Former JW now Atheist...

by zeroday 35 Replies latest jw friends

• zeroday
    zeroday

My road to atheistism actually began when I was a JW. I would be sitting in the hall listening to another "mind numbing, boring, slit your wrist" kind of talk and my mind would wander off. Then I began thinking about the book of Genesis. It just didn't fit. It didn't make sense. I knew if Genesis were not true then the rest of the bible could not be.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Remember, you don't have to reject the Bible and become atheist. There's lots of other theistic ideas out there, or just form your own!

I'm glad to see I've converted at least somebody to Last Thursdayism.

• rebel8
    rebel8

The philosophy I believe in is humanism. I do not concern myself with whether or not god exists, only in being a good person and leading a happy life. If at some point the supernatural world wishes to make itself known and requests worship, if it is comprised of good beings, they will be pleased with the way I am leading my life and I will need to make very few modifications.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hey ZD,

As you can see, you're not alone. I'm an atheist, too. (The 'Almost' is vestigial)

"I am an atheist, but......"

Yeah, I've said that. And I still say it. The thinking that leads a person to atheism is "Ok, but prove it." You eventually reject the things you've been taught as unprovable. You eventually say, "If there's really a god, why does he let little kids get horribly disfigured, raped, and killed?" You conclude from what you see that there is no god.

But ya can't prove it.

So you're in this position of not being able to declare yourself true and fully atheist since the proof you require isn't available. But you don't like the "sitting on the fence" feel of agnostism. So you go ahead and say "atheist".

At least I do.

I can't recall who the quote is attributed to, but one atheist in discussing his views with a theist said:

"I contend we are both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you do. When you can understand why you denounce all other gods but yours, then you can understand why I denounce yours."

Dave

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Another atheist here!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I am as well.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Like Rebel8, I consider Humanism a worthy way of exploring my spiritual and secular needs.
    I can't prove that there is a God or gods, that's up to the believer to defend. However, I think it's important to treat others fairly and to do as little harm to our home as possible. It would be wonderful if religions had such goals! :(

• kazar
    kazar

Welcome to the board, Zeroday, and count me in the atheist group.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I like atheists, but I just don't have enough faith to be one.

• startingover
    startingover

Count me in! Bottom line is that I just don't know if there is a god.

So for the reasons Dave described I claim atheism:

But you don't like the "sitting on the fence" feel of agnostism. So you go ahead and say "atheist".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit