I received an E-mail from an old friend....how do I respond?

by schne_belly 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• thom
    thom

As others have said, I think she really is sincere but she's so conditioned that she doesn't see how it's really just a guilt trip.
    ---"I just want you to know that I will always be here for you if you decide that you want to support His organization again"---
    She says "I will always be there for you IF", showing a condition to her associating with you again.
    I would try a friendly reply if I'd reply at all.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I'm sure you realize how that affects the rest of your life, and the rest of the lives of all those who love you-your family, your friends, the ones who miss you now. The choices you are making are decisions that only you can make for yourself. You know me well enough that I would never want to say anything to hurt you, but I am worried about you. I really do miss you!! Every day is one day closer to the end of this system, the times are so urgent, o how I wish you'd put your trust once again into the organization, true, it is thru imperfect men that things are organized but Jehovah has provided so much evidence proving that he is backing this arrangement.

Typical JW guilt trip letter to 'bring you back to Jehover'.

• Chia
    Chia

Whoa Schne. I just noticed you are one day older than me. Weird.

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

Chia... You are right! That's cool....

I just added my b-day to my profile...

• Sheri
    Sheri

Blondie you are so right, when I read the website FAQ and just could not believe the double talk, masters of manipulation! I would not respond with much more than a "Thank You, hope all is going well with you too." sign off as Living in love and peace for all mankind.

Peace,

Sheri

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute
    I will always be here for you if you decide that you want to support His organization again

IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf you want to be a jw again... otherwise, politely go F urself???

bethel

• jgnat
    jgnat

Talesin took the words right out of my mouth. Call her bluff. See if she really misses YOU.

You could write back and tell them you miss them, too. How about we get together for coffee, as there is so little time at the KH to really chat, anyway. After all, we have been friends so long, let's catch up!

My bet is she will reply with something stupid like "YOU KNOW why I can't meet with you in your current condition."

• findingmyway
    findingmyway
    You are right, it is mainly about THEM.

My mom once pleaded with me to return to the organization because people miss and love me. She basically told me that I was being selfish and not considering the feelings of others. I was taken aback and told her that I no longer felt that a group of men could judge me because they can't read my heart. I told her that I would not subject myself to that type of judgment again. She and my father paid me a visit to plead with me again to return to the organization. I told them both that I was not prepared to do that. In the past, I made all my spiritual decisions based on what others wanted me to do. Today, I won't make any spiritual decisions unless it's what I want. If it isn't in my heart to do what good will it be to me or anyone else for me to do it. They respected that statement, gave me a hug, told me they loved me and kindly left.

• JH
    JH

Well, I never did receive an email or even a phone call since I faded 15 years ago, except for the elders (congegation police force).

I think that her letter is sincere, and she does miss you.

The bottom line is that you don't want to go back, and you are happy the way you are now. Just let her know that she was nice to email you, and tell her that you are happier the way you are now.

To those that shun you, they aren't important.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Hi Schne, Maybe you could take a higher road with this. In her letter she treats you like a poor soul who's lost her way. In reality she is the one who is being victimaized. Maybe you can write her back and point out some of that out. For instance, You still love her. You are happy. You've freed yourself from manmade obligations, manipulation, guilt and the depression it created. You'd like to share you're happiness with her, but she is trapped by the rules and restrictions put on her by old men she's probably never met. In the future she can look forward more pain and sorrow at the loss of more friends, children and others who wake up to the sham that's been sold to them all of these years. If there's any way you could help, you are there for her. You sympathise with her because you were once there yourself. You will not yeild to emotional blackmail, but you offer unconditional friendship and a safe haven if she ever needs it. Let's face it, she's a victim and you are free. Why not call a spade a spade? -FW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit