jurisdiction for proper advice. You may be surprised as what you find. I hope that you can press forward with a cause of action. When I tried it recently, by using the California case law, I was told that the action I sought would not go anywhere.

Jim Whitney

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

It is worth noting that this California case was a major win for anyone who has ever had a legal proceeding against the WTS, a congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses that involved an invocation of ecclesiastical privilege.

It is now precedential State case law that has been tested on appeal and upheld as valid. If the WTS were to appeal to the Federal courts they would lose on the identical basis on which they lost the appeal to the California higher court. As Marvin stated, they know this is very likely, otherwise they would appeal (as they have so often when they felt there was a potential to set legal precedent favorable to protection of their absurd policies/doctrines).

But when it comes to creating precedent in other states, appeal tested California State law can be used in many other states as heavily influential to the creation of precedent in another state. The more states that acquire such findings in case law, the greater weight on other states to adopt similar findings. As Marvin points out, it is in the best interests of State Legislatures to establish case law that protects constituents ... no active Jehovah's Witness is a constituent of any legislator, they don't vote.

In this ... there is power to compel law to move in our favor and against the interests of the Watchtower Society.

So, if someone (1) chooses to attend a Judicial Committee Meeting, and (2) wants advice on how to prepare for and carry out a role most likely to truly help their local elders and the rest of the congregants, Marvin Shilmer's advice is extremely good advice.

If not, by all means consider his advice as silly if you like. It is only silly from your personal perspective. I chose to DA (my personal circumstances were not at all conducive to a successful fade, and an immediate end to the senseless frustration was needed). I still don't find Marvin's advice silly, nor do I understand anyone being so devoid of empathy that they would find it silly. But, I suppose it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Jim,

I believe you are very deserving of respect. I believe the same of Marvin Shilmer. I do not think the two of you are treating each other as though either of you agree with my assessment of the other.

Jim: When I tried it recently, by using the California case law, I was told that the action I sought would not go anywhere.

Knowing neither the circumstances of your attempt nor the wording of the relevant statutes in your state, it is impossible to divine why the undisclosed "action [you] sought" went nowhere. However, I can easily imagine (since I am left no other choice) thousands of potential situations in which this case law would not apply as precedent, even in California.

I can also easily imagine that the method of its theoretical presentation would heavily impact its relevance to any particular invocation of ecclesiastical privilege. Take the wrong small step in wording while presenting the precedent and your theory falls apart. Not (by any stretch) an uncommon occurrence.

I can think of no situation in which someone could be held civilly or criminal liable for threatening to seek legal recourse for perceived civil or criminal wrongs done. Especially would someone not be held liable if they threatened such action prior to consulting an attorney. However, as you may be unaware, if an attorney has advised a person the person so advised sometimes become more liable.

Prior to actually filing any claim against anyone it is, of course, advisable to consult an attorney. Especially if there is a potential of WTS legal team involvement. But there is no need to consult an attorney before following Marvin's advice.

If you disagree, I invite you explain your viewpoint thoroughly in very small words so I will be sure to understand. Use a crayon, if you must, because I do not at all understand your objection to his advice.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Alas, Jim W! What is to be done with you?

The WTS is constantly tinkering with its judicial policies and procedures! So what? The constant and relevant point is what I have stipulated: across the United States branch the WTS has consistently instructed a uniform judicial procedure related to documentation, which is the point in relation to the WTS’ policy. This has not changed over the period in question, or in the period you cite.

As to the specifics you assert, you are wrong in stating that WTS policy was for the congregation to retain only a copy of “the card” sent to the WTS (i.e., the s-79b document). The WTS has instructed elders to retain a file containing 1) necessary notes and documents, 2) a summary of the judicial case, 3) the S-77 form (filled out of course), and when it was returned from the WTS 3) the S-79b card. These documents are held in the congregation file until some time (I forget off hand how many years) after a person is reinstated or until the individual’s death, except for cases of child abuse/molestation in which case the files are never to be discarded.

As for your conclusion about the potential vulnerability of judicial documents, the California court has already decided this for that jurisdiction. In cases where disfellowshipping occurs it applies because both stipulations cited by the court apply. That is, again, 1) the judicial committee is investigatory by its nature and 2) the WTS requirement for judicial committees to share its communications with the WTS. Furthermore, other states with similar laws of evidence related to penitential communication have similar black-letter law and therefore similar likelihood of WTS vulnerability.

As for what you say I “insist,” I have no idea what you speak of. I have recommended actions that neither bind nor hinder a person who chooses to follow them. I have nowhere insisted anything whatsoever about the results of following the recommendations I’ve set forth. The recommendations are as they have been explained, and none have been explained as to be insisted upon. Furthermore, unlike you, I have not insisted on points of law yet unsettled. Rather, I have commented about the nature of what the Napa Valley ruling presents in the way of WTS vulnerability. If there is vulnerability then it deserves exploitation when it comes to the WTS’ Star Chamber judicial proceedings.

Marvin Shilmer, who believes respect is either earned or lost with every sounding of the vocal cords

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Marvin, it has been stated or inferred a few times on this thread that your efforts
    at the outset are very much appreciated by many of us. You seem to be suggesting
    the laying of a foundation which may positively influence the way the current
    hearing proceeds or upon which subsequent action may be built.

Thank you for your time and effort on behalf of many with little or no experience
    in “the little back room.”

Regards,

Sam Beli

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Jim,

We go back a long time in this Board. I have seldom seen you so invested emotionally in issue and to be honest am a little puzzled at your stand on these issues.

From what I have read Marvin was merely suggesting that IF a person chooses to attend a Judicial Committee they should not aquiese their ethical, and in some regard their civil rights. It is true that the courts have been unable to act in the many law suits filed over the 'disfellowshipping' punishment, due to First Amendment protection and what the Law views as contractual obligations taken on when a person is baptized, but that does not mean that a person should aquiese while they are emotionally stomped. It also does not mean that repeated attempts at what has failed in the past legally has not weakened the WTS position, as Marvin has aptly illustrated.

As I have noted I know of may cases, and I am sure that you know of may too, when the WTS has instructed the elders to back away from the bad publicity that may follow the involvment of outside bodies of any sort on a judicial matter. Following the path that Marvin has suggested has in the past led to the avoidence of disfellowshipping, which means husbands and wives remain closer, grandchildren get to stay with their grandparents, people can stay in employment with JW's without recourse, etc. etc.

Marvin,

As to the specifics you assert, you are wrong in stating that WTS policy was for the congregation to retain only a copy of “the card” sent to the WTS (i.e., the s-79b document). The WTS has instructed elders to retain a file containing 1) necessary notes and documents, 2) a summary of the judicial case, 3) the S-77 form (filled out of course), and when it was returned from the WTS 3) the S-79b card. These documents are held in the congregation file until some time (I forget off hand how many years) after a person is reinstated or until the individual’s death, except for cases of child abuse/molestation in which case the files are never to be discarded.

Yes, that is exactly the case. The records are held for three years for a person reproved, and five years for a person disfellowshipped. Molesters as you note indefinately.

Now, kiss and make up or else we will sentence you to the DVD version of 'Minimus Asks'.

HS

Edited for appalling grammar.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

There is one other thought I have and I don't think it was addressed.

Correct me if it was, which I am sure will be done quickly.

It was mentioned that " I contacted an attorney and was told that, there was nothing that could be done and a waste of time" Or something close to that.

In a legal situation so newly brought out, one would have to contact several attorneys to find one who is truly up to date on current law and aware of the Calif. court cases.

Give this issue time and let the heavy hitters toy with it. A few months down the road I think some new and useful changes may be in order, as these issues produce fruit.

Outoftheorg

• Amazing
    Amazing

Marvin,

If they are now instructing notes be retained, then they are the fools. When they ended note retention in the early 1990s it was specifically to avoid legal wrangling. So, if now they have restored this, then they will get burned in cases of crimes, and possibly other civil litigation.

As for your conclusion about the potential vulnerability of judicial documents, the California court has already decided this for that jurisdiction.

I never argued against this, but instead stated that the ruling applies only in California, and only in child molestation and abuse cases, as I highlighted in red in the citation that you quoted.

In cases where disfellowshipping occurs it applies because both stipulations cited by the court apply. That is, again, 1) the judicial committee is investigatory by its nature and 2) the WTS requirement for judicial committees to share its communications with the WTS. Furthermore, other states with similar laws of evidence related to penitential communication have similar black-letter law and therefore similar likelihood of WTS vulnerability.

Then, if I apply your legal advice, I should be able to go back to the State of Oregon, where I was forcibly disassociated, and make a case for nullifying that action by aplying a California law on child molestation ... an action that also had strong participation by the Watchtower Society legal department. The story was vividly detailed in my exit series. Will you go off board, contact the legal counsel that told me I could not make a case, and set him straight? Will you show that attorney how wrong he is? Please, do this as I would love to sue the ass off of the Society. If after you have so instructed the attorney I have suggested, and you learn that you are full of it, will you humbly come back to this board and publicly apologize? You may answer by PM if you are interested in the challenge.

As for what you say I “insist,” I have no idea what you speak of.

You did not employ the word, "insist." Your repeated responses demonstrate a level of insistence on your position, just as my responses demonstrate a level of insistence on my position.

I have recommended actions that neither bind nor hinder a person who chooses to follow them. I have nowhere insisted anything whatsoever about the results of following the recommendations I’ve set forth. The recommendations are as they have been explained, and none have been explained as to be insisted upon.

No one suggested that your recommendations bind anyone. You are using a red herring argument in making such a claim. I have only argued against certain aspects of your recommendations as ineffective or cockeyed, such as calling the police or threatening to call the police in matters that do not involve crimes. I also question your implication that a person may have a legal case in such JW juducial matters unless a crime is involved. The only civil matter that has much standing is that if libel or slander. The Society long ago learned how to employ tactics to avoid this charge. This is not to say that some charges are not successful, as I am sure local Elders can and do muck things up ... but it is much more difficult these days to get by with such legal actions.

Furthermore, unlike you, I have not insisted on points of law yet unsettled. Rather, I have commented about the nature of what the Napa Valley ruling presents in the way of WTS vulnerability. If there is vulnerability then it deserves exploitation when it comes to the WTS’ Star Chamber judicial proceedings

I have not insisted on points of law unsettled. I have merely stated that the California case ruling only applies to California and may not work in cases outside the child molestation and abuse cases where it was used. There is nothing "unsettled" in what I presented. Your comment above "If there is vulnerability" is a greatly moderated departure from your intial recommendations. Yes, I agree that it deserves exploitation ... but no ex-JW on this board should walk away from these discussions thinking that this will be an easy application of case law. I have strongly recommended that ex-JWs or JWs talk to an attorney in their own jurisdiction to see what, if anything, can be done. My entire focus is to endorse lower expectations and caution, because I think JWs and ex-JWs have been way over-hyped as to the potential of what they can get done in the courts ... not just by your thread, but in other threads in the past.

The child molestation issue has taken seven years to get to where is it at now from the days I first introduced these issues, and almost seven years since Bill Bowen entered the scene. Yet, in spite of these very recent rulings, there is a ways to go in pre-trial actions before this matter makes it to trial in California. If an ex-JW decided to take a civil action using this California ruling in some way, in order to over-turn his/her disfellowshipping, it will be a long time and a lot of money down the road before they will see results.

Marvin Shilmer, who believes respect is either earned or lost with every sounding of the vocal cords

If you show respect, and terminate the condescension and disrespectful remarks then I will show you all the respect in the world. Fore example, references to your level of "education" and how I need to be "shown by drawing pictures with crayons" are not the remarks of the Marvin I thought I knew. Regarding the "vocal cords," I find that many posters imput emotions upon the written word that are often not present. Even HS, for all his normal objectivity, stated above that I was getting emotionally invested in this issue ... I am anything but emotional ... I am concerned about misleading people with recommendations that may not work. Again, some of your recommendations are fine IF that is what trips a person's trigger, to imtimidate Elders, take copious notes, and involve witnesses. Just some of your recommendations are not sound and suggest more hope than reality offers.

Jim Whitney
  • Amazing
    Amazing

Hi HS,

We go back a long time in this Board. I have seldom seen you so invested emotionally in issue and to be honest am a little puzzled at your stand on these issues.

I think it is unfair to say that I am, emotionally invested. I have responded strongly to Marvin because he has been rude and obnoxious in what he has written to me. What is fair is fair.

From what I have read Marvin was merely suggesting that IF a person chooses to attend a Judicial Committee they should not aquiese their ethical, and in some regard their civil rights. It is true that the courts have been unable to act in the many law suits filed over the 'disfellowshipping' punishment, due to First Amendment protection and what the Law views as contractual obligations taken on when a person is baptized, but that does not mean that a person should aquiese while they are emotionally stomped. It also does not mean that repeated attempts at what has failed in the past legally has not weakened the WTS position, as Marvin has aptly illustrated.

I am not arguing against any suggestion to choose to attend a JW meeting, though it is largely a waste of time. My argument is that civil rights are not involved. Calling the police is a pointless waste of time, and threats to call the police are likewise a waste of time ... unless a crime is involved. I also argued that the California case only covers matters of child molestation and abuse or perhaps other crimes. If I get into a snit with the Elders over some lesser issue, I will be hard pressed to use this case law, especially outside of California. That was, and continues to be my argument. Marvin went off defending other things, and Marvin continues to deliberately ignore my simple and basicv argument because he, like some others I know, are obsessed with being raight at any expense.

In this case, he is giving an impression to ex-JWs that they can willy-nilly take a California ruling and have a go with the Elders over any matter. They are going to find that this may not be as simple as Marvin makes it sound. Marvin has done anything but aptly illustrate how the WTS has been legally weakened in matters outside the child molestation issue ... which issue we are all well aware has been a serious blow to the Watchtower Society.

As I have noted I know of may cases, and I am sure that you know of may too, when the WTS has instructed the elders to back away from the bad publicity that may follow the involvment of outside bodies of any sort on a judicial matter. Following the path that Marvin has suggested has in the past led to the avoidence of disfellowshipping, which means husbands and wives remain closer, grandchildren get to stay with their grandparents, people can stay in employment with JW's without recourse, etc. etc.

If a person can accomplish getting the Elders to back off, this is fine. But threats of calling the police are not among them. I myself held the Elders and Society off for three years using some tactics such as threats of lawsuits and calling police. However, crimes were involved. Even then, the Society was able to prevail in forcibly disassociating me.

My very recent discussions with an attorney very experienced in JW matters of law in many states, resulted in my learning again for the 5th or 6th time that using such case law on matters outside child molestation may not be viable. I think that Marvin is misleading people with some, not all, but some of his recommendations. In this I stand by what I have stated.

Jim Wthiney

PS: I still owe you an e-mail on another topic, but I have just not gotten around to it yet. I wrote a very long version, but decided that about 80% of it needs to be cut out. And that is where it is at.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit