I Can't Believe JW Relative Called

by Jeannine 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

Talesin, absolutely spot-on advice: "Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best."

I also like Nathan's idea. Let any mooching relative that your pastor has instructed you to shun all moochers.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

No contact for 15 years? What could there possibly be to talk about after all that time? He'd probably have more in common with a telemarketer. I'm surprised he's returning the call. I'm surprised they even have your phone number.

W

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

Finally-free: His brother doesn't have our telephone number. He was able to contact my husband by obtaining my husband's cell phone number through their mother. The only reason their mother even had the cell number was because my husband made it a point to go to her house some time ago and give it to her. Otherwise, these people don't have our home number or address. Not one of them has ever, ever been to our house. In fact, the wedding invitation we received several years ago for a niece's wedding was mailed to my husband's JOB because they had no clue where we lived. Sad.

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

BTW, as I sit here waiting for my hubby to call his bro back, the JW's are KNOCKING AT MY DOOR. The JW's that are knocking are in no way associated with my hubby's family, as they live out of town. So, the ones that are knocking as I type (and making my friggin dogs bark like crazy) are just bugging us for the hell of it. I am going to go and see what kind of "good news" they left in my door today.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

It could be in response to the DC talk about contacting and reactivating the 'inactive' or the lost. It could be some 'necessary family business' that circumvents the talmudic instruction on dfed ones. But it could be that he's thought that life is short, that not contacting his own kith and kin for so long is crazily unreasonable. I know that hubby and I contacted our dfed niece a couple of years ago - our consciences had pricked us even when loyal dubs, but we had still shunned her for many years (certain family dynamics had also previously prevented us from following our hearts) and we decided to email her and unreservedly apologize for our treatment of her, which she happily accepted and has gone a long way to heal the rift. So you never know ...

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

I just picked up the WT that the JW's left at my door a few minutes ago. I don't want to change the topic of this thread about my bro-in-law, but I have to mention this:

In the latest WT, "Do You Recognize The Sign", there is a two page article on higher education. Holy crap...these people are against their members getting college degrees. I have heard of JWs being discouraged from college, but this article really says it all. I am shocked and disgusted that any religion would take the position that college is not only unnecessary, but BAD for you ! What a bunch of freaks. Now, back to my original topic.....

We are still waiting for my bro-in-law to get home and speak to my husband after 15 YEARS.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Is there any way you could scan the article and email it to me???

W

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

While it’s easy to be pessimistic in this situation, if it were me, I would try to keep an open mind, at least until he started preaching to me or asking for financial aid. It wouldn’t take long for me to get off the phone at that point.

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

Finally-Free,

I just scanned the article for you. If you send me your email address, I'll sent it over to you. This article appears in the WT dated 10-01-05 ("Do You Recognize The Sign?"). The article begins on page 26 and is entitled, "Parents-What Future Do You Want For Your Children?". The specific references to higher education is in this article under the sub-title, "Preparing for the Future". The WT SLAMS higher education in a long, 5-page analysis on why it is better to pioneer than to go to school !!! I have scanned all 5 pages for anyone who wants a copy.

I just recieved this WT on my doorstep about an hour ago and I still can't get over the shock of what I've read. I can't believe that a JW had a nerve to bring this garbage to my house with a twisted belief that I just may tell my children NOT TO GO TO SCHOOL. WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

I am trying to email the article on education in the WT to some of you, but my email uploading is all screwed up. Everytime I go to upload, my connection crashes. I will gladly fax the article immediately to anyone who gives me their fax number. Or, I can try emailing the article again to everyone later on today. Maybe my email server is down or something. The article has 5 pages and it is definately worth reading. I have never in my life seen any right-minded organization frown on education. Also, the article makes reference to a quote taken from Time magazine. I found the specific Time magazine article online and NOWHERE in the article(s) does Time mention the quote given to it by the Watchtower. In fact, the article in Time magazine was, naturally, PRO-EDUCATION.

If anyone else has the WT, dated 10-01-05 "Do You Recognize The Sign" and is able to scan and upload for emailing out, please let us know so that we can share the article (no thanks to my crappy email software). Also, if anyone else cares, research the article in Time magazine, dated January 24, 2005 (volume 165 No 4) and see if you can find this quote that is attributed to them by the WT, "...Meanwhile, those expensive, time-sucking college diplomas have become worthless than ever". I have read, and reread that Times edition and can't find that quote.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit