For DEFD, discussing my "bad" avatar

by wanderlustguy 35 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

OK, DEFD brings up a point that has been mentioned to me for a second time now, so I ask the question, should I change my avatar?

When I first came here, and figured out how much I was really lied to, it was as simple as a guy flipping off the Society.

To those who don't know, it is Johnny Cash. The picture was taken at Folsom Prison as he did a concert for the inmates, and he shot the bird to the guards there. That act of defiance earned him respect many times over because he had the nerve to do and say what others thought, but were afraid to take action on.

So to me it reminds me now that we have to make a stand for what we believe in, even if we find out later we are wrong, rather than shrink back and accept whatever we are told to accept. A man (or woman) who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

So at the end of the day, is it offensive? Should I change it?

WLG

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

No, leave it. I think its cool. Johnny Cash is a legend.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Uh. Yeah, WLG, I'm shocked .

Wouldn't JWs consider you weak? Didn't Paul say the strong out to bear the weaknesses of those not strong?

OldSoul

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

NO! i think your avatar is great. i love johnny cash. he's one of the greatest icons in country and rock music.

I think you avatar speaks for all of us.

luv, jojo

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

NO!!! Dont you dare! Dont let wimpy-ass defd dictate to you what your avatar should be. Like anyone should care what he says.

I vote keep it!!

Josie

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I vote to keep it too, you aren't a JW anymore, right? So you don't have to tow that line.

Sherry

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I've had several avatars since I joined this board. It always reflected the mood of whatever phase of my recovery I was experiencing. If you feel your avatar still reflects what you're feeling, then why take it down? Don't let what defd or anyone else says influence you needlessly. But I will say it does seem that lately you've grown a lot and that anger isn't the most prevalent expression of your life anymore. Maybe it is time for a more peaceful avatar, just to reflect where you are now. Just a thought...

• defd
    defd

NO!!! Dont you dare! Dont let wimpy-ass defd dictate to you what your avatar should be. ; Like anyone should care what he says.

I vote keep it!!

Didnt you say that once you left the JWS you are now a GOOD CHRITIAN? If he wants to save some of his brothers and be a force for GOOD as he stated, my suggestion was to adios the avatar thats all. It would only make sense.

• Legolas
    Legolas

KEEP IT!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I agree with Billy. Change your avatar when you feel the need and want to. If it reflects the way you feel now then it's all good. And if Derrick is the only one who has said anything about it take it like this, with a grain of salt.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit