JW Child Abuse: An Insider's Insight

by silentlambs 77 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• waiting1
    waiting1

Hello BlueSaphire,

People like my sister and my in-laws wont even watch the Dateline show or read Time or Newsweek if it's negative toward their beloved GB. So how is this going to affect the majority of the R&F?
    If jw's don't watch the show, it probably won't affect them immediately - the same thing if jw's watch, and then do the famous "click off" of mental reasoning Wait on Jehovah.

However, many people are interested in child abuse - they have to work with the problem. Parents, teachers, medical professionals, police, government workers, mental health professionals, coaches, religious teachers, etc.

Some people are curious about the secretive JW group also, they may work, go to school, live near one. Besides, there's only a select group of people who even watch news shows....

I think those are the people who will impact the average jw who won't watch that show. Example: JW placing WT/Awake! and recipiant asks: "Did you watch that show? No? Why not? You mean you won't watch a news show that definitely impacts the group you spend your life with? You think their ALL lying? You really think that Satan is behind that show? Don't you think Satan is behind child molesters? Well, the child molesters are IN your church, and you don't want to know so you can protect your children?

Imho, I think there will be more of a backlash effect on jw's than an immediate. I don't think my family will watch either. They wouldn't read the articles on child molestation in Paducah Sun - put there by apostates. My elder b-i-l told us this because all apostates are liars and they can get anybody to lie about jw's - because jw's are always persecuted for being the only ones to have The Truth.

Round n' round.

waiting

• Jeremy Bravo
    Jeremy Bravo

All I know is that the show will be taped and I'm gonna make sure my girlfriend watches it. She'll probably boot my ass out right away, but she'll never see it any other way.

Jer.

• Maximus
    Maximus

AlanF has calculated the rate of growth of the rate of growth of the organization. I don't want to get off on a tangent, but that's a very chilling fact that cannot be ignored. They are in trouble to begin with.

Balance that, however, with the enormous amount of property owned by the Society all over the globe and its sheer organizational mass.

When I say the Society will not fold up its tents, I mean just that. That's not pessimism, it's reality. So what if the average dub is not affected by Dateline? Wait till they have a tough time going from door to door because of the pedophile issue, changed policy or not. Wait till they understand what enforced shunning is. What's going to happen to the Society's market?

Wait till lawsuits keep bleeding the organization and more money is needed.

Already countless traveling overseers and elders who "know" have been deeply affected of late. They KNOW the KM article on cutting back job activity is pure nonsense. They KNOW something is drastically wrong.

I'll just stop there.

What I'm saying is, don't let black-and-white thought processes continue to drive the conclusion. It's not just about a TV program or about lawsuits.

Max

• Jeremy Bravo
    Jeremy Bravo

Max,

Good post, but I'm having trouble reading between the lines. Correct me if I'm wrong, but here is what I'm reading:

1) The Dateline show will not DIRECTLY create a mass exodus of JW's from the Org that we all would love to see. The WTS has too many assets and too much control over their adherents to allow that to happen.

2) What it WILL do is create TERRIBLE public relations, and a shrinking of the target market for their "disciple making." (which according to AlanF's number is already happening). Shrinking numbers (especially in industrialized countries) coupled with lawsuits will require some belt-tightening in Brooklyn.

3) The society will then begin to apply pressure on the CO's, elders, etc to in turn pressure the rank and file to "get out more and spend less time working and more time preaching." CO's and elders
    who understand the silliness of the KM you speak of will be (or are already) quite disheartened by these developments.

4) Very many of these CO's, elders, etc who HAVE their consciences on alert will begin leaving the Org in light of the stress placed on them due to the society's legalistic stances on blood and pedophilia. The problem is, these are the kinds of guys you WANT shepherding your flock.

This is where the snowballing gets nasty

5) The exodus of QUALITY personnel can only mean that they are replaced by less quality personnel; the guys who are not on your Short List to shepherd the flock.

6) This is when your Rank and file JW's will be affected. They will at this point be shepherded (read: LORDED) by men who are not qualified to do so. These men may or may not be "society men", but the average JW's view of the ORG will change if they are in this situation. Here is where the REAL RESULTS of the Dateline show will be seen.

This is me NOT using my "black-and-white thought processes to continue to drive the conclusion." I hope it measures up to what you are trying to say.

Please correct me if I'm wrong,
    Jer.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

To Maximus and others:

I know it's been awhile, but remember my parents saying that Satan turns himself into an "Angel Of Light" to lure the faithful out of worshiping Jehovah. Is there a possibility that the Society will try to make Barbara look like that? I don't know her, but I do know that the WTS will do almost anything to make themselves look innocent. Will she eventually be their scapegoat? I'm just trying to imagine the picture that the R & F will be given by the GB.

Andi

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Billy!
    Seems to me you're spot on here.
    They're going to HAVE to discredit her in someway,at least to the r/f.
    While to the 'world'(read,normal honest-hearted people) it will be seen as the brave,courageous and right thing to do,I think she will get slapped with some negative label(JW buzzword). because we know what they really feel about women and their place in the org.
    I'm sure some type of character assasination will occur. Even if only by the rumor mill. luv ya,T

• conflicted
    conflicted

Just moving this back to the top. It's too important to let go just yet.

I am speechless. I never even heard about this problem until I started reading posts here. Incredible.

Fortunately I never had any experiences of this sort, and I feel terrible for those who have.

I doubt that there will be one great incident to bring the downfall of the society, they are just to large and their greatest weapon is the mind control they have over their members. I agree with Jeremy, there will be a snowball effect, and when it reaches the individual congregation level it will be too big to ignore.

Their long term success is dependent upon a great influx of new members. This isn't going to happen with a child molestation scandal being released by the media. New bible studies are going to question JW policies more closely, current witness families who have battled this problem locally will see that it isn't a single incedent, but a major flaw within the entire organization - "God's organization". An organization run by men, but directed by God? Permitting a safe haven for pedophiles, even letting suspects of these crimes continue to worship in good standing and keep positions of power while the victim is further persecuted by forced silence or disbelief by those who should protect them. I doubt any God would permit this, even the vengeful, bloodthirsty God of the Old Testiment would strike down those who dared molest His congregation.

The guidlines for handling incidents of this nature are published and distributed by the organization. And therein lies their downfall. The elders (who are NOT blameless by any means), are following directions coming straight from the belly of the beast.

They can change all the policies they want, anyone with children of their own would do well to stay as far away as possible from this snakes den of child predation.

The org. can try to place themselves in a good light - "We are innocent, we knew not what was occuring in our very midst." But they literally wrote the book on how these events are to be taken care of.

The Big Bad Wolf is running scared now, for it is time for his house to be blown down. Woe be to those in partnership with the beast when judgement day comes.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I guess the reason I made the above comment is because NOBODY has anything bad to say about Barbara. Which I look at as a great testimony to her character! But I'm sure that her fortitude, her meekness, her role as "supportive wife" and loyalty, and compassion will be turned against her. The world that watches Dateline will see what everyone HERE has been saying. That Barbara's goal is to protect the innocent victims. But any R & F that sneaks in the Dateline will probably be given a totally different story about her at the Kingdom Halls. That she is Satan as the "Angel of Light".

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I'm expecting a character assasination by the WTS. Do you think Barbara is? Is she truly prepared for this airing? Like I said, I don't know her. Never spoken to her.

Andi

• Tina
    Tina

Hi again Billy,
    Well I agree. She sounds and I'm sure is a wonderful individual from what I've read here.
    I'm keeping in mind past history tho. The rumors that went around about R Franz. What they tried to do to Bill Bowen(filming his parents) etc. And being that most of the r/f don't know her,it'll be easy for them to view her anyway they(wts) choose to label her.
    I'm sure someone in the position she was in and her length of time in the org. will expect the same reaction from the WTS. Of course they won't DF,that's bad publicity for them. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Considering all the lives that have been sacrificed to the insane medical/blood policies,child abuse, political card fiascos,what's one woman's reputation to them? Tina

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Tina,

You're so right. What is one woman's reputation to them? So sad. I guess that's why I'm concerned about Barbara herself. Is she really ready for this? I'm sure she's smart enough to realize they'll stab her in the back as quickly as they can.

I really think that the WTS had no idea how the media and the internet could be one of their greatest enemies!

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit