What silly rules did your congregation make up?

by weinermcgee 97 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The one that always gets me in trouble: No showing of the bra straps!

There's an easy solution for that. Don't wear a bra.

W

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

YOU NAUGHTY NAUGHTY BOY

HMMM...BUT I LIKE IT.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    this isn't really a rule but can you believe our CO used to have a printout of his fave dishes and list of things he didn't like and it was actually posted on the bullitin board for when he came and ate at peoples houses for dinner? And i am not confusing this with things he was allergic to or for health related reasons.

We had a CO that did the exact same thing. I thought that was very pretentious.

1. No moustaches.
        2. No baby showers.
        3. "Personal" bridal showers were banned after 2 sisters™ had sex after one. Those HOT teddies will do it every time.

Wow. Our congregation violated all those rules! All the elders had moustaches and there was a baby shower just about every weekend! And about #3........the 2 sisters had sex with each other??

No open toed shoes.

No more than one piercing in each ear (lobe) for sisters

No jean skirts

No slits on skirts past the knee

No cleavage (sisters had to have another sister look down from a chair to see and the sister had to bend over to see if cleavage was visible)

No T-shirts with pictures or writing on brothers working a quick builds or at conventions/assemblies.

No more than one ring on each hand, on the ring finger.

Brothers could not wear necklaces or bracelets.

Those were our rules too but I didn't pay mind to any of them. I wore jean skirts and sandals all the time. And I had a 2nd ear piercing! And I made sure that I showed lots of cleavage!

Here is a very silly rule that a perverted elder in my congregation strictly enforced: (had nothing to do with the plumbing in the hall!)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/76306/1232679/post.ashx#1232679

1. xjwms
        xjwms

Daystar

You are very correct about the "Us and Them" attitude.

I was there, .. and I lived it. My Gawd, .. I think about now....I believed this was a spiritual way of life.

So glad to be away from all of that.

2. alamb
        alamb

No yard sales or thrift stores because you'd pick up a demonized item unknowingly. There was a story about a brother who bought a trenchcoat at a yardsale, found out it was demonized when it tried to throw him off a porch while he was in field service. Of course they tried to burn it and it wouldn't burn because of the demons.

That all changed when we got a CO who actually stopped his field service for a yard sale on the block we were working. The car group flocked to the yardsale like someone just opened a buffet and they had been starved. I wonder now what the homeowner thought.

3. Finally-Free
        Finally-Free
        Wow. Our congregation violated all those rules! All the elders had moustaches and there was a baby shower just about every weekend! And about #3........the 2 sisters had sex with each other??

All the elders in my neighbouring hall had moustaches, and I mentioned that once when I was being counselled for having one. The elder's reply was, "Yes, but no elders in this congregation have one." This irritated me so I decided to grow it right down to my chin.

Yes, the 2 sisters had sex with each other. They weren't even df'd, just privately reproved, even though most of the congregation was aware of it.

W

4. daystar
        daystar
        All the elders in my neighbouring hall had moustaches, and I mentioned that once when I was being counselled for having one. The elder's reply was, "Yes, but no elders in this congregation have one."

This makes me wonder if there are ever battles between congregations. The one congregation must think itself superior since they didn't wear mustaches. Such unity!

5. blondie
        blondie

Many of these rules are at the discretion of the individual elder body. I lived in a town with several congregations and in one, the brothers were allowed to have a mustache, and in another it was forbidden for elders/MS to have one. There was a lot of moving done around that time.

6. dedpoet
        dedpoet

We were allowed moustaches in my former cong, but beards were definitely out. I remember onetime coming back from a holiday with a beard and I had a phone call from the school overseer advising me to shave as I had a talk that Tuesday and wearing a beard was iappropriate. He never said why though, but being a good little dub I complied. Later, as I was on my way out, I grew a beard to irritate them, though I hate beards really

7. evita
        evita

Marvin
        Your stories made me LMAO. My elders were so prudish they would never even let the cong see a film with a breast-feeding mom much less let sisters nurse in public. All nursing sisters immediately to the bathroom or breastfeed under a huge poncho. So funny to see all the red-faced, sweaty babies after the meeting was over.
        Another elder law was that the teens could not go out in service together. Oh, except if you were an elders kid you could gather a group of your friends and go out.
        Definitely no R-rated movies.
        Bad association rules. I happened to have lunch at school with an unbaptized JW who was engaged to an older wordly man. I got into huge trouble with an elders wife for this one.

Share this

Google+
      Pinterest
      Reddit