I received an E-mail from an old friend....how do I respond?

by schne_belly 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

Not ever having been a JW and knowing very little about this religion, I am shocked at these shunning tactics. I wouldn't even respond to this friend's email. But, it is easy for me to say that because I've never been involved in such an emotionally screwed up religion. I am sure it must be hard for you to risk losing a good friend. Let us know how you decided to handle it.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    My mom once pleaded with me to return to the organization because people miss and love me. She basically told me that I was being selfish and not considering the feelings of others. I was taken aback and told her that I no longer felt that a group of men could judge me because they can't read my heart. I told her that I would not subject myself to that type of judgment again. She and my father paid me a visit to plead with me again to return to the organization. I told them both that I was not prepared to do that. In the past, I made all my spiritual decisions based on what others wanted me to do. Today, I won't make any spiritual decisions unless it's what I want. If it isn't in my heart to do what good will it be to me or anyone else for me to do it. They respected that statement, gave me a hug, told me they loved me and kindly left.

This is a great statement! And I'm so glad your parents respected you for your stance. Unfortuately, I don't think my parents would. LOL

If my parents ever did this, I'd be more apt to say something like, "Mom, if I came back to the organization, it wouldn't be so I could make you and the brothers happy. First and foremost, my relationship with God is the most important thing. Isn't that what the JWs teach? My relationship with God is better now than it ever was as a JW. Why would I turn my back on Him to make men happy?"

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Here's what I wrould write:

"Screw you and the computer you wrote that letter on. I'm never coming back to that hypocritical, lying, no-good organization, and I can prove my reasons why. That said, I value your friendship more than what 12 men in Patterson, NJ think, so I'd love to see you socially. Here's my phone # XXX-XXX-XXXX. I look forward to hearing from you, my old friend!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit