Do you vote now?

by sass_my_frass 26 Replies latest jw friends

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I dont, and unless someone comes up that I really like I wont in the future either.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I vote. It may not make any difference in the outcome of national elections, but it is my opportunity to make my wishes known to the people I pay a hefty percentage of my income to.

Individual votes do matter for local elections.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Mah man just suggested that if witnesses voted they'd expect to get a say in the running of other organsations that control their life, like, say, the congregation, or choosing their branch overseer, etc.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Voting is compulsory in Australia.

But I vote for the same reasons as noted above, to make a difference in my local and national governance. IMO how can I seriously comment about political issues if I just sit on the fence?

Some of our local elections can be won or lost on a handful of votes, I want mine to count.

• Purza
    Purza

Yes I vote now. I registered before the last presidential election. I don't feel liberated, and I do feel that every vote counts. Here where I live there was a measure on the ballot to get the freeway widened and 66.6% (or something like that) was needed for it to pass and we got 68% -- in that circumstance I feel like my vote counted.

Purza

• pandora
    pandora

I voted this year. For the first time. I feel that it does count, even if my guy didn't win. Now when I complain about the sitting president, I do it with the knowledge that I tried to get his butt out of there. There just weren't enough of me to get him out. It was really close though. When he screws up as royally as he has recently, I must say, I feel sad that we didn't succeed. IMHO P(J)

• defd
    defd

no voting here. Man can not direct even ONE step of his without Gods direction. How can I expect him to direct mine? History shows that without a doubt.I made my one and only vote for a president when I dedicated my life to Jehovah and that was for his Son Jesus to be President (King) over me.

D.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Yes, I vote and I belong to and work for a political party. One day I hope to influence policy enough to severely restrict the activities of Jehovah's Witnesses.

W

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Man can not direct even ONE step of his without Gods direction. How can I expect him to direct mine?

Political leaders don't really DIRECT ones life. However they do often create policies and laws that have direct or indirect influence on how society operates, and eventually on your life as an individual. Even the good 'ol WT Society has to operate under the regulations of lawmakers.

If you want to help create a good atmosphere in which your life operates, and if your society gives you the privilege to vote, then why not try and help get the best people into office?

As a JW the rationale was "we are no part of the world just like Christ wasn't". Well if you take that to its absolute extreme, you could argue that JW's should stop using money.

Of course everyone has to participate in this system to some extent, in order to basically survive.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Man can not direct even ONE step of his without Gods direction.

Is that why he gave us brains? So we can refuse to use them unless he's holding our hand every minute?

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit