Judicial Committee Preparation

by Marvin Shilmer 157 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Jim,

Then, if I apply your legal advice, I should be able to go back to the State of Oregon, where I was forcibly disassociated, and make a case for nullifying that action by aplying a California law on child molestation ... an action that also had strong participation by the Watchtower Society legal department.

(1) The advice Marvin Shilmer gave was not in any way legal advice. You give yourself away as poorly knowledgable on the subject of what constitutes legal advice simply by saying so.

(2) Whether the advice he gave would be helpful to anyone who is not currently being invited to attend a Judicial Committee meeting is entirely subjective, and would be determined only by the person who read the thread. This advice was not given to help people pick fights with bodies of elders, congregations, or the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

If that is really what you thought, you give yourself away as lacking basic reading comprehension skills, because I can't think of many 8th graders who would have taken from the initial post any hint of ability to use these suggestions in a recursive sense. I hope that isn't really what you thought.

(3) If you present the California finding in a state that does not have similar laws, you may find yourself hard pressed to base the finding on meritorious grounds in the state where you are pressing your case.

(4) If you present the California finding as a finding narrowly applied to a child molestation case or even infer that its focus could be construed so narrowly you will without fail eliminate the possibility of applying it in any other context. Once again, your suggested method of presentation demonstrates you have an abundant lack of knowledge of case law and legal theory.

(5) The involvement of the legal department would not in any way invalidate the religion's authority to eject whomever it wishes on spiritual grounds. However, if you were pursuing a civil tort against the elders in your case, the WTS legal department, or the WTS itself for which the statute of limitations has not expired, the California case law could potentially (depending on the laws in Oregon {France?}) compel testimony/discovery relative to the tortuous claims which would otherwise remain concealed behind a veil of clerical "confidence".

(6) As in point #5, the California case law might be used to compel testimony which would otherwise be concealed if a prosecutor were pursuing convictions of criminal charges.

(7) In every case, if someone chooses to attend a Judicial Committee to which they have been currently invited (not picking fights with elders)—i.e. the only context within which the advice in the first post was given—and wants to know how to best protect their interests in the process, Marvin's advice is stellar on every point. Without exception.

In my estimation, you have made a royal ass of yourself by confusing his advice with being recommendations on how to best pick fights with the elders. From your description of your attempt to use the California law, it seems advice on how to best pick fights is what you wanted to hear. But that is not what Marvin offered, no matter how much you wish it had been. He never once indicated it could be used in the way you suggested.

In the one paragraph of yours I have here quoted, you demonstrated in many ways that you had not the first clue what Marvin's initial post was recommending and you have, as a result, greatly overreached the bounds of common sense in every response you've made on this thread thus far. Rein it in, get a grip, go back and read the first post for what it says and stop superimposing what you wish it said onto it.

When it comes to accepting challenges, I haven't seen anything posted by you so far that someone moderately versed in the issue under discussion would remotely consider a raised challenge. If you felt that the paragraph of yours that I quoted was clinching evidence of the uselessness of Marvin's advice you have a grossly underdeveloped imagination to accompany your lack of direct, first-hand knowledge.

Your situation is not even arguably a violation of a civil right, a Constitutional right, nor is it an example of criminal conduct. It also happened too long ago for this finding to be useful to you. In your situation, if you had followed Marvin's advice when it was all "going down" to begin with, you might have been able to take advantage of the finding now. But you can't get a "do over" and Marvin never hinted that you could.

His advice is for people currently facing situation similar to what you once faced (past tense). He never intended for you to apply it to your situation, and never suggested that it could be so applied.

AuldSoul

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

For Jim W, and whoever else cares to know,

Jim W writes that his attorney does not believe the Napa Valley ruling in relation to penitential communications has any impact on his case in the State of Oregon, USA.

A relatively quick comparison of California’s Evidence Code 1032 (re: penitential communication) with Oregon’s Evidence Rule 506 (re: penitential communication) reveals a relevant difference, which difference may have a dramatic affect on how meaningful the Napa Valley ruling could be in terms of demonstrating a vulnerability of WTS judicial committee documentation.

The California court decided that judicial committee documents were not protected under Code 1032 because 1) a judicial committees purpose is investigatory and 2) the judicial committee is required to communicate information of its hearing with the WTS. Code 1032 stipulates that protected penitential communication is communication made in confidence, in the presence of no third person so far as the penitent is aware; hence sharing its findings with the WTS disrupts the protected privilege of the Code. Additionally, Code 1032 offers no language suggesting protected status for investigations.

On the other hand, Oregon’s Rule 506 uses relevantly different language. Unlike California Code 1032, Oregon’s Rule 506 does not stipulate that the communication at issue is “in the presence of no third person so far as the penitent is aware.” Rather, Rule 506 defines the privileged communication as that “made privately and not intended for further disclosure except to other persons present in furtherance of the purpose of the communication.” This difference in language presents a wholly different set of legal arguments for the WTS to challenge requests in Oregon for turning over judicial committee documentation.

Additionally, unlike California’s Code 1032, arguably Oregon’s Rule 506 does address investigatory communications when it uses the broad language of “in furtherance of the purpose of the communication.” The WTS only has to argue, in this case, that investigation was a purpose of the communication, which would be true in relation to judicial committee documents.

From what I read in Oregon’s black-letter law (Rule 506, in this instance) the only argument to overcome the WTS successfully challenging a request to produce judicial committee documents in the state of Oregon would be to argue that Rule 506 explicitly says protected “confidential communication” is that which is “not intended for further disclosure except to other persons present.” Since the judicial committee discloses its findings to the WTS in cases where disfellowshipping occurs then arguably the communication of the judicial committee does not fit Rule 506’s definition of “confidential communication” and as a result is discoverable. However, as suggested previously in this post, this language is broader than that of Code 1032 of California, and it may well be that common law in Oregon has already settled this broader language of the Rule’s application in favor of the WTS’ policy or one similar to it. That is, common law in Oregon may have settled that under Rule 506 it is within the meaning of the language for “confidential communications” to be sent to and archived at a central location such as the WTS does. I do not have the time to research this aspect of Oregon’s common law in order to offer comment on it. However, common law is not the same as black-letter law. Courts cannot overturn black-letter law unless it is unconstitutional, but courts can overturn common law at its own discretion.

Marvin Shilmer

California Evidence Code 1032:
    As used in this article, "penitential communication" means a communication made in confidence, in the presence of no third person so far as the penitent is aware, to a member of the clergy who, in the course of the discipline or practice of the clergy member's church, denomination, or organization, is authorized or accustomed to hear those communications and, under the discipline or tenets of his or her church, denomination, or organization, has a duty to keep those communications secret.

Oregon Evidence Code 40.260 Rule 506. Member of clergy-penitent privilege:
    (1) As used in this section, unless the context requires otherwise:
    (a) “Confidential communication” means a communication made privately and not intended for further disclosure except to other persons present in furtherance of the purpose of the communication.
    (b) “Member of the clergy” means a minister of any church, religious denomination or organization or accredited Christian Science practitioner who in the course of the discipline or practice of that church, denomination or organization is authorized or accustomed to hearing confidential communications and, under the discipline or tenets of that church, denomination or organization, has a duty to keep such communications secret.
    (2) A member of the clergy may not be examined as to any confidential communication made to the member of the clergy in the member’s professional character unless consent to the disclosure of the confidential communication is given by the person who made the communication.
    (3) Even though the person who made the communication has given consent to the disclosure, a member of the clergy may not be examined as to any confidential communication made to the member in the member’s professional character if, under the discipline or tenets of the member’s church, denomination or organization, the member has an absolute duty to keep the communication confidential. [1981 c.892 §35; 1999 c.7 §1]

Napa Valley ruling on California Evidence Code 1032 in relation to WTS judicial committee documents (Charissa et al Vs Watchtower Bible and Tract Society):
    “{The WTS} objects to the production of a number of documents requested by plaintiff on the ground they are protected by the penitential communication privilege contained in Evidence Code section 1032. This court finds that the privilege does not apply to communications between the alleged abusers and the Judicial Committee. The evidence presented by both sides establishes that communications with the Judicial Committee do not fall within the scope of the privilege. First, it is clear that the Judicial Committee’s purpose is to investigate sins for which disfellowship is a potential penalty…. Second, the privilege does not apply because the Judicial Committee was under no obligation to keep the communications private. In fact, the evidence establishes that the Judicial Committee was required to communicate information it obtained regarding potential cases of child molestation to the Watchtower Society headquarters.”

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

minimus said:

I think most individuals would have a hard time affording the legal fees to oppose the WBTS.

While there is some truth to that statement, that is the attitude that has allowed big corporations to run over the little guy or the small town. I am not ready to join a lawsuit, but sometimes a lawyer will take the case for the publicity or for the winnings alone. Maybe a JW will be a lawyer and sue them. Maybe there will class-action suits that make the lawyers lots of money, but the JW's do it for peanuts (regardless of what they were promised).

Changes do come. I think they will come more and more as WTS is exposed and lawyers think they can win. Watch how many pedophile victims have lawyers now, starting in California and spreading. Eventually, we will hear of some more successful Defamation of Character cases from a JC, or from teens families that sue because the boy/girl committed suicide after a DF.

• minimus
    minimus

On The Way Out, If you know of or have heard of anyone that has threatened suit, succeeded in retaining a lawyer and won, please let me know how much it cost them to beat the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society......Marvin, just because you make a threat to the elders to let them know you won't roll over and die, to many, many elders, it means nothing. Giving JWs the impression that doing this and asking very thought provoking questions to the elders (the ones on your list) will not scare too many elders......HS, it seems to me that you are the whiner when someone disagrees with you. As an elder, you must've been one of the "approachable" ones. You take yourself way too seriously, and that shines through.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Outoftheborg,

Elders still take and keep a set of notes. All notes are to be collected by the chairman and placed in the envelope with the summary of the events. If there was a DF, there is a form included, with one original sent to Brooklyn. If there is no DF, it's just the elder's notes and chairman's summary.

This was the way it was always done. However, about 1990 we were instructed to limit note taking, and once action was taken, to remove notes, and simply leave a manila envelop with the name of the person on the outside, and the DF card stamped by the Society on the inside, along with the names of the origninal committee. Evidently, this change did not take root and the Society is back to its old way. As I stated to Marvin above, that makes them foolish, as these JC notes are vulnerable to Court seizure in cases of crimes. Its good for the public and the courts, so I hope that the Society continues to take notes and keep them in files.

Thanks for the updated information.

Jim Whitney

• Amazing
    Amazing

Auldsoul,

(1) The advice Marvin Shilmer gave was not in any way legal advice. You give yourself away as poorly knowledgable on the subject of what constitutes legal advice simply by saying so.

I was using a legel of subtle sarcasm. However, given that I have legal training, and work with the law and courts, I have a good measure of knowledge. I am not an attorney, though I am in university for the purpose of becoming one down the road. It is far easier to get into trouble for giving legal advice than most people realize. So, in this respect, you demonstrate that you are lacking some knowledge.

(2) Whether the advice he gave would be helpful to anyone who is not currently being invited to attend a Judicial Committee meeting is entirely subjective, and would be determined only by the person who read the thread. This advice was not given to help people pick fights with bodies of elders, congregations, or the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

What you say in the first sentence is correct. However, it was Marvin, and those who agree with him, who first employed the terms "intimidate the Elders" and "threaten the Elders" with calling the police and other legal actions. Therefore, one can conclude that this could lead to "picking fights" with the Elders or even the Society. Though, I did not say nor think about "picking fights" with Elders. I simply believe that calling the police on matters less than crimes is a pointless exercise in hot wind that impresses no one.

If that is really what you thought, you give yourself away as lacking basic reading comprehension skills, because I can't think of many 8th graders who would have taken from the initial post any hint of ability to use these suggestions in a recursive sense. I hope that isn't really what you thought.

I do not lack basic reading skills, and to suggest such demonstrates that you are lacking in comprehension of the written word and development of this dsicussion. You are not being honest with the string of threads that have evolved between myself and Marvin. We are having a disagreement, all of which was hinged on the one point that I first disagreed with his recommendation of calling the police (unless a crime were involved). I later disagreed with his implied application of California case law, all of which he has finally come around to what I was arguing for in the first place.

(3) If you present the California finding in a state that does not have similar laws, you may find yourself hard pressed to base the finding on meritorious grounds in the state where you are pressing your case.

My point with marvin is that initially he implied that the California has some broad application in his effort to refute my points. I am the one who said the case law was restricted to California and in particular in cases that involve child molestation. My point to Marvin was to force him to either accept the challenge, or admit that the case law is confined to California ... he finally admitted it is confined to California. That is where I left it yesterday. I employed a style of challenge that takes the point to its logical conclusion to expose the logical fallacy he was using. In so doing, I succeeded. Following the thread history reveals that is what took place.

(4) If you present the California finding as a finding narrowly applied to a child molestation case or even infer that its focus could be construed so narrowly you will without fail eliminate the possibility of applying it in any other context. Once again, your suggested method of presentation demonstrates you have an abundant lack of knowledge of case law and legal theory.

I stated early on that the finding could be broadened to other crimes, but that it takes court battles in that State's court, all of which do not guarantee that the employment of the finding will result in a favorable outcome. One could also try to cite the California finding in another State, but each State is not bound by anything done in California. So, it is a challenge. When you read various opinions of trial and appellate courts you get a flavor for how case citations get argued. Both judges and counsel for the opposition do exactly as I suggested, they argue a more narrow application. It takes a lot of argumentation to get them to broaden an application. So, to allege that I have an abundant lack of knowledge is silly on your part. I never claimed to be, nor do I now claim to be an attorney. I have simply been exposed enough to understand what I am talking about.

My focus however in discussing the California finding and case law was to debate Marvin's broad application. I have asked him if he is an attorney, or licensed to practed in any of the 50 Untied States ... to which he has yet to respond. If he is an attorney, then he should say so and give us all a brief legal education. Instead, he avoided that topic. My challenge is also not just about Oregon. I have had discussion with an attorney experienced in this issue regarding the California decision and whether it could be employed elsewhere, such as my case. I have asked marvin to go off board and talk to thsi attorney, to which he has yet to replay as well.

My question to you: Are you an attorney? Are you licensed to practice law in any jurisdiction in the UNited States, Canada, or the United Kingdom? I ask this because of the general similarity of legal theory and law structure of all three nations. You claim I lack abundant knowledge, then I want to know just where your knowledge resides.

(5) The involvement of the legal department would not in any way invalidate the religion's authority to eject whomever it wishes on spiritual grounds. However, if you were pursuing a civil tort against the elders in your case, the WTS legal department, or the WTS itself for which the statute of limitations has not expired, the California case law could potentially (depending on the laws in Oregon {France?}) compel testimony/discovery relative to the tortuous claims which would otherwise remain concealed behind a veil of clerical "confidence".

You now demonstrat a lack of knowledge. Of course anyone can cite a case, and seek to compel testimony on that basis. But you ignore what I earlier argued. The judge in hearing such a motion does not have to agree to grant it on the basis cited. Also, just because the WTS lost in one case in California does not mean that they will not fight the same elsewhere with their own set of motions, all of which take months and years to get through the system. It has been years since this set of cases were initiated in California, and yet the pre-trial work is still going on. I gave testimony in some of this almost three years ago.

My point with Marvin was not that the California finding could "never" be applied elsewhere or broadened beyond its initial scope, but that the time (and cost) are prohibitive in most cases, especially in cases that do not involve a crime such a molestation. I well understand that the California court ruled against the Society on the basis that its JC system is not like Catholic confession, and thus not protected in such matters from discovery, etc. I also made that point early on with Marvin. However, how does one then get it broadened in other types of cases? That is the difficult road that I was talking about with Marvin.

You mention tort against the Elders or the WTS. So, I challenge you as I have Marvin. Give an example of how this finding in California can be used in such torts against the Elders and/or the Society. You have already excluded tort on being DF'd on "spiritual" grounds. So what is left? Tort in cases of child molestation works, we know that very well. What else is there? Could it be slander or libel? The Society has already lost a number of cases on these grounds. I doubt one needs the California finding to support such a tort. Slander and libel have to be proven by what is said or written that causes harm to a person's name and reputation. Olin Moyle was able to make the case without the California finding as it it did not exist. One needs to prove a number of things, all of which fall outside the California finding. What else is left then tht one would sue the WTS, bringing a civil tort? I am truly curious since you seem to have a handle on the law ... let's hear it.

(6) As in point #5, the California case law might be used to compel testimony which would otherwise be concealed if a prosecutor were pursuing convictions of criminal charges.

That has likewise been my exact argument ... where a cime is involved. But, in most cases, crime is not involved. The child molestation cases are a unique and serious crime in dealing with the JWs, the Elders and the Society. What other crimes would be commonly dealt with among the JWs. Don't forget the context and history of this thread and my original critque that Marvin's recommendation to call the police was ill advised. I am the one who suggested that calling th police in cases of crime. It took Marvin two or three more postings to agree with me. But his initial recommendation made no such clarification.

(7) In every case, if someone chooses to attend a Judicial Committee to which they have been currently invited (not picking fights with elders)—i.e. the only context within which the advice in the first post was given—and wants to know how to best protect their interests in the process, Marvin's advice is stellar on every point. Without exception.

This gets back to the point, and that is Marvin's initial advice is wrong on his recommendation to call the police. Also, his advice creates intimidation and threatens, and he later stated that was his goal So, call it picking fights, or whatever, intimidating andf threatening at some point is picking a fight.

In my estimation, you have made a royal ass of yourself by confusing his advice with being recommendations on how to best pick fights with the elders. From your description of your attempt to use the California law, it seems advice on how to best pick fights is what you wanted to hear. But that is not what Marvin offered, no matter how much you wish it had been. He never once indicated it could be used in the way you suggested.

I confused nothing. I simply took whatr he said, as he said it. If you read his first post, it recommends actions such as calling the police without any further clarification. If you read my first response, I was not very critical, and simply challenged his advice on calling the police. All Marvin had to do was merely clarify his position ... but no, he chose to debate and broaden the discussion.

Now, you say I make an ass of myself ... really? Just because I discuss and debate Marvin on his less than stellar advice? You have rasied a red herring in claiming that I have confused his advice with picking fights. I did not such thing. Anyone on this board who has known me for any length of time knows that I of any one would bethe first to emply whatever tactic necessary that would help a person seek and obtain justice against the Watchtower and its Elders. I have myself called the police in dealing with the Elders in case you want to know. I did so in the case of a crime. But really, to call the police for any other reason, or to simply threaten as Marvin suggested, is ludicris.

In the one paragraph of yours I have here quoted, you demonstrated in many ways that you had not the first clue what Marvin's initial post was recommending and you have, as a result, greatly overreached the bounds of common sense in every response you've made on this thread thus far. Rein it in, get a grip, go back and read the first post for what it says and stop superimposing what you wish it said onto it.

I read the firts post, and the SUBSEQUENT posts by Marvin. IF YOU read my first response, it all could and should have died right there, with Marvin clarifying his position. You are deliberately ignoring Marvin's subsequent postings where he broadens his advice in ways that I did not expect or that was warranted. So, I respeonded accordingly.

When it comes to accepting challenges, I haven't seen anything posted by you so far that someone moderately versed in the issue under discussion would remotely consider a raised challenge. If you felt that the paragraph of yours that I quoted was clinching evidence of the uselessness of Marvin's advice you have a grossly underdeveloped imagination to accompany your lack of direct, first-hand knowledge.

The challenege is this: Talk to the attorney I did, who is experienced in this matter, and see if Marvin's advice holds up in utilizing the California finding. It is as simple as that, and should not be a big mystery. You simply keep repeating how I am not knowledgeable but you have failed to qualify yourself and your knowledge. Your repeated claims are just that ... releated saying what you thnk of me ... that is nothing but ad hominem attack in more eloquent fashion.

Your situation is not even arguably a violation of a civil right, a Constitutional right, nor is it an example of criminal conduct. It also happened too long ago for this finding to be useful to you. In your situation, if you had followed Marvin's advice when it was all "going down" to begin with, you might have been able to take advantage of the finding now. But you can't get a "do over" and Marvin never hinted that you could.

My argument with Marvin has been to question what civil rights are involved? Your subsequent comments are absurd, and Marvin's advice would have no relevancy. My point was not to suggest that anything now could be done ... but were it a current issue, just HOW his advice could possibly work. You are the one with a reading comprehension problem now if you are making such comments that I in anyway thought that my situation could be current or within some statute of limitations.

His advice is for people currently facing situation similar to what you once faced (past tense). He never intended for you to apply it to your situation, and never suggested that it could be so applied.

Now you are talking down to me ... and this is done when people have run out of arguments but are obsessed with proving themselves right. I know well that his advice is for current JWs facing problems with the Elders. My first and only real concern was his overly broad recommendation to call police.

Jim Whitney

• Amazing
    Amazing

Marvin,

Both you and Auldsoul seem to misundestand my challenge: I will restate the initiating paragrpah:

Then, if I apply your legal advice, I should be able to go back to the State of Oregon, where I was forcibly disassociated, and make a case for nullifying that action by aplying a California law on child molestation ... an action that also had strong participation by the Watchtower Society legal department.

I gave few details here ... and Auldsoul seem to not understand what was involved. I was making a hypothetical comparison, because the action by the organization is far too old to do anything now. You have cited Orgon Code in comparison to California and made some discussion. Though it is insufficient to argue what Oregon "may have settled" but rather one must know for certain what Oregon had ruled on before entering into court citing California code.

But, in this you make my point beautifully ... by showing that using the California ruling had complications in each state, and will require an entirely separate set of arguments, all of which could prove fruitless. This has been my point from the beginning, and goes to the point that when you intorduced this ruling in a broader sense, it could be misleading to those who may have considered action against the Elders. My point was to force this to the conclusion that you have now reached. That is why I initially strongly recommended that those considering action against the Society or Elders consult with an attorney in their jurisdiction for proper legal advice.

The story was vividly detailed in my exit series. Will you go off board, contact the legal counsel that told me I could not make a case, and set him straight? Will you show that attorney how wrong he is? Please, do this as I would love to sue the ass off of the Society. If after you have so instructed the attorney I have suggested, and you learn that you are full of it, will you humbly come back to this board and publicly apologize? You may answer by PM if you are interested in the challenge.

The balance of my challenge is stated above. I can add that part of my situation, if you read my story, involved reporting the crime of molestation to the County Sheriff. It was all involved in dealing with the Elders and ultimately led to me being DA'd. Also, slander was involved which likewise led to my being forcibly DA'd. Yes, I would love to sue the Society, and obtain records they hold on me. It appears from your little research effort that you now see the problem with your initital recommendation when you introduced the use of the Calfironia finding. Based on your indirect, but still an admission that I was correct, then I withdraw my challenge.

Thanks, Jim Whitney

• Forscher
    Forscher

Lets try to put this question as to the applicability of the case under question in perspective here.

What you are missing amazing is the nature of common law and stare decisis in american law. First let me say that I am not a lawyer but do have training in the law from both the legal and the social sciece perspectives. So while I cannot give legal advice, I think I can modestly address the issue.

First off let me point out that in the american legal system, the bulk of our law is based on the old English common law system. That is that our law rests firmly on case law more so than a formal law code (legal statutes, most of which are formally codified common law priciples anyway). That is why stare decisis, or case law often has greater weight than statute in the first place and may well be the origin for the "living Constitution" dogma in jurisprudence as well. Under common law, judicial principles are built up through an accumulation of decisions by judges on questions of law through time and court challenge and become firmly established as law only after a sufficient body of cases have built up which demonstrates a sort of consensus over time. The strength of such a system is that it is felxible and able to change to meet changed times and circumstances since yesterdays self-evident truth may well be tommorrows heresy. The weakenss of that system is that it is subject to political ideologies without the benefit of the consent of those governed by it.

So where does the foregoing apply to the question under consideration and where may you be going wrong? You argue too narrow an application for the precedent Jim. You see it as only applicable to California as to jurisdiction and child molestation cases as to scope. While you may be technically correct in what you say, you are ignoring the broader implications for the decision, which are what Schilmer is highlighting. Sure, it is now law in California specifically. However, its status in common law in that state now make it stare decisis, or case law, which can be appealed to and cited just about anywhere in the US, except maybe Lousianna which has Napoleanic law rather than common law as its basis, as a basis for breaching the wall of secrecy in the JC process. Sure, judges elswhere will have the right to decide for themselves whether they will accept it or not until other appelate decisions on the matter are registered, but the real importance here is that the California decision is a crack in the armor and has the potential to become firm principle across the nation in the future.

As to the scope of the decision, you state the limitations which one would have to state if they want to pass the state bar exam Jim. But like so many other things in life the stock answer for that does not reflect reality. You will learn when you come to practice law one day, and I wish you the best in that endeavor, that the scope can be applied mor broadly than you argue. In fact, we may well start to see that case cited as a precedent to breach clerical priviledge outside of the scope of child molestation cases in the not so ditant future. Again, as the scope is widened, judges wiil have the liberty to accept or not accept it, but some will, and appeals will be made to their decisions, and if those decisions hold up under appelate scrutiny, the the scope will be widened as a matter of course. That is how stare decisis works and american common law is built up.

I agree with the comment made by someone that the advise by Schilmer will only be effective in those areas where one might be able to intimidate a JC. One would have to weigh things carefully before throwing that particular roll of the dice. If one doesn't care whether they are intimidated or not and just wants to be confrontational (the old "damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead" attitude), then by all means do it, that way one goes out with a bang and if they choose to sue the elders then at least the elders can't say they weren't warned. I, personally, don't plan to give them the satisfaction of their delusions of power over me. But then, that is my personal choice if it comes down to that. Anyone who thinks they have a chance of not being DF'd would be wise not to follow Schilmer's advice if they think they have a chance at such a good outcome. Schilmer's advise is best for those who know they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of not being DF'd and just want give back to the elders as good as they get.

Respectfully

Forscher

• vitty
    vitty

Im sorry I havent trawled through all the pages but if I was threatened with being DFed and didnt want to be because of family or my reputation. I would threaten the elders that I would go to my local paper and give an interview on the life of a JW. I think they would back off if they thought you would go to the press . Just an idea.................and cheaper too.

Or is that too simple for a plan?

• Forscher
    Forscher

Naw Vitty

I like it!!

Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit