Former JW now Atheist...

by zeroday 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

I was never a JW, but I was raised in a Christian religion. Now, I am heading towards atheism. The idea that there is a god somewhere keeping tabs on us seems so silly. The only difference between the story of God and the story of Santa Claus is that my parents finally told me when I was about 9 years old that they "made up" Santa Claus.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I became a Last Thursdayest.

We believe the universe was created last thursday.

• Mackin
    Mackin

I was an atheist *while* I was a dub.

I remember shortly after going to Beth-hell and being appointed an elder, thinking how fake it all was. The closer I got to the inner workings of the Borg the more I realised it was ALL LIES.

It was an easy step to atheism. I never really believed in god anyway, just went thru the motions.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I think you'll find the odd atheist here!!!

I was raised an atheist became a jw for 15 yrs now back in the fold. To be honest I wrestled the whole time with the belief of a loving benign 'father" .

That wasn't helped by the bible extolling god's traits of jealousy, wrath, vengefulness and general adolescent behaviour...

• aniron
    aniron

I usually find that some JW's who leave say they are atheist, but what they mean is that they no longer follow any particular religion or faith.

In fact when I've spoken to others and they say they are atheist its always comes out as "I am an atheist, but......"

• Mackin
    Mackin

[I usually find that some JW's who leave say they are atheist, but what they mean is that they no longer follow any particular religion or faith.
    In fact when I've spoken to others and they say they are atheist its always comes out as "I am an atheist, but......"]

Well I'm not one of those.

As far as I'm concerned, there is NO god. Other may choose to believe in god or something similar, but my world view is totally free from any belief in the supernatural or mystic. I don't believe in God or Satan or demons or angels or spirituality or life after death. I'm an atheist and a skeptic.

If you want to believe in god or the supernatural, that's your choice, but from my point of view it's self-delusion.

Mackin

• vitty
    vitty

I wonder how many ppl who leave the org become atheist!

I think its because as a witness your main concern is obeying the WT, which we though was God. Then when you leave you realize you never really knew God or christ at all.

You have to start again, if you want to, to build up your spituality and then wade through your own superstitions and crap, and start learning from scratch what the bible really says.

These can be quite daunting and takes real effort, but after being maybe badly treated or lied to by the WT it can leave you feeling exhausted. Remember we "had" to spend hours and hours a week dedicated to the "education" of God. No wonder ppl are put off by the prospect of finding out if there is one

I think the WT does a fantastic job of sucking the life, enthusiasm and spiritually out of millions

• Mackin
    Mackin

[Then when you leave you realize you never really knew God or christ at all.]

That's because there is no god or christ to get to know. They are fingments of the imagination.

[and start learning from scratch what the bible really says.]

The bile is a fictional book of myth and superstition. You'd be foolish to ascribe any relavance to it.

[Remember we "had" to spend hours and hours a week dedicated to the "education" of God. No wonder ppl are put off by the prospect of finding out if there is one]

Not at all. Even a small amount of research and critical thinking proves beyond doubt that god and all things "supernatural" is a myth.

• Golf
    Golf

Never have nor will I ever be!!!! I believe in a Creator, not god.

Golf

• The Chuckler
    The Chuckler

Brought up a JW, now an atheist.

Religion is a racket.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit