I Can't Believe JW Relative Called

by Jeannine 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

My husband and I have been basically ignored for about 15 years by most of his JW family. His mom calls once every few months, but only to ask for money (yes, she is a mooch). Both of his brothers are Elders. My husband was never baptised and was the only person in his family to not get sucked into this cult. I am the wicked, former Catholic turned non-believer-in- any-religion-wife. There has never been any disagreements or real family problems. The distance was created soley because of their JW beliefs. When our niece got married, we were sent a wedding invitation....only to have it RECALLED about a week later when the JWs realized that we were sent the invite. Yes, this is true. After getting the invitation and mailing in our RSVP, we received a phone call from my mother-in-law explaining that there was a "change in plans" and the whole family was no longer invited and that we can't go. My niece didn't even have the decency to call us herself. The wedding was held and we stood home in disbelief. So, there is some background. Now, the shocker...my Elder brother-in-law called my husband today and left him a voicemail that said, "I haven't talked to you in a while. Call me at XXX-XXX-XXX. I just want to see how you are doing". My husband is beside himself. His brother hasn't spoken to him in YEARS. My husband says that he will return the call sometime today.

What the hell is going on with these people? They have choosen not to socialize with us for many, many years and suddenly...they check up on us. Are they taught this crap? Are there ever talks at the meetings about reconnecting with lost family? I am thinking that SOMETHING must have been said at a meeting to compel his brother to call us. Could this be a sign that his Elder brother is second guessing that religion (I doubt this one)? BTW, in the past, his brothers never preached to my husband, so I am certain that this phone call isn't to recruit or convince my husband to join the JWs. It has been so long since we've talked to anyone from his family, besides my mooching mother-in-law, that they have NO IDEA WHERE WE LIVE or what our home phone number is. My bro-in-law was able to get my hubby's cell phone number from their mother. How sad is that?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Typical, though I am now curious as to what your bil wants to talk about with your husband

• Scully
    Scully

Be prepared to deflect another mooch attempt.

After 15 years of shunning you, this would be likely the only reason for them to contact you out of the blue.

And I would also turn off the money faucet for the mother-in-law. Her contact with you should not have a price tag for you.

• talesin
    talesin

I'm wondering if someone is sick ... my brother called me after 17 years, and said he just wanted to see me. He took me out for a beer. I was cautious (only had one beer, as I wanted to keep my head), and after we had our drink, we walked back to my place for a 'chat'. Then, after 3 hours, the real reason for his wanting to see me came up.

He said, "I was talking to mom and dad about their will, and just wanted to know if you are going to cause any problems when that day comes." I was floored, and told him that I had more class than that, and had already told our parents that it is their will, and whatever they choose to do with their possessions is what I will abide by. I would tell hubby "Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best."

tal

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Your husband could have some fun with his mooching shunning brother by telling him that the pastor of the church he now attends has told him he must shun unbelievers. Let his brother explain why that is the wrong thing to do.

• blondie
    blondie
    "I was talking to mom and dad about their will, and just wanted to know if you are going to cause any problems when that day comes."
    tal, doesn't it always come down to money?

You had already told your parents that you would abide by their decision.

Maybe your brother is judging you by how he would act.

Sad, sad, sad.

Blondie

• talesin
    talesin

Blondie,

Thanks.

You are SPOT ON. My parents have realized this as well, and just shake their heads. I feel sorry for my brother, to tell you the truth. He has missed out on having the best sister money can't buy.

tal

• avishai
    avishai
    He said, "I was talking to mom and dad about their will, and just wanted to know if you are going to cause any problems when that day comes." I was floored, and told him that I had more class than that, and had already told our parents that it is their will, and whatever they choose to do with their possessions is what I will abide by.

If a relative had done this to me I wouldve had a similar reaction, however, it would'nt be me that was floored!!

• Purza
    Purza
    "I haven't talked to you in a while. Call me at XXX-XXX-XXX. I just want to see how you are doing".

Is it possible that his brother may be having doubts and is trying to put his feelers out to see who would support him if he left the org.? Maybe?

Just a thought.

Purza

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

My hubby just tried calling his Elder brother, but his brother is out in "field service". So, hubby will try calling back later. I am so curious as to what this reaching out is all about. Hmmmm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit