I was looking for something else and came across this old radio information pertaining to Jws.
WPOW - 1330 AM, New York
Jehovah's Witnesses was one of the first religious organizations to enter the broadcasting field.
In 1923, the International Bible Students' Association (as it was then called - the name 'Jehovah's Witnesses' waa adopted in 1931) bought the equipment of radio station WDT (see Page 1) at Stapleton, Staten Island, which the Ship Owners Radio Service was shutting down.
A year later, on February 24, 1924, Judge Franklin Rutherford, successor to the sect's founder, Charles Taze Russell, dedicated the new station, called WBBR, at Rossville in southwestern Staten Island.
Facilities and accomodations for the staff were in the 2½ story "Big House" at 111 Woodrow Rd.
WBBR's programming schedule included programs in several languages, including Yiddish and Arabic.
Judge Rutherford later expanded the radio operations into ownership of at least 7 stations in the United States and Canada, including outlets in the Chicago, Toronto, and Oakland areas.
On August 5, 1928, Rutherford broadcast on a chain of 96 stations, the largest radio network organized till that time.
Later, broadcasts were beamed via shortwave to over 400 stations worldwide, sometimes originating from WBBR's studios.
In the New York area, the Witnesses also bought time on WBNX (see Page 5), WOV (see above), WGBB, WFAS and WNEW (see Page 3).
But, Rutherford's attacks on other religions led many stations to drop his programs, sometimes cutting him off before he was finished.
WBBR started off on a frequency of 1230 AM in 1924, then moved to 1100 later that year.
In 1925, the station moved to 720 AM, unauthorized.
In 1927, WBBR moved again to 1170, and in 1928 to 1300 - in both instances, sharing time with other stations.
In 1931, the main studios were moved from Rossville to the sect's headquarters at 124 Columbia Heights in Brooklyn Heights, which also served as a residence for church workers.
In 1941, WBBR's license was transferred to the Watchtower Bible And Tract Society, the religion's publishing arm, and in March of that year, WBBR (and its share-time partners) moved to 1330 AM.
Judge Rutherford died in 1942 and was buried at Rossville in a Methodist cemetary within sight of the WBBR towers.
A fire at the Rossville transmitter in February 1945 put the station off the air briefly.
In 1946, WBBR erected a 411-foot, three-tower array at Rossville and two years later, the power was increased to 5000 watts.
A new structure housed the transmission equipment.
For all its days on the air, WBBR was powered by its own electrical generator.
In 1957, choosing to emphasize its publishing activity and stating that WBBR "no longer served the interests of the Kingdom," the Watchtower Bible And Tract Society sold its station to H. Scott Killgore's Tele-Broadcasters Of New York Inc. for $133,000.