by zeroday 35 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

one more here.....

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

almost atheist,

Stephen F Roberts

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

dawkins also said it well:

“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”
  • funkyderek
    funkyderek

I began becoming an atheist at a very young age when I heard about Zeus and the other gods of the Greek pantheon and realised they didn't exist. As I got older I learnt about more and more gods that didn't exist. Eventually I figured out Jehovah didn't exist either. I've yet to find a god that differs substantially from these non-existent ones.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Brilliant quotes tetra.
    I found Mackin's line about Bethel interesting. I was when I was in Bethel that I became all too aware that the WTS is not led by Holy Spirit. It was just a factory.
    I could never accept the barbaric justification for evil called the sovereignty issue. But life is statistically improbable. Could it be that the universe has a propensity for life called the creator. Is belief in a mindless creative force a belief in God?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Could it be that the universe has a propensity for life called the creator.

Sort of, yeah. In the same way that water has a propensity for flowing downhill and objects in motion want to stay in motion. Life is what you get when you take the stuff of our universe and put it together the way our universe is put together. That sounds so simplistic, but don't reject it on that basis. When you get into the nitty gritty of how life works, it's all very simple. This pushes that, which turns this, which makes that spin, and so on. All complex things are like that. Can you imagine trying to understand how the space shuttle works? But each little piece isn't all that complicated.

I haven't done the research of an AlanF or an Abaddon, but I've looked into evolution enough to realize that it is a natural process. Things can't help but evolve, and they don't need any supernatural help to pull it off.

So how did life start? Or the universe? I don't know. But when somebody comes up with a testable theory and manages to get life started in a jar under conditions that were likely on the earth 3 billion years ago, I won't be the least surprised. Impressed, but not at all surprised.

Thanks for the quotes, Tetra! I've always loved that Roberts quote, couldn't capture it better.

Dave

• kid-A
    kid-A

A militant atheist here since the tender age of 14 !!! More power to you !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit