Tarot Cards

by free2beme 43 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar
    Funny how many "Mystery Schools" are represented amongst exJWs.

And that, as they say, is another topic for another day

Hmm... I suspect it's because exJWs tend to retain at least some obsession with religion and spirituality, even if it becomes an opposition to them.

• daystar
    daystar
    so I'm off to book a tarot reading tomorrow.

Be wary of charlatans. My personal opinion is that readings you pay for are mostly worthless. The ones any other person would do for you is better. But the best ones are done on your own.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I would likewise add a note of caution.

Better to do some background reading on the subject, first, rather than expect a full-on prediction of your future from a complete stranger.

Some people have derailed their own lives by misunderstanding a "reading" and it's "potential" consequences. 'Tis a two-edged sword, the mind.

That having been said, "know thyself" and "fear only fear itself".

• Mary
    Mary

I probably wouldn't do it because I don't believe a deck of cards can possibly know me or see my future, anymore than looking at some ground up tea leaves in a cup can.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I've experimented with Tarot, and own several decks, although I don't use them often. I don't believe in 'destiny', in the sense that anyone has a predetermined future. Rather, our futures are determined largely by the choices we make (with genetic, cultural, and environmental factors also contributing). So, I think the cards can be helpful in showing the eventual outcome of whatever particular path or course an individual may be on at the moment. If one doesn't like the probably outcome, they can 'step off that path' by making different choices. So, to answer the question in the first post, sure, I would accept the offer of a reading.

• thinker
    thinker

Has anyone else noticed all the biblical symbolism on a deck of tarot cards? The major arcana in particular has a number of them, for example the hanged man is probably Peter who was crucified upside-down. And the High Priestess is clearly sitting in Solomon's Temple.

Personally, I really enjoy the picture of The Tower on the Waite deck. There's just something very satisfying about lightning striking a watchtower, knocking off it's crown and setting it ablaze. Perhaps that why JWs are warned away from tarot?

thinker

• daystar
    daystar

There are many, many theories about the origin of the tarot deck. I really don't care much about that, since it's really irrelevant. What is relevant is that they are useful to me.

Some tarot decks have "biblical" symbols, some don't. I resist describing them as biblical as I suspect that rather than the tarot taking symbols from the bible, that they both were influenced by another source. I have no hard evidence of this, it's just an instinct.

Another theory... many of the current tarot decks were influenced by the Golden Dawn in some fashion directly or indirectly, whose membership were primarily Freemasons, who use much biblical symbolism in their rites and rituals.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Oh, come come, now. Tarot is clearly interwoven with Kabbalah and Jewish/Christian Mysticism. Those themes come through clearly, even in the numbering of the cards.

Unless you're suggesting that the Bible has "Divine" origins

• daystar
    daystar
    Oh, come come, now. Tarot is clearly interwoven with Kabbalah and Jewish/Christian Mysticism. Those themes come through clearly, even in the numbering of the cards.

Yeah, try telling that to some neo-pagans. The last time I tried to convince one of that, based upon the Tree of Life and the Hebrew alphabet, I was scathingly accused of being an "Xtian" in disguise. Oh the horror!

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

I had several readings done by so-called psychics, and they weren't too accurate. I bought a Rider-Waite deck and read for myself. I can't read for anyone else. When I ask a question, like, will I get the job, I get specific answers and the cards are never wrong! They're amazing!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit