Its very strange-----------------

by vitty 51 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

I think part of the reason I enjoy the board, and the "FRIENDS" (patooey) is that now I realize how much we truly have in common. Whereas when we were at the KH together (so to speak) we could not express

1. Who we truly were

2. Our passions, desires and dreams - lest some fanatic point out that 'these are da last days and dey should be spent in jehobas service ... yadda yadda yadda (how many times have I heard that?!?)

3. Difference of opinion without worrying about someone ratting you out

4. No cognitive dissonance to contend with because you don't feel 'joy' in the ministry, you don't 'enjoy' all of the talks or 'appreciate' the spiritual provisions of the FDS etc. etc. etc.

Just the constant sizing up of everyone made me want to run from the KH. I've had a couple of people make snide remarks towards me here but it doesn't matter to me because I know that they don't really, really know me, then again, not everyone who knows me likes me anyway . So why should I expect that here. Oh yeah, and in the KH everyone is supposed to just luuuuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvvvvvvv everybody else so how could you admit to yourself that you didn't 'like' someone you were supposedly had to be willing to lay down your life for if need be?

Anyway ... good topic vitty

sweet tee

• vitty
    vitty

We need to cut Defd some slack and stop going on about him being here, hes made it clear why he doesnt have a problem being here and I dont think we should either.

Every time he gives an opposing view, ppl start asking why hes here and why he posts from his work place. So on both counts its cos hes allowed to.

So back on topic

Cant remember what it was now !!!!!!!!!!

• Carol
    Carol

I think the topic had to do with how strange it is that we are drawn here, to JWD and the discussions regarding that which we left.

I'm drawn here, almost daily, because of the discussions and because it's nice to know that you are not alone. That there are others that have the same doubts and questions as I do. I'm drawn because this is a place I can ask the questions and discuss the topics not allowed by the WTB&TS.

As for "poor" def'd.....I have one or maybe two questions....Are you self employed? If not, would it not be the business of your employer that you spend so much of your workday on line and not attending to your employment duties?

• gringojj
    gringojj

Maybe the WTS pays defd to defend them all day long at work?

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

I have friends who are employed as Database Administrators. Their employers LOVE to see them surfing the Web, as long as the sites are not out of line with company policy. When they are surfing there are no problems with the databases. I imagine there are many other jobs in the tech field that are similar. I used to post here from work often, no one cared as long as my work was done in a timely manner.

I think we should mind our own business about why defd is here, who he works for, why he can post from work, or whatever the hell else he asks us not to ask about. Hopefully, if we don't run him away, he'll eventually wake up. If we do run him away, you have saved one for the good ol' Governing Body and won't you be proud.

I pray my family will someday be brave enough to venture into a place like this, I would not want them getting the third degree even if they WERE supporting the GB. Would you want your family memebers to think posting here was not worth the hassle? This is not JUST a forum for ex-JWs, it is also for those who FIRMLY believe the JWs are right.

Defd, as far as I am concerned you are welcome to post here, to discuss issues with me by PM, or to email me if you want. You have every reason to test your ability to defend your faith.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• willowmoon
    willowmoon

Getting back to the original question...meeting attendance and service hours... for me it's a matter of time management. My responsibilities at home and work simply don't allow for me to attend meetings three nights and Sunday plus time in the field. I manage the family home, caring for elderly parents who live here (one of whom is very ill and requires full time care) and own a small business to help support all that. The elders and congregation (who follow the elders' direction) say I'm placing family and business above God, but I disagree. Jehovah is with me wherever I am, and if it's a question of my mom getting care or my attending a meeting, mom gets the attention. Here at home I can grab intervals of ten minutes or so online or reading, studying, learning and teaching, at work I talk to people. I believe that carrying Jehovah's words all the time and practicing Jesus' teachings in daily life, are more substantial than fulfilling a required number of hours or public appearances while neglecting my family's needs. I do attend meetings when the schedule permits, but am told it must be all or nothing. I'm trusting that Jehovah understands the concept of multi-tasking and practicality.

• vitty
    vitty

Actually, I think a lot of it is interaction . There is none in the hall, you just sit and listen!!! apart from when YOU have an item. Even on FS, there are not many times you can even get past your presentation. Theres no exchange of ideas, no debate, no conversation and when there is, it must be in a recognizable way, society language and rhetoric.

But here, we can agree or disagree, respectfully. Ive learned so much since joinning this board about how different , and how alike we humans are !

Its called freedom

• luna2
    luna2

willowmoon, right on! Not that I consider myself a JW any more, but when I did, this is something that really bothered me.

The WTS often seems most concerned about the accounting. They want numbers to prove to themselves as well as outsiders that they are making progress. The thing is the numbers don't prove anything, especially the service hours, because so many people lie on their time slips to keep the elders off their backs about being "low-hour" publishers, to keep or attain priviledges in the congregation, to stay off the inactive list or to make their auxillary or reg. pioneer hours. Those numbers are completely inaccurate and, therefore, meaningless. The only reason to publish them is propaganda.

The Society seems to think that if they do away with reporting of hours, then the slacker JWs won't feel they have to go out in service at all or something. What ever happened to being accountable to Jesus and Jehovah? If they are real entities, if the WTBTS is really their holy organization here on earth, won't they know what their followers are doing or not doing and even the true motivation behind their actions? Aren't they the ones individuals should be accountable to? Just think how much time would be freed up not having to mess with time slips, telephoning to find out hours when time slips aren't turned in, and making reports to headquarters each month.

• vitty
    vitty

Luna 2, i totally agree with you. I think all JWs know deep down that reporting is wrong but what can you do. I remember I said it myself to a group of friends once and was accused of sounding apostate and that was before I stopped going to meetings, I was so upset !!!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

gringojj

Having gone over your last few posts I find your behaviour towards defd very worrying.

Could you let me know what gives you the right to intimidate other board users by following them from thread to thread? defd doesnt have to answer your questions - what do you think you are doing, running a judicial committee? DOn;t you realise how creepy and unsettling your behaviour is? Dont you realise other posters shouldn't have to put up with you pulling a stunt like that?'Get a grip.

Mods, I know no one is talking about sex, or disagreeing with moderator decisions, or anything really important like that, but it would be nice if the posting guidelines could be enforced in a situation where one poster could reasonably be worried and disturbed by another poster stalking them in this fashion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit