NOTIFY YOUR HOSPITAL & DOCTORS ABOUT JW SPYS

by MadApostate 61 Replies latest jw friends

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

I am sending this letter via email to both my local hospital and to several doctors (different version) who have occasion to treat my immediate family.

I thought that I would post such on the DB so that others here could also do the same. However, I would ask that you DO NOT completely duplicate the letter, in the event that the same hospital or same doctor receive this more than once, and discard it as a hoax. Please take the time to change some of the wording, and personalize it to your own circumstances.

I will post any received replies, and I ask that others please do the same.

Dear Sirs:

Both myself and other members of my family have been patients of your hospital at various times over the past 20+ years. Recently, a serious issue has come to my attention, which has caused me sufficient concern that I feel that it is appropriate to bring such issue to your attention.

This is a "confidentiality issue" which faces your facility, as well as all other health care organizations. This "confidentiality issue" is directly related to the religious affiliations of both some of your employees and some of your patients.

Both myself and the majority of my family are affiliated with the Watchtower Society, whose members are commonly known as Jehovah's Witnesses. As a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses community, two separate incidents of "breaches of professional confidentiality" have recently been discussed throughout the United States.

As I am sure that you are aware, Jehovah's Witnesses are forbidden to accept blood transfusions. Recently, a Jehovah's Witness conscientiously decided to accept a blood transfusion in order to save their life. This personal decision had to be kept secret, even from their other family members, otherwise the JW knew that they would be "disfellowshipped" (excommunicated) from the JW organization. However, after the JW was discharged from that hospital, photocopies of hospital documents (not identical to those given to the patient) "somehow" found their way into the hands of the local JW "Elders", who proceeded to "disfellowship" the JW who had accepted the blood transfusion.

The second incident of "breach of professional confidentiality" occurred when a Jehovah's Witness had a sexually transmitted disease treated by their medical doctor. Again, photocopied medical records found their way into the hands of the JW's local "Elders", who proceeded to question the JW regarding their sexual conduct. Evidently, the JW successfully sued the medical doctor after it was learned that one of the doctor's employees was also a Jehovah's Witness, and that employee had given copies of the patient's medical records to the local JW "Elders".

As a member of the local Jehovah's Witnesses community, I know that other Jehovah's Witnesses are employed by your hospital at any given time. I am greatly concerned that those JW employees might also access and distribute copies of my medical records, or those of my family. Just the possibility of such would probably make any of us think twice about secreting accepting a blood transfusion if we ever had the misfortune of needing such.

It bothers me greatly to have to disclose to non-JWs that the Watchtower Society actually teaches and encourages Jehovah's Witnesses to spy and report on each other. I fully expect that you will even find it difficult to believe me, or to take this as seriously as I have.

Therefore, I am including an excerpt from the main JW magazine, THE WATCHTOWER, which conclusively demonstrates that JWs are required to report confidential matters of fellow JWs to the local elders, in spite of their professional obligation of confidentiality to their clients or their employers. This WATCHTOWER article teaches JW professionals that their obligation to spy on and report their fellow JWs is higher than their professional obligation.

Here is the article excerpt: (Please read slowly and carefully, because the meaning is almost "hidden".)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE WATCHTOWER Magazine
    September 1, 1987 Issue
    Article: "A Time to Speak"-When?
    Excerpt from pages 14-15.

Thinking Ahead Employers have a right to expect that their Christian employees will 'exhibit good fidelity to the full,' including observing rules on confidentiality. (Titus 2:9, 10) If an oath is taken, it should not be taken lightly. An oath makes a promise more solemn and binding. (Psalm 24:4) And where the law reinforces a requirement on confidentiality, the matter becomes still more serious. Hence, before a Christian takes an oath or puts himself under a confidentiality restriction, whether in connection with employment or otherwise, it would be wise to determine to the extent possible what problems this may produce because of any conflict with Bible requirements. How will one handle matters if a brother or a sister becomes a client? Usually such jobs as working with doctors, hospitals, courts, and lawyers are the type of employment in which a problem could develop. We cannot ignore Caesar's law or the seriousness of an oath, but Jehovah's law is supreme. Anticipating the problem, some brothers who are lawyers, doctors, accountants, and so forth, have prepared guidelines in writing and have asked brothers who may consult them to read these over before revealing anything confidential. Thus an understanding is required in advance that if serious wrongdoing comes to light, the wrongdoer would be encouraged to go to the elders in his congregation about the matter. It would be understood that if he did not do so, the counselor would feel an obligation to go to the elders himself. There may be occasions when a faithful servant of God is motivated by his personal convictions, based on his knowledge of God's Word, to strain or even breach the requirements of confidentiality because of the superior demands of divine law. Courage and discretion would be needed. The objective would not be to spy on another's freedom but to help erring ones and to keep the Christian congregation clean. Minor transgressions due to sin should be overlooked. Here, "love covers a multitude of sins," and we should forgive "up to seventy-seven times." (Matthew 18:21, 22) This is the "time to keep quiet." But when there is an attempt to conceal major sins, this may be the "time to speak."

(End of excerpt)

-----------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------

I don't know what you can legally do to protect me and other JWs from your JW employees who might spy on us, but something obviously needs to be done to protect the confidentiality of our medical records.

Whatever you decide, I would ask that you reply to my email so that I can have some peace of mind. Frankly, I have not used my real name, but this email account is real. If the Watchtower Society were to learn of this email and my true identity, I would also be "disfellowshipped" for "disloyalty" for disclosing this information to you.

I anxiously await your reply!

Thank you.

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

This whole issue really bothers me. I am such a privacy nut, I wish there was a way for all records to be handled by number instead of name.

closer

Mean People Produce
    Little Mean People - bumpersticker

• metatron
    metatron

This is an excellent moment to bring up this issue.
    The eyes of the world will be increasingly focused on
    religious groups that have a cavalier attitude towards
    human rights and civil authority.

metatron

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello MadApostate,

excellent post, excellent informations.

Informations of this kind need to be given EXTENSIVE

and WIDE publicity, so that everyone will find out what

the WTS does behind people's back, ...and then DEMANDS

the protections of human and individual's rights!!!

Metatron: Excellent comments!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

MadApostate, having never thought about that issue before posting on this board 5 months ago, this is the one issue that makes me the most nervous.

Being inactive, I would hate for an "zealous" employee in this age of easy access to information to go to the elders to finally give them the "proof" they need to permanently seperate me from my family.

I like the idea of a letter and I think that I am going to discuss this with my lawyer.

closer, I would like to use your banner to put in my signature if that is alright with you?

Slipnslidemaster: "I don't know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    - Albert Einstein

• hippikon
    hippikon

Well Said - I'm taking a copy of this for future use if thats ok

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Slinslidemaster and Hippikon,

having seen your contribution to

this post,I do take this opportunity to send

you both, my greetings J.C.MacHislopp

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

SnSMaster:

I'm uncertain why you would need to discuss this with your attorney, unless there is something particular to your own personal needs that would necessitate sending such under your real signature. As indicated in the email version above, it is designed to be sent via an anonymous email account, and the subject of the email makes it obvious why the sender would not want to disclose their real identity.

Hospitals, doctors, and other professionals take "confidentiality" seriously, thus I would be surprised if a sender did not receive a serious reply.

Of course, there is no legal issue unless a JW professional or employee actually did breach a patient's confidentiality by an unauthorized release of records.

However, by putting professionals on notice that their JW employees always have the potential to place them at risk of a multi-million dollar lawsuit speaks for itself. Employers may start looking differently at whether such ones can be trusted in positions of confidence.

As such a letter would likely be circulated throughout the professional organization, the readers would soon realize what type of religious organization the WTS is, such that it teaches its members to violate established professional ethical conduct.

This very "confidentiality issue" also relates to the child abuse issue. At the same time the WTS teaches its members to violate their "worldly professional confidences" in order to "keep the congregation clean", the WTS stands solidly behind "clergy confidentiality", so that elders do not have to testify as to confidential matters disclosed in elder-member communications.

One more example of WTS hypocrisy!!!

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

SnSMaster:

After re-reading your post, it dawned on me that your reference to showing his to your attorney might have been because that your attorney is exposed to risk of unauthorized disclosure by a JW employee, just as any oher professional would be.

Which raises a very good point. This same email letter could be adapted and sent to various other professionals, such as accountants, tax preparers, and any other who handles sensitive confidential info. Think what could happen if an "unknown to be a JW" tax preparer handled a check evidencing a tax deductible contribution to a disaproved charitable organization, or even reviewed a person's credit card statement which had a payment to who knows what!!

Again, this is a legitimate issue, whose review by nonJWs raises eyebrows about many side issues.

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

slipnslidemaster - Sure!

closer

Mean People Produce
    Little Mean People - bumpersticker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit