UNITED NATIONS , NGO's and WTBS

by MacHislopp 501 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• mommy
    mommy

O Man! This is

HUGE!!!

Thank you all for the effort and research you have done, it has made my life much easier. I was catching up on Kent's site today when I saw the news. My heartbeat raced, and my chin had to be lifted off the floor! I could not help but let it out today. I called my mom, and she sounded very irritated, asking where I saw the info. I told her the official site for the UN. She then in a clipped tone told me to email her the link and hung up.

NA na na nah I sent her the link and of course I recieved this reply:
    {clickable link}Click here: DPI/NGO Directory Wendy this is the list that the Watchtower Society is on...not a member of the UN. please respond=)
    My poor mom is not going to be smiling for long. Of course I did not say that they were members of the UN, I told her they are associated with them.

I had to respond with the following info, that I found at the link she sent. . http://www.un.org/MoreInfo/ngolink/brochure.htm
    I will see how she responds to that and will let you all know tomorrow. I also sent an email to the UN explaining briefly my association with the Wtbts, and included my name and number so if they needed to they could contact me. Tomorrow I plan on calling the boys in Brooklyn though...sorry I just gotta

this is from the link above:
    Please note: Association of NGOs with DPI does not constitute their incorporation into the United Nations system, nor does it entitle associated organizations or their staff to any kind of privileges, immunities or special status.~end quote

I feel that this will be a big tool that a Jw can use. But we all see what the requirements are and the very fact that they had to seek out a relationship with the UN in the first place!

Peace to all of you who have worked so hard on this. The kid in me is so very excited, but the adult is trying to tell me not to get my hopes up. Perhaps after some sleep and some more answers
    wendy

In a controversy the instant we feel anger, we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

• anglise
    anglise

In posting all this info to the UN has anybody actually stated just what a WT or book study article means to a JW.

To anyone looking it is just something that is printed.
    To the JW it is to be obeyed without question.
    The information in such articles has been read at least 3 times by each person (when you first get the publication, then as pre-study, then at cong meeting)
    and then again main points read out during the question time and verbally underlined.

So each point is fully pushed into the mind of a JW.

I hope this makes sense.

Probably others can put this point across better than me.

• Andrew Farrell
    Andrew Farrell

What happened to that fabulous post, just before the board went down, about how the UN had funed the WT in India?

- Andy

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.hvk.org/articles/0699/50.html

The other such organisations included in the list are: the TamilNadu-based World Vision of India (Rs 35,15,39000), the Missionaries ofCharity of West Bengal (Rs 17,28,45000), the Watch Tower Bible TractSociety of India of Maharashtra (Rs 14,60,90000) and the Kerala-basedGospel for Asia (Rs 14,44,26000).

is this the link you mean?
    nelly

• fodeja
    fodeja

I'm probably the 23984th person to point this out, but if you take a look on the main page, there's a link to an article in Britain's Guardian newspaper:

Jehovah's Witnesses link to UN queried

Sect accused of hypocrisy over association with organisation it has demonised. ...

The United Nations is being asked to investigate why it has granted associate status to the Jehovah's Witnesses, the fundamentalist US-based Christian sect, which regards it as the scarlet beast predicted in the Book of Revelation.

Disaffected members of the 6m-strong group, which has 130,000 followers in the UK, have accused the Witnesses' elderly governing body of hypocrisy in secretly accepting links with an organisation that they continue to denounce in apocalyptic terms.

The UN itself admitted yesterday that it was surprised that the sect, whose formal name is the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, had been accepted on its list of non-governmental organisations for the last 10 years. ...

(The Guardian, http://www.guardian.co.uk, 2001-10-08)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0%2c3604%2c565005%2c00.html

f.

p.s.: Thanks for the hint, Jan - link should work now.

• JanH
    JanH

Thanks.

Try this link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0%2c3604%2c565005%2c00.html

If you replace the comma [,] with "%2c" (no quotes), you can hopefully fool the parser on this board.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Whoever has the ties in Britain to the Guardian newspaper, good work. It seems they reply to the media when they are forced to before they will respond to the queries of their own members.

Unfortunately their replies to the media are just as vague and ambiguous as they are to their members. Interestingly, they never denied being associated with the UN. Just one more case where past comments are coming back to haunt them. Damn paper trails...

Too bad for them. This is one issue where they have written much in graphic prophetic language over an extended period of time. It will be very difficult for them to wiggle out of this one.

"Well, what we really meant when we said you were the Beast upon whom the great harlot sits, that will be eventually cast in the lake of fire was..."

"Even though we once called u the 'disgusting thing', when we signed up as an NGO we changed our interpretation of that to something else."

Path

• blondie
    blondie

In the minds of the WTS this is true:

"Anglise: To anyone looking it is just something that is printed.
    To the JW it is to be obeyed without question.
    The information in such articles has been read at least 3 times by each person (when you first get the publication, then as pre-study, then at cong meeting)
    and then again main points read out during the question time and verbally underlined.

So each point is fully pushed into the mind of a JW."

In reality:

1. The WTS has started spoonfeeding magazine presentations in the KM since September because the R&F don't read their magazines enough even to develop a presentation.

2. Every study article and SM part seems to hammer on the need to pre-study, preparation, preparation, preparation. It's not enough to be at the meetings but prepared to give an answer. (Even the elders are being hammered to improve their own personal study)

3. About 25 years ago the paragraphs were read last after answers were given at the WTS. That was changed to the paragraphs being read first because people did not pre-study their WTs. Even now when the conductor asks the question, you can bet only the same handful of people will have their hands up.

So assuming people are "at the meetings" and "not sleeping," this information may penetrate their brain only a little. About 10 years ago the WTS had a study article about permafrost of the brain and how the R&F were not studying deeply enough.

People's study habits in general are deteriorating. Tutoring over the years has given me a good perspective of this. Schools are not as demanding, teachers teach more to a test than the body of information or encouraging critical thinking. Am I surprised that JWs are following the trend? No. But as self-declared Bible teachers of the only truth, shouldn't they savor Bible study more? (Just rhetorical)

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Thank goodness I checked here before typing the bloody Guardian article up!!

I'm back in England for a few days cramming for an exam, and I just was leafing through the Guardian having lunch when I saw the article.

It was like, go directly to Internet cafe, but before bashing it in I checked here and the Guardian website.

I will see if I can bring this up with my Dad, who's a well-known London elder and HLC member, and see what HIS reaction is - I was waiting for a time to bring it up, and a National newspaper article seems ideal.

I just hope that this doesn't all fizzle out, that active Dubs are actually given pause by it...

• blondie
    blondie

Emperor's New Clothes

(a story from Denmark)

The emperor walked beneath the beautiful canopy in the procession, and all the people in the street and in their windows said, "Goodness, the emperor's new clothes are incomparable! What a beautiful train on his jacket. What a perfect fit!" No one wanted it to be noticed that he could see nothing, for then it would be said that he was unfit for his position or that he was stupid. None of the emperor's clothes had ever before received such praise.

"But he doesn't have anything on!" said a small child.

"Good Lord, let us hear the voice of an innocent child!" said the father, and whispered to another what the child had said.

"A small child said that he doesn't have anything on!"

Finally everyone was saying, "He doesn't have anything on!"

The emperor shuddered, for he knew that they were right, but he thought, "The procession must go on!" He carried himself even more proudly, and the chamberlains walked along behind carrying the train that wasn't there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit