Do you vote now?

by sass_my_frass 26 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    I voted while I was a Witness and just kept it to myself, my state does a mail in ballet. I was registered a Republican and not I am Independent. Which drives some people nuts as they say you must draw a line in your politics. I disagree!

Unfortunately in Oregon you are only allowed to vote party line in the primaries. So I changed from Independent to Democrat. I feel this is a disenfranchisement of my rights as an american citizen and as a citizen of Oregon and have written letters to my congressmen and representatives at both state and national levels. I have voted for about 12 years. I've been out for about 30! It took THAT LONG to get comfortable with the concept, let alone action. Before being a card-carrying voter, I did keep (mostly) quiet on my opinion as to government issues. However, now I not only excercise my freedom of speech, but it is underscored by my responsibility as a voter. My vote counts. Even it is is only one of the 49% that voted against Bush this last election, and one of the 51% that voted against Bush in the previous election.

Liberating, and sometimes disheartening. But my responsibility none-the-less.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I vote. I feel that it's my duty as a citizen.

• Carol
    Carol

I vote, I feel that if I don't vote then I have no right to complain about what is going on. JW's don't vote as "they are no part of this world", however I notice they use the laws and politics to their advantage whenever possible.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I voted for the first time last November. I figure that in my local elections, it's very important for me to have my say....

As for national elections, well....I'm an independent. I don't know how much my vote counts...but it does feel rather cathartic.

Ern

• free2beme
    free2beme
    Unfortunately in Oregon you are only allowed to vote party line in the primaries. So I changed from Independent to Democrat. I feel this is a disenfranchisement of my rights as an american citizen and as a citizen of Oregon and have written letters to my congressmen and representatives at both state and national levels.

I agree, but there was issues brought up in debate that to do what you suggest could result in people of the opposing party flooding the votes to canidates that would be the weakest again their man/woman. If that makes sense. This happened in South Carolina this last time and has proven to be an issue.

• chrissy
    chrissy
    voted for the first time last November

same here.

it was quite memorable...in my district it was held in an old boat house in a tiny sea side village in rhode island...on the perfect fall day. i wore my cutest outfit, encouraged everyone at work to come along, and proudly donned an "i voted" sticker afterwards.

i was so thrilled to be there, while waiting in line some poll police told me to "shhhh". apparently you cannot talk about who your voting for once inside as to not influence votes i guess. but it was rhode island afterall. like there were any doubts to be had.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Yeah, I vote now. I feel that if I don't vote then I have no right to complain when things don't go the way they should.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit