Who was your favorite "60's " folk singer?

by hubert 44 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I saw Gordon Lightfood 3 or 4 times in the 70's an 80's. I fell in love with Folk when I was 14 years old... about 1971.

Others on my list:

Hoyt Axton

Tom Rush - I saw in concert in Seattle in 1988 in a small venue

Arlo Guthrie

Simon/Garfarkle

Mason Williams

Judy Collins - one of the purest female voices I've ever heard

Joan Baez

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Oh yeah

Peter Paul Mary

Jim Croce

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Quote: "I still enjoy listening to Bob Dylan's older stuff but does anyone else in here agree with me that the older he gets the more he sounds like Popeye when he sings?"

Well I love Bob with my whole heart, soul and mind (John 34:2) but I have to agree his voice is basically stuffed. On "Time out of Mind" his voice is almost still bearable, butI find it quite rough on Love and Theft.

If you download some of his recent concert tours, his voice is sometimes OK, sometimes not. Still love him though.

Pope

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

All of the above but Joni Mitchell's lyrics are awesome.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I'm with I Quit on the Gordon Lightfoot thing. My Mom used to listen to him constantly when I was a wee pup. It's very nostalgiac.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Speaking of British folk rock, I love Steeleye Span. My favorite two of theirs are Black Leg Miner and Saucy Sailor.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

Judy Collins, Someday Soon has been covered by a host of people most recently Jewel.

Kingston Trio, Send My Mail To The Tijuana Jail.

Glen Yarborough, Baby The Rain Must Fall

Shel Silverstein, The Dying Beatnick's Lament Louden Wainwright III, Dead Skunk In The Middle of The Road (seventies song but Louden's been around since the sixties)

Born in 1958 I wanted to be a Beatnick as a young child in the sixties. I dreamed of wearing a beret, drinking lots of expresso, playing the bongos, applauding by snapping my fingers and reciting poetry that doesn't rhyme at smoke filled coffee houses called the Hungry Eye. In modern times, David Wilcox is my favorite Folk Singer.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Born in 1958 I wanted to be a Beatnick as a young child in the sixties. I dreamed of wearing a beret, drinking lots of expresso, playing the bongos, applauding by snapping my fingers and reciting poetry that doesn't rhyme at smoke filled coffee houses called the Hungry Eye.

Me, too. In the early 60's my dad was an engineer at radio station and then a recording studio and he brought home lots of what I call Beatnik jazz with lots of flute and stand up bass. Mose Allison type jazz. I used to dream of opening up a similar type place and trying to recreate a beatnik coffee house type atmosphere. I love the song Sugar Shack, because it's about a beatnik coffee house.

• Emma
    Emma

Joan Baez for me, too. I popped her latest CD in here at work, a compilation of old and new stuff.

I got to see her last year at the Ark in Ann Arbor, a 400-seat venue, coffee house. It was wonderful! I got up at five in the morning to buy the ticket. If I hadn't been raised in the borg, I'd have done that more when I was young.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Robert Stock - Yeah, Louden III, and his work, especially, 'Episcopalian'.

Brenda- loved Tom Rush, it's strange, but I think of Buffie St. Marie when I think of Tom Rush (don't know why).

Anybody remember 'Pearls Before Swine' - 'Another Time?'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit