I received an E-mail from an old friend....how do I respond?

by schne_belly 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I'd write back something like:

Hey XXX, it's great to hear from you. What have you been up to lately? Are you still [in job/college]? How's [the family/mutual friends]? I've been [whatever] It'd be great to meet up with you sometime. Are you free on [whatever day]?

Basically, a normal catch-up-with-old-friends e-mail. Don't mention the JW stuff at all. If they insist on pushing it, say you're happy to talk about your reasons for leaving if they're willing to listen.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    lo there-How are things going with you? I......................................

Isn't this the gist of every letter or every conversation received from JW relatives and friends expressing their "concern"? Not as much are they expecting an answer about how you're doing personally, but how you're doing in relation to whatever the WT dictates.

The small pieces of bread at both the beginning and end of the letters denoting kindness and friendship wrapped around the "meat" of how whatever you're doing is negatively affecting them with the "condiment" veiled accusations of you not doing the "right" thing.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I love your draft response!!! Good technique.

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/verify.htm has some good quotes about following your own good judgement and verifying things you're told, keeping an open mind, etc. You could probably quote those and say you've followed the advice.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Im not talking to you after that dirty trick you played on me!!!!!!

Ask her if she wants to meet us at the bar for a few beers!

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

144001 Take her out for coffee and fart in the car on the way. Don't let her roll the windows down, tell her there are demons outside that might come in. The fartgas might produce a lucid interval for her! OMG!!! That's funny!...... that would be a good way to get her off my back!

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

PLEASE FORGIVE ME BUTT!!!! HA! HA!

It's true though, you really ARE a naughty apostate!....

• lawrence
    lawrence

I like Tal's idea. Leave the ball in her court. Invite her out for coffee or a few boiler makers. Then see how important true friendship is. Let her decide when and where, and if she cancels once, just leave the invitation out there. Perhaps she'll see what REAL FRIENDSHIP is about... and what the WTS breed of shunning is about.

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

Shania,

I'm still waiting on my "good" friend 4 years later,,,,,,,,,,,,don't need friends like that in your life...........

Unfortunatly I see this happening.... Why woulnd't i?. Basically all my current JW friends have shuned me ( I'm not Df'd or Da'd just a fader). I guess that is why I feel a bit more tollerent of this particular friend and her attmepts to "help". I have to give her credit that she's coming to me and not just listening to the gossip mill.... but I'm sure once she figures out I won't come back, or give her straight forward answers...it'll be "adios" to me! Ohhh well. It's true, none of us need "friends" like that in life. It's just the matter of TRUELY believing that yourself and letting go....that's the tough part.

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

She stated in her E-mail she missed seeing me at meetings when she comes to town to visit.

In my reply I said that next time she is in town, I would love to see her. She should stop over,or call me up and we can hang out. Hopefully she'll catch on, that being in a KH isn't the ONLY time we can see eachother.....

• Balsam
    Balsam

Let her know you miss her too but now you won't be returning as your heart is just not in it. Let her know you appreciate her stating that she would support you in your efforts when your ready if ever to return. Let her know you had fun times and you will always be there for her whether she is a JW or not. Tell her good by and best wishes for the future.

Witnesses won't be there for those out, unless their on their way out too.

The JW friends I was closest too were the ones most determined to turn their backs on me, even to the point of cruelity. So the lesson is if your not with them in mind and heart you will not be their friend. A worldly person has more likely to get closer to them than those who walk away from their religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit