Who was your favorite "60's " folk singer?

by hubert 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Does anyone remember Judy Henske? What a voice.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Tim Buckley, Richie Havens, Jaimie Brockett (Boston and Cambridge - anybody remember him), Judy Collins, and Laura Nyro. Surprised no one mentioned her yet. She sent/sends shivers up my spine.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Okay amongst those mentioned I am a die hard Gordon Lightfoot fan. I have every album/cd every released and have met him on several occasions both during my dub-daze and afterwards.
    Now here is a test, primarily of the Canadian folk crowd, who here remembers Valdi? He is playing at a resort in Orillia (Bayview Wildwood) on October 21 and I will get a chance to meet him and get him to autograph my album (as in record - remember those things?).
    I am pretty pumped about meeting the guy who has stayed true to his message from the 60's onwards.
    Uzzah - who can sing every word to "play me a rock & roll song"

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I was born in 58, so folk music really made an impact on me, growing up in a very musical household. I love everyone mentioned here. That's probably why in my own way I'm still sort of a hippie girl to this day.

I have to say though that Neil Young would be my favorite and then Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Got to see Neil in 2003. He was GREAT!

Carol King deserves a mention along side Joni Mitchell and Joan Baez. I love Diamonds and Rust and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. I wore out my Tapestry LP.

I also wore out Sweet Baby James by James Taylor and then did the same to MudSlideSlim.

One fond memory of a date with my first husband was going to see a midnight movie at Phipps Plaza in Buckhead, Ga. The movie was Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant Masacre.

These days it's hard to beat Nanci Griffith.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I never really considered Carol King as folk but I think Tapestry was one of the best albums ever.

Back to Gordon Lightfoot. The Canadian Rail Road Trilogy song by Gordon is one of my favorite songs also Early Morning Rain and the Wreck of the Edmond Fitzjerald. I got to see him once in Anaheim, he was very good.

Does Neil Young qualify as folk? Definately one of the greatest song writers ever.

A little trivia on Bob Dylan. Both Gordon Lightfoot and Jimmy Hendrix didn't want to sing because they felt they couldn't sing well. Once the heard Dylan sing they thought if he could get up there and sing with his voice so could they. Neil Young was also heavily influenced by Dylan. Dylan irritated a lot of people when he went electric. Neil thought it was great that Dylan didn't get stuck in rut musically. It influenced his approach to music. And to get further off the subject the other big musical influence in Neil's early years were the Rolling Stones.

I still enjoy listening to Bob Dylan's older stuff but does anyone else in here agree with me that the older he gets the more he sounds like Popeye when he sings?

• lawrence
    lawrence

I quit-

When he screams "the vandals stole the handles" he does sound a little like Popeye. The night I saw him in Boston many years ago he sounded more like the Chelsea Drug Store. I never considered Neil folk, but one great songwriter. We were at a Toronto Raptors game this March and Gordon Lightfoot was there - they put him in the spotlights, overheads, camera and he just dropped his head in embarrassment, "the hero would still be me..."

Great thread!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You have to think of Bob Dylan and his influence on rock music. There became a genre called folk rock and it was closely related to country rock. Of course Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young and Carol King were all influenced by Bob and other folk singers and went on to develop their own folk rock sound. And yes, I do consider them as folk as it progressed. Carly Simon would fit in there, too. The Byrds. The Band. All heavily peppered with folk.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Here's a very good link about folk rock music, for you, I Quit. I forgot all about Simon and Garfunkel. For some reason, the page won't embed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_rock#Singer-songwriters

• I quit!
    I quit!
    We were at a Toronto Raptors game this March and Gordon Lightfoot was there - they put him in the spotlights, overheads, camera and he just dropped his head in embarrassment, "the hero would still be me..."

That is how I would expect him to act. When I saw him he tried to tell a joke but he wasn't very good at it. He was better at playing music than talking to the audience. My uncle told me he once met Gordon in a bar and spent some time talking with him. He said he was a nice guy but pretty boring to talk to.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Thanx for the info FlyingHighNow, I'll check it out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit