Do you JW's believe that during the 1000 yr reign that all the dead will JW

by booker-t 40 Replies latest jw friends

• defd
    defd

defd,

Let's suppose I agree with you. Then suppose I want to teach that truth to someone else. Let's further complicate my life by saying I want to use the Scriptures to teach. Outside of Watchtower publications, where would I go to prove that there are "new scrolls?" In other words, where in Scripture are the "new scrolls" opened? Where, in fact, is the phrase "new scrolls" found in the Scriptures?

Old soul I apologize for saying NEW scrolls an honest mistake. The bible reads it at Revelation 20:12 as SCROLLS and another SCROLL, the scroll of life and those will be judged out of the things written in them. That does not change what I said though.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

defd,

Thank you for the correction. However, my concern is that you are now apologizing for using "the pure language of truth."

Revelation—Its Grand Climax at Hand! chap. 41 pp. 299-300 God’s Day of Judgment—Its Joyful Outcome!15 What an extensive campaign of theocratic education will be needed! In 1987 Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide were conducting, on the average, 3,005,048 Bible studies in various locations. But during the resurrection, countless millions of studies, based on the Bible and the new scrolls, will no doubt be conducted! All of God’s people will need to become teachers and to exert themselves. Resurrected ones, as they progress, will no doubt share in this vast teaching program. Likely, the resurrection will proceed in such a way that those who are alive may have the joy of welcoming and instructing former family members and acquaintances, who, in their turn, may welcome and instruct others. (Compare 1 Corinthians 15:19-28, 58.) The more than three million witnesses of Jehovah who are active in spreading the truth today are laying a good foundation for the privileges they hope to have during the resurrection.—Isaiah 50:4; 54:13.
    Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life chap. 19 p. 185 When the Knowledge of God Fills the Earth13 How grand it will be when the knowledge of God fills the earth! There will be an extensive educational program under the direction of the King Jesus Christ and his 144,000 corulers. New “scrolls” will then come into use. Evidently these are God’s written instructions that will serve as a basis for educating earth’s inhabitants. (Revelation 20:12) Mankind will learn, not war, but peace. All destructive weapons will be gone forever. (Psalm 46:9) Inhabitants of the new world will be taught to treat their fellow humans with love, respect, and dignity
    w85 6/15 p. 18 Sustaining Ourselves on the Fulfillment of Jehovah’s Utterances21 Then, carrying out another divine utterance, Christ will bind Satan and his demons and hurl them into the abyss for “a thousand years.” (Revelation 20:1-3) That thousand years will allow for the fulfillment of other utterances of Jehovah, including the resurrection of the dead and “the curing of the nations,” obedient mankind. (Revelation 20:11-15; 22:1, 2) During this thousand-year judgment period, Jehovah evidently will give additional instructions, unknown to us at present, as new “scrolls” are opened. (Revelation 20:12) How marvelous it will be for the survivors of the “great tribulation” and for the resurrected dead to gain instruction and guidance from these further instructions as set forth on these unrolled “scrolls” of Jehovah and to carry them out delightfully!

The Knowledge book is the current publication used to teach indoctrinate new students. This publication teaches that the scrolls are new, although nothing in Scripture supports that assertion. Have you ever heard of the concept of "lying when the truth will do?" Why do they teach this? On what is it based?

They use the term "evidently" to support their assertion, yet it's anything but evident. It is almost like they don't understand what the word "evidently" means. Again, I ask, on what is their authority to do this based? What Scripture authorizes them to teach "new light?"

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• defd
    defd

Old soul I am not sure why the FDS would say NEW scrolls. I would have to think as to why. But just off the top of my head without doing any real thinking, I would assume NEW is meant as instructions we have not had before.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yep, I'm with OldSoul on this: WT teaching has for a long while been that all those in the millenium will have to be taught from the new scrolls (as in Revelation) and will be judged when they have reached perfection and passed the final testing.

So I think defd had it right the first time.

• blondie
    blondie

"Evidently" is a WTS buzzword that they use when they know the Bible doesn't say or support what they say. "Likely" is another buzzword. Others:

Buzz Words In Their Literature

This Clearly Shows . . . Obviously . . .
    The Bible plainly says . . . Logically . . .
    Has clearly shown . . . Justifiably . . .
    We have clearly seen . . . Surly this is reasonable . . .
    The evidence shows . . . We might reasonable assume. . .
    The evidence should be clear . . . Most/Many Scholars . . .
    Reasonably, then . . . Surely then . . .
    Thus the facts make clear . . . Truly . . .
    What must one do . . . Apparently...
    Most certainly... Of course...
    Isn't it reasonable to conclude... Possibly...
    Fine examples... Probably...
    Thus, we can see... .

http://www.jwfiles.com/jw-words.htm

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

defd,

I agree. That is the same thing they say about "new light." Instructions we haven't had before would be new, but nothing indicates the scrolls would be different or novel. Nothing indicates that the scrolls would be "instructions" per se. They may just be the criteria we have right there in the Biblion on our shelf.

Either way, my real concern is that "new 'scrolls'" is the current teaching for new students of JWism and there is no explanation for it, as far as I can tell, beyond "evidently" it has to be that way.

In my opinion, evidently, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society did not think it was a bad idea to add to the words of Revelation. You know as well as I that these "new 'scrolls'" are discussed frequently among Witnesses, and that you used the expression so comfortably because you had never questioned whether it was based on Scripture. I used to do the same thing.

From where, in Scripture, does the authority of the Governing Body derive?

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• Mary
    Mary
    I was talking to a JW's elder the other day and he told me that people like my grandmother who was a "devout born-again baptist" would have to study and become a JW's in the 1000 year reign before she could enter into paradise.

Well here's a question that makes a JW's head spin: If someone of the "Great Crowd" dies now, they'll get an earthly resurrection, right? What about someone who's a Catholic, or Protestant? Or someone who's an Athiest? If they die now, will they get an earthly resurrection? The answer you'll get will be "yes" and they'll have the chance to learn all about Jehovah and Jesus in the New System of Things.

My question then is: So if Witnesses and non-Witnesses who die now, both get a resurrection here on earth, why should anyone go to 5 meetings a week, go banging on doors every waking moment and obey all the insane rules and regulations that the WTS puts on their shoulders if you're going to get a resurrection anyway?

I asked an elder that once and he had no answer but gave me a dirty look.

• daystar
    daystar
    I beg to differ. That is not true. According to the SCRIPTURES the righteous and the unrighteous will be ressurected during the 1000 yr reign. Acts 24:15 According to Revelations, NEW SCROLLS wil be opened and from those scrolls is what will determine who goes on to live for ever. Revelations 20:12

I will agree that this is what the WBTS teaches as Truth. However, I have no idea of their reasoning behind it anymore. Your quote of Rev 20:12 appears to be irrelevant to NEW SCROLLS being opened:

"And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books."

This speaks only of the book of life specifically and does not describe any of the others in any way.

• defd
    defd

Either way, my real concern is that "new 'scrolls'" is the current teaching for new students of JWism and there is no explanation for it, as far as I can tell, beyond "evidently" it has to be that way.

It is not really a current teaching. I have heard that ever since i became baptised and that was 10yrs ago.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

It's like the Mafia, Mary. Once you know, you are (permanently) dead if you leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit