I Said Goodbye

by Farkel 76 Replies latest jw friends

• msil
    msil

Dear Farkel,

I just got here and the first thing I saw was this thread and I just groaned and opened it up and there was your confirmation of my worst fears for you. All I can say is this:

Please be strong. Please cry a lot. Please recall every memory. Please wish for your dad every minute of the day. Please have NO regrets. Please think about what he wanted for you. Please fulfill all his desires he had of you. Please think about any dreams he never saw come true and make them come true through you. Please never forget him and always love him.

....and please remember we are all here for you.

• dmouse
    dmouse

My thoughts are with you too Farkel.
    My Dad died when he was 52. He was wonderful person, but you just don't ever tell your father you love him do you?
    Well, when I found out he was dying I told him.
    And that was a comfort in the years after.
    Nothing brings home your own mortality than the death of your own father. I remember thinking 'I have to put my own son through this pain and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.'
    You will never forget him, but the pain of loss will ease in time as you remember the good times.

Kind regards,
    Dean.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Farkel,
    You made me cry again. What can I do for you? Call if you want. I know there is some meaning to all this pain, but for now we will just cry together.
    Jst2laws

• Grunt
    Grunt

Dear Farkel,
    I am so sorry for your father's situation and for you and your mother's pain. I am glad that you were able to talk to him and to be honest with him, glad that you are aware of all he did for you and what a good man he had to have been to shoulder your mom's criticism and still be there for her with her problems when she needed him. That takes a lot of character. As I read some of the other posts on here my heart breaks for them and I think you were very fortunate. I also think you were a good son. If I were your dad, what you said would have been a great comfort to me. I'm sure it was to him. When you and I face our own departure, I hope our children can say that we taught them a lot, that in their eyes we are great men, and that they will always love us. I would say your dad is a roaring success and that his life counted and was a force for good. I hope that as your mom realizes just what she lost that her depression doesn't become unbearable. I know you will be there for her, just like he was. I wish you and your family all the best and will quote one of my favorite poems if you don't mind. It is by Tennyson and was about the death of a good friend.

Oh, yet we trust that somehow good
    Will be the final end of ill,
    To pangs of nature, sins of will,
    Defects of doubt, and taints of blood;
    That nothing walks with aimless feet;
    That not one life shall be destroy'd,
    Or cast as rubbish to the void,
    When God hath made the pile complete;

That not a worm is cloven in vain;
    That not a moth with vain desire
    Is shrivell'd in a fruitless fire,
    Or but subserves another's gain.

Behold, we know not anything;
    I can but trust that good shall fall
    At last--far off--at last, to all,
    And every winter change to spring.

So runs my dream: but what am I?
    An infant crying in the night:
    An infant crying for the light:
    And with no language but a cry.

Your friend,

• TheHighPriest
    TheHighPriest

My heart goes out to you and your mum, Farkel.

THP

• RipVanWinkle
    RipVanWinkle

Farkel,

I've followed your posts from the old H2O. Almost feel like I know you. So sorry about your dad. One eventuality befalls us all in the present. It's a time to reflect on our own lives. I felt that a reflection by Erma Bombeck was appropros:

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE TO LIVE OVER by Era Bombeck
    > I would have talked less and listened more.
    > I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained,or the sofa faded.
    > I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
    > I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about this youth.
    > I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

> I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
    > I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.
    > I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.

> I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
    > I Would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

> I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
    > Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

> When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "later. Now go get washed up for dinner."
    > There would have been more "I love you's". More "I'm sorry's"
    > ... but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it live it...and never give it back.
    > Stop sweating the small stuff. Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what.
    > Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.
    > Let's think about what God HAS blessed us with, And what we are doing each day to promote ourselves mentally, physically, emotionally, as well as spiritually.
    > Life is too short to let it pass you by. We only have one shot at this and then it's gone. I hope you all have a blessed day. .

Note: Era Bombeck needed an organ transplant, and even though she could have been moved to the head of the waiting list, due to her prominence and wealth, she refused to do such, and subsequently, died from organ failure.

My sympathy to you and yours.

RVW

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Amen, old friend, amen. May your father return to be with God in heaven. May you and your Mom find peace in this moment of sorrow.
    You have our love. We've been praying for you (and your family) in Sunday school.
    Rex

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Dear Farkel:

Even knowing this was imminent, it felt like a jolt of pain to actually read that hard cold reality had been confirmed.

Please may I add my gesture of support and empathy to the others who have already said so much, and you know that I will read anything you need to say, no matter how colorful or heartfelt it needs to be, and think that you rock.

Please take care,

Lauralisa

What would Brian Boitono do?

• circe
    circe

Farkel,

You have my deepest sympathies. If you come to Salt Lake for services and want a place to stay besides a hotel or with your mom, you are more than welcome to stay with David (felix) and I. We are currently in Midvale. I don't know if that's close to where you'd want to be.

I've always wondered what congregation your parents belonged to, but I've never asked. All the congregations that I've attended in Utah have been emotionally dead. The members, as a whole, could care less about the other members in the hall. I attended the Holladay, Sandy and Midvale/Murray congregations.

You have my (and David's) love and support.

circe

• somebody
    somebody

Farkel,

My thoughts are with you, your mom, and the rest of your family ,along with your dad's friends.

Please hold onto all your memories of your father and keep them in safe place within your big heart.

love to you and your family,
    somebody

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit