Who was your favorite "60's " folk singer?

by hubert 44 Replies latest jw friends

• hubert
    hubert

I go this idea from Simons post on Bob Dylan's documentary.

My first choice would be....

Joan Baez.... She had the most beautiful voice, and with her excellent guitar picking, didn't need any backup music or singers.

Next would be ...Peter, Paul and Mary. They could really harmonize magnificeintly.

What are your favorites?

Hubert

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Hubert

I assume you mean "Favourite AFTER Bob", of course.....

Yes I love Joanie, she is great. I loved some of Doc Watsons songs too.I love The Band, though possible not strictly folk (but then neither was Bob ....)

Joan's recent CD "Dark Chords on a big Guitar" whatever its called is excellent.

Pope

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The Legendary Martin Carthy- also 70s and 80 s

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

slim whitman

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Joan Baez. When she sings "The Trees They Grow High," "House Of The Rising Sun," or "Matty Groves," I'm smitten.

Unfortunately, I don't like her newer stuff.

• Nick
    Nick

In my opinon, Joni Mitchell is the reigning talent of 60s and 70s folk music. Not only did she create her own intricate open tunings for guitar, she had a terrific gift for introspective, soulful lyrics. She was able to combine melody with content.

Nick

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

jesus and the jehosaphites

• chrissy
    chrissy

joan baez..i second that.

i wish i were a bohemian living in greenwich village in the 60's. only i would take regular showers. bohemians were kinda dirty.

• blondie
    blondie

PP&M (peter, paul and mary)

• hubert
    hubert

I got to hand it to Dylan, though, he wrote many cool songs. Not many singers write their own music, I believe. I like Dylans older songs, mostly.

Almost any song Peter, Paul and Mary sing are fabulous.

Joni Mitchel...That rings a bell. What did she sing?

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit